Panos Ghekas

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
Dear jOrganists,

With deep sadness I announce the death of a dear friend Panos Ghekas.

Maria, his wife, has just posted this:

https://www.facebook.com/panos.ghekas/posts/944004195645516?notif_t=close_friend_activity

Although, I had an inkling into his illness, his passing away is still a tragic loss to all of us. I had the privilege to talk to him a few times on the phone over the past 3 years as he helped me so professionally with my project which you all know about by now.

Despite the distance, and the fact that we never met in person, we had, nevertheless, developed a close bond between us and managed to work in synch with each other up until shortly before his illness became apparent.

The last time we communicated was just a couple of months ago when he sent me several files he had just processed for me to continue processing as we prepared to develop the Fontana (Gozo) organ. This organ will be published in tribute to his memory, what must be his last work to the virtual organ community.

Graham Goode has been kind to take over Panos' role to complete this sampleset based on the plan drawn out by Panos himself.

Panos, I wish we met on Mamma Mia Island as you had promised! May you rest in God's eternal peace.

Sincere condolences to his family!

Re: Panos Ghekas

grahamg
Many of us knew Panos through his virtual organ work, and many of us
have worked with him on various projects - either testing for him, or
working (virtually) along side him preparing samples and dispositions.
We are saddened at being parted from him, and pray for him and his
family at this time of parting and sorrow.

I will always remember Panos' enthusiasm and joy, as well as his
willingness to push boundaries and help other people! Panos, we will
miss you. May you rest in Peace.

Re: Panos Ghekas

Oh! Bless him with eternal life, then . . .

On 09/29/2015 06:32 AM, Dr Mark Bugeja MD wrote:

> Dear jOrganists,
>
> With deep sadness I announce the death of a dear friend Panos Ghekas.
>
> Maria, his wife, has just posted this:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/panos.ghekas/posts/944004195645516?notif_t=close_friend_activity
>
> Although, I had an inkling into his illness, his passing away is still a
> tragic loss to all of us. I had the privilege to talk to him a few times on
> the phone over the past 3 years as he helped me so professionally with my
> project which you all know about by now.
>
> Despite the distance, and the fact that we never met in person, we had,
> nevertheless, developed a close bond between us and managed to work in synch
> with each other up until shortly before his illness became apparent.
>
> The last time we communicated was just a couple of months ago when he sent
> me several files he had just processed for me to continue processing as we
> prepared to develop the Fontana (Gozo) organ. This organ will be published
> in tribute to his memory, what must be his last work to the virtual organ
> community.
>
> Graham Goode has been kind to take over Panos' role to complete this
> sampleset based on the plan drawn out by Panos himself.
>
> Panos, I wish we met on Mamma Mia Island as you had promised! May you rest
> in God's eternal peace.
>
> Sincere condolences to his family!

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Panos Ghekas

That's very sad news.

I will remember Panos for his positive attitude and helpfulness, this is
a loss for us jOrganists.

My deepest condolences to his family.

Sven

On 29.09.2015 12:32, Dr Mark Bugeja MD wrote:

> Dear jOrganists,
>
> With deep sadness I announce the death of a dear friend Panos Ghekas.
>
> Maria, his wife, has just posted this:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/panos.ghekas/posts/944004195645516?notif_t=close_friend_activity
>
> Although, I had an inkling into his illness, his passing away is still a
> tragic loss to all of us. I had the privilege to talk to him a few times on
> the phone over the past 3 years as he helped me so professionally with my
> project which you all know about by now.
>
> Despite the distance, and the fact that we never met in person, we had,
> nevertheless, developed a close bond between us and managed to work in synch
> with each other up until shortly before his illness became apparent.
>
> The last time we communicated was just a couple of months ago when he sent
> me several files he had just processed for me to continue processing as we
> prepared to develop the Fontana (Gozo) organ. This organ will be published
> in tribute to his memory, what must be his last work to the virtual organ
> community.
>
> Graham Goode has been kind to take over Panos' role to complete this
> sampleset based on the plan drawn out by Panos himself.
>
> Panos, I wish we met on Mamma Mia Island as you had promised! May you rest
> in God's eternal peace.
>
> Sincere condolences to his family!

Re: Panos Ghekas

Mark,

Thank you for informing us with this sad news. This is a great loss to his family and colleagues and to us with whom Panos shared his great love of the organ and its music.

I take very seriously Jesus’ promise to His disciples that great joy would follow their present sadness, and I understand that in the most general way, referring it particularly to the life to come, where I firmly believe all our present achievements, loves and relationships will be caught up in a glorious eternity of God’s love. And so I believe that nothing worthwhile will finally be lost.

With a sad but expectant heart,

Re: Panos Ghekas

Pete Theisen
Amen, Reverend, Amen . . .

