Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

12

Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Peter Hanlon
Hi

I am not a musician. I built a Schober electronic organ in 1970, and this year have almost completed a MIDIfication exercise in gutting it, and installing an Arduino and several DIN R5 PCBs which communicate via USB to a Mac OSX running a custom application utilising Fluidsynth. The Arduino side is impressive  in terms of the hardware simplicity, and most of the connections into the DIN boards can be paralleled, with most wiring happening on a common terminal strip at the rear of the swell and great manuals, with a single 10-way ribbon connector supporting say C2-G2 swell, great and pedal, and 8 stops or aux instruments.
So the Arduino output almost falls into a bus regime, with a bus allocated to swell, to great, to pedals, and to stops/aux instruments; and the output record pretty much consists of a bus indicator, and printable hex array for the switches on the bus, issued when something on the bus changes, and neatly concentrated on the one USB.

I would like to try jOrgan. The OSX application that I have constructed works fine, but as a black box without the visual impact of jOrgan. Fluidsynth was a difficult experience, but I am familiar with it now. Because of the number of stops and auxiliary percussion instruments, I raised the channel limit to 32 from 16, and I also coped with selection from multiple sound fonts.

My query is simple enough. Would I have any chance of transforming this input within a jOrgan data ‘exit’ or somesuch to perhaps fooling jOrgan into thinking that it was dealing with multiple port input?

Any of my Arduino or OSX code is available.

PeterH
BCA

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

BCA
Administrator
Hi Peter,

welcome aboard - you seem to have registered with the jOrgan Archive at Nabble, and not with the jOrgan mailing list. So your post isn't forwarded into the list yet.

Please visit here

and register with the mailing list, so all members will get your posts.

Thank you.
all the best,
BCA

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Peter Hanlon
Thanks BCA, I obviously missed the subscription step. Should I resend the original query - I don't want to burden anyone with duplicates etc.

Σχετ: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Panos K. Ghekas
Hi Peter, welcome aboard !
Well, I didn't receive your original query. So this is your first post for me. No problem to re-send here on the list.

Best
Panos

Στις 2:11 π.μ. Τετάρτη, 24 Σεπτεμβρίου 2014, ο/η Peter Hanlon <[hidden email]> έγραψε:

PeterH

Σχετ: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Panos K. Ghekas
Hi Peter,

On windows we use LooMidi as the loopback driver to route different midi signal to anywhere.
AFAIK on Mac there's no need to install a third party loopback software as there is one (IAC driver) as native to Mac OS.
Here's some info : http://www.synfire.com/content/setting-loopback-driver-mac

have you tried this ? Or did I misunderstood your query ?
jOrgan accepts multi port input and also outputs to.

Interesting info on Arduino setup !

Best
Panos

Στις 11:44 π.μ. Τετάρτη, 24 Σεπτεμβρίου 2014, ο/η Peter Hanlon <[hidden email]> έγραψε:

[...]

your software has to behave like anything jOrgan is able to read from:
Midi messages or the computer keyboard.

With some programming in jOrgan itself you might be able to connect it
to some custom protocol, e.g. reading from USB input.
Let me know if you need help for this.

