PDQ Arduino controllers

Julie Porter
Roy Roy Radford bemused in regards to arduino based relays.

27 nS per frame... Now that's what I call PDQ by any standard!    [image:
*:)) laughing]

Welcome to the 21st century. This is audio, not video.  It is actually quite slow in comparison.

Surprisingly I do keep the scope on the 500 nS or 2.7uS division to see the frame headers.  A good relay like UNIFlex has parameter for managing the cable delay in the nS range too.   This is how fast the old electromechanical relays were when the contact blocks fired.  Anything else and a top flight performer will call the action sluggish.  Personally I think it has to do with phase effects, but there are Audiophiles that claim to hear the difference between red and green light and would use special green ink pens to mark the edges of the CDs,  (I kid you not.)  Look at any forum and gear rating and they will refer to the Jidder quality of Digital audio.  Some will even tell you the quality of the copper in the cable affects sound..  That the weight of the gear determines quality. (Sony used to put lead and iron blocks into the Walkman to give them some heft.)  At least pipe organs win that one.  One of the organs I work on just installed a 2 ton lift for the console in the orchestra pit.  So we win in at tonnage per note department.

An Ardiono is clocked at 16 MHz or a frequency of 6.25e-08 seconds per instruction.  I have a piano roll scanner that is USB clocked at 1 Mhz.   The Arduino based relay is relatively slow in that it uses a baud rate of 500000 for the RS422.  The input side using hardware SPI acceleration , can actually read 8 bits in as fast as the slew rate of the 74HC series chip.

The trick is that it is all in the libraries, and the user has no idea what is really happening. It simply works. Is easy to use, and anyone under 40 knows what it is.  (even a few of us a few years shy of 60 can do it too.) I have even seen 80 year olds in the Maker space wanting to learn 'Arduino.'

Re: PDQ Arduino controllers

RoyR
O/T.

Hi, Julie,

               Thanks for a very interesting reply! As a matter of fact I'm also 80 years young, 40 of them spent as an electronic design engineer. One of the oscilloscopes I helped to design, back in the dark ages when they were based on a big glass bottle with a little electric fire at one end, had a rise time of 3.5 nS (Bandwidth 100 MHz). I didn't expect to come across that sort of speed in audio circles. unless, of course, you are looking at the internal clock of a computer used for audio purposes, can't say I've ever had any occasion to do that!

   I've never tried Arduino, I have a couple of Raspberry Pi boards around the place and have tinkered with them a bit. Does that make me modern?    *:)) laughing