On 09/29/2015 04:56 PM, John Reimer wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Thank you for informing us with this sad news. This is a great loss to his
> family and colleagues and to us with whom Panos shared his great love of the
> organ and its music.
>
> I take very seriously Jesus’ promise to His disciples that great joy would
> follow their present sadness, and I understand that in the most general way,
> referring it particularly to the life to come, where I firmly believe all
> our present achievements, loves and relationships will be caught up in a
> glorious eternity of God’s love. And so I believe that nothing worthwhile
> will finally be lost.
>
> With a sad but expectant heart,
> John Reimer

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Panos Ghekas

drwilx
I am so sad to hear of the passing of Panos. He was a great supporter of the jOrgan community and a real joy to communicate with. He will be greatly missed. Rest in Peace my friend.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Dennis

Re: Panos Ghekas

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
Nice words, John.

Panos worked at VPOs with such passion for the pipe organ with a soft spot for the smaller instruments, even with just 2 stops! He had sent me one such VPO as a gift. This organ has just the Quintadena 8' and Spitzflote 4' stops "always to be played together".

Let us not forget his other particular love - that for the harpsichord.

What is most remarkable about him was his positiveness, optimism and words of encouragement.

Mark

Re: Panos Ghekas

JacLevy
Adieu mon ami.
You'll live in my heart forever.
Jacques

Re: Panos Ghekas

Ferry1012
The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones have been quiet on the side of God. May the family which is left behind are given the strength to get through this difficult time.

Rest In Peace Mr. Panos Ghekas
BCA

Re: Panos Ghekas

BCA
My deepest sympathy to his wife and family.

My pagan consciousness allows me to say, there isn't anything like life and death, except in men's imagination. Panos, I know you're with us and will ever be present, in your work, your ideas, your thoughts you shared, and in your soul's voice coming from your instruments to us.

But what a tremendous, irreplaceable and inexpressable loss I must experience those day.

'til then, my friend. See you later ;-)
all the best,
BCA

Re: Panos Ghekas

It is Panos’ helpful, informed advice, his wit and his knowledge of the subject which I will remember.
This is the second time in just over a month that a member of an organ forum to which I belong has
passed on.  We lost the moderator of the Pipes Spectacular forum of Yahoo Groups in mid-August.
The common interest which engages us all tends to overshadow the fact that we are all
mortal, human beings.  Yet, the organ is that mournful “beast that never breathes,” transcending the
affairs of men, for which it breathes with a purpose.
Unlike Panos, I am speechless.

Re: Panos Ghekas

John M
May I add my voice to those expressing grief at the loss of a friend to our world.  His work was truly remarkable, and will live on for a long time.  His spirit of kindness and helpfulness were even more important and far-reaching.  I hope his family knows how much he meant to so many, even people he never met even virtually online.

John M
John Maher

Re: Panos Ghekas

Brian Sweetnam
I am also still quite shocked by this loss.  It was very unexpected for me. Panos used to spend some days 'talking' me through step by step, in helping me to get my disposition working.

I think (but I am not sure) there have also been other people that have died on this forum, but they were not specifically announced in any way, so we might only realise after a long time, that they are no longer active....

Re: Panos Ghekas

Patic von Ahn
From a "Zaungast" (i.e. a dedicated silent listener). What a loss! I have learnt so much from his numerous posts. I have been with you, all of you of the jOrgan community for I don't know how many years, enjoyed the fruits of your incredible labour, well, and had of course as well my trouble with it. I enjoyed the Balzan Organ with its breathy pipes, very diffrent from all the other dispositions. It would be great, if the truth be so clear and straightforward as it is in so many chants and hymns I practiced with all your dispositions. But in my humble opinion it is an illusion, a consolation, a most wonderfull one. The greater is the loss. Panos, we do miss you and my deepest condolences to your family, and to us, if I may say so, for, as much as he was involved and engaged in the project one might think of jOrgan as his second family.

Re: Panos Ghekas

Quido
Very sad about the disappearance of Panos.
He very kindly responded to my technical questions and accomplishments were remarkable.
Thinking about it, I played some pieces on the very delicate little French organ he had done long ago "Paradigma". It was just the beginning of my discovery jOrgan and I really liked.
He will remain in our memory with all its generosity.

Dominique

Re: Panos Ghekas

pcstratman
Panos' website is no longer online. Looking through my files, I had his version of Jeuxdorgue 1, the G. F. Walther organ in Oberhausbergen.

With some minor adaptations, I am making this available to jOrgan users.

[From the pdf in the disposition package:]

Panos Ghekas was an enthusiastic musician and a creative innovator in the world of virtual organs. He worked with both jOrgan and GrandOrgue virtual organ softwares. He passed away in September 2015.

In 2010 he made his version of Jeuxdorgue 1, the G. F. Walther organ in Oberhausbergen, which was available as a soundfont trough http://www.jeuxdorgues.com/

In memory of Panos, his disposition has been updated for jOrgan 3.20. For convenience of the user, the elements have been sorted into groups, and some graphics were renamed. Only one significant change was made to Panos’ disposition: a Fluidsynth reverb system was added.

The soundfont had a mild stereo pan added, along with scaled releases. A few samples were relooped.

https://stratmaninstruments.joomla.com/jorgan-disposition-packages/17-g-f-walther-organ-oberhausbergen-jeuxdorgue-1

Re: Panos Ghekas

JacLevy
Paul,