Quantcast

Note on and Note off for stop and pistons....

Note on and Note off for stop and pistons....

BrianS
I would like to know, how to interface a real world momentary switch to a jOrgan stop or piston or coupler and so on.

I am thinking that it might be done with "Activate" and "Deactivate" messages, that correspond to the midi channel and note number that will control this stop or piston or coupler or whatever? Is this correct, or am I missing it completely?

Re: Note on and Note off for stop and pistons....

grahamg
Hi Brian,

A momentary switch would send a Note On message at contact and then a Note Off message at release. That's probably not what you're looking for in regard to a Stop... so the Toggle MIDI control would work better. First push would put the Stop on, next push would turn it off. For a combination piston I would use the Activate / Deactivate as the action of the combination change takes place during the Activate phase, and then having the Piston return to an off state is normal.

GG

On Apr 8, 2017 at 8:08 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would like to know, how to interface a real world momentary switch to a

jOrgan stop or piston or coupler and so on.

I am thinking that it might be done with "Activate" and "Deactivate"
messages, that correspond to the midi channel and note number that will
control this stop or piston or coupler or whatever? Is this correct, or am I
missing it completely?

Re: Note on and Note off for stop and pistons....

BrianS
Thank you Graham.  I will be using somespare channels on my midi encoder, and it can only send note on and note off messages.

Re: Note on and Note off for stop and pistons....

RoyR
   The note off part won't do anything unless you set it to something. In the case of combinations you could just ignore it and set the duration to zero.

On 8 April 2017 at 20:29, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Graham.  I will be using somespare channels on my midi encoder, and
it can only send note on and note off messages.

Re: Note on and Note off for stop and pistons....

Hi Brian

All pistons in the Christie disposition are already set-up to respond to Program Change MIDI messages these should be from momentary switches.
There is no reason why these could not be Note On messages.

If you look at properties of tabs you should find a section with Note On messages already filled in. I don't remember which section.
You can experiment just using a keyboard.

On my Web page the document about MIDI messages for virtual organ might help.