Have fun
Sven

On 09/24/2014 10:44 AM, Peter Hanlon wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am not a musician. I built a Schober electronic organ in 1970, and this
> year have almost completed a MIDIfication exercise in gutting it, and
> installing an Arduino and several DIN R5 PCBs which communicate via USB to a
> Mac OSX running a custom application utilising Fluidsynth. The Arduino side
> is impressive  in terms of the hardware simplicity, and most of the
> connections into the DIN boards can be paralleled, with most wiring
> happening on a common terminal strip at the rear of the swell and great
> manuals, with a single 10-way ribbon connector supporting say C2-G2 swell,
> great and pedal, and 8 stops or aux instruments.
> So the Arduino output almost falls into a bus regime, with a bus allocated
> to swell, to great, to pedals, and to stops/aux instruments; and the output
> record pretty much consists of a bus indicator, and printable hex array for
> the switches on the bus, issued when something on the bus changes, and
> neatly concentrated on the one USB.
>
> I would like to try jOrgan. The OSX application that I have constructed
> works fine, but as a black box without the visual impact of jOrgan.
> Fluidsynth was a difficult experience, but I am familiar with it now.
> Because of the number of stops and auxiliary percussion instruments, I
> raised the channel limit to 32 from 16, and I also coped with selection from
> multiple sound fonts.
>
> My query is simple enough. Would I have any chance of transforming this
> input within a jOrgan data ‘exit’ or somesuch to perhaps fooling jOrgan into
> thinking that it was dealing with multiple port input?
>
> Any of my Arduino or OSX code is available.
>
> PeterH

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Peter Hanlon
Thanks Sven. I am sure that I have read about data entry modifications in jOrgan, but I can't find a reference to browse. Please just point me at something to look at. I have a simple character data record consisting of 19bytes, consisting of char 1: bus indicator, chars 2-3: vol shoe, chars 4-19: hex chars for the bus data for say a 61-key manual, or the states of the stop switches etc. In terms of stops and aux instruments I have more than 16 limit within MIDI, so I am in strife there. I have full control over the USB record. The Arduino could probably handle 6 or 8 buses of 64 bits, limited more by the number of available digital pins for the buses than readout times per se, and the Intel Edison, Raspberry Pi world is only going to make it worse.

One other admin query. Is there a convenient place to drop code if there is any interest?

Re: Σχετ: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Peter Hanlon
Thanks Panos, I will research the link that you graciously provided.
BCA

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

BCA
Hi Peter,

"One other admin query. Is there a convenient place to drop code if there is any interest?"

-- we just had a terrible experience with sourceforge regarding our jOrgan Wiki; nevertheless, the jOrgan sources are stored at sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jorgan/

and so far, I've just resurrected our jOrgan Wiki here:
http://jorgan.argonon.de/

I wished I could install a php-something like trac on my server, so we could host precious sources at an own jorgan place, but I haven't found a secure solution so far.

Perhaps I should install another Mediawiki for programmers only? Hosting and managing code and/or extensions should be easy then...

all the best,
BCA

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

mathom
[...]

While I can't answer your question, I am very interested in your console. I have a Schober that I got free when a neighbor downsized to a smaller house. I have yet to do anything with it but would like to gut it and "MIDIfy" it for use with JOrgan. I am most interested at the moment in what you did with the keyboards. Did you keep the Schober keyboards and modify them or did you replace them with other keyboards. If you modified the Schober keyboards I would be very interested in how you did that. Did you by any chance document your modifications and/or take any pictures? Any help or advice you could offer would be most appreciated.

...matthew...

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Peter Hanlon
Hi Matthew,
The Schober keyboards did need to be modified to turn them into 'switches'. I have a few pages on it that I obtained from a group of Schober enthusiasts in USA. I will send the relevant bits to you by email. The main hassle that I encountered, was over 45 years the little black mounting posts that secure the PCB to the keyboard frame had become brittle, and sheared off. Other plastic was in perfect shape. I haven't got jOrgan going myself, but I have got a decent connection to fluid synth running. I have my original Scober construction manual, but you don't need it if you take the 'gut' path. My background is system programming, but I have a reasonable clue on Arduino, and am comfortable with a soldering iron. I will send you the Arduino code for interest. Note also that if I understand it correctly, the standard MIDI approach takes every 'switch' out to its own position on a MIDI DIN board. The Arduino approach gangs multiple 'switches' to a common position on the MIDI DIN, and switches the underlying keyboard/pedal/stop bus to readout the bus values. I have finished up with a few bits of electronics on the ledge under the top lid, and the main cabinet could support wine storage.
I am going to persist with jOrgan - it is only a simple matter of software somewhere, and it is a very open and welcoming forum.
Peter

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

colinw
Hi
I just finished converting a Schober (recital, 2 manual, full pedal board) to MIDI. I used the original keyboards, modified by cutting the tracks to get the switching to 5V for each key. It was straightforward to cut the tracks so that each key i) switched to all the bus bars to give reliable contacts and ii) all the bus bars were set at 5V. The tracks on the back of the keyboards were quite obvious, so I didnt need any circuit notes or paper work on these.

I too had to replace the mounts under the keyboards - I used cut pieces of plastic pens. The mods to the two keyboards took about half a day: pull out all the old wiring, cut the circuit board tracks with a small engraving whizzer, solder the bus bars together for the 5V rail, solder ribbon cable to each key contact.

The pedal board already had magnetic reed switching so that was easy.

For MIDI I used the midiboutique.com.au HWCE2 bundle #1 package. The parts arrived in the post, it was simple to install and connect up and worked first time. I looked at constructing my own MIDI electronics but  could not beat the time/price of those boards. They come with a free software setup utility for setting the swell shoe pots etc.

I used a MIDI (from the HWCE2 board) to USB cable to connect to a laptop running jOrgan and just plugged the sound card output into the stereo amp and speakers in the living room. The wife is happy!

I also have quite a few Schober bits left over (generator boards, a mechanical stop memory system)!

Happy to share any info

Cheers

Colin (Australia)

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Peter

I have not understood what it is you want to do in jOrgan?

There are many of us with all sorts of different MIDI devices and combination of MIDI devices feeding into jOrgan.  jOrgan is very flexible in how it can accept MIDI messages.

Are you wanting to link your hardware to an existing disposition (if so which one)?
Or are you wanting to create a disposition to make a virtual version of your own organ?

I would suggest you start by linking your hardware to an existing disposition.  Start with a simple one and build up to more complex.
If you want to build your own disposition, again start with an existing one and learn the internal workings function by function.  This is the only way you will work out how it all goes together.  A large and complex disposition, is just multiple layers of repetition.

Let us know where to start offering you help?
There are a number of us here who will answer question after question, but we need a specific question.

On 26 September 2014 08:38, Peter Hanlon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matthew,
The Schober keyboards did need to be modified to turn them into 'switches'.
I have a few pages on it that I obtained from a group of Schober enthusiasts
in USA. I will send the relevant bits to you by email. The main hassle that
I encountered, was over 45 years the little black mounting posts that secure
the PCB to the keyboard frame had become brittle, and sheared off. Other
plastic was in perfect shape. I haven't got jOrgan going myself, but I have
got a decent connection to fluid synth running. I have my original Scober
construction manual, but you don't need it if you take the 'gut' path. My
background is system programming, but I have a reasonable clue on Arduino,
and am comfortable with a soldering iron. I will send you the Arduino code
for interest. Note also that if I understand it correctly, the standard MIDI
approach takes every 'switch' out to its own position on a MIDI DIN board.
The Arduino approach gangs multiple 'switches' to a common position on the
MIDI DIN, and switches the underlying keyboard/pedal/stop bus to readout the
bus values. I have finished up with a few bits of electronics on the ledge
under the top lid, and the main cabinet could support wine storage.
I am going to persist with jOrgan - it is only a simple matter of software
somewhere, and it is a very open and welcoming forum.
Peter

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

>From what I can gather from this thread, Peter is using an Audino
based microelectronic switching system to input console signals to the
PC. It is not MIDI, but a generic Serial communications system. He has
a proprietary app that interprets the signals and outputs sounds.

He would like to integrate the system with jOrgan.

What he needs to do is either write a driver to take the Audino Serial
switching inputs to MIDI, or write a jOrgan module to take the Audino
signals and translate them to jOrgan internal MIDI.

Kind regards,

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

greenfox

Thanks Graham

I get it now.

I thought Arduino had a MIDI library.  Maybe he could use all his hardware and just use different code that the PC would see as MIDI even with a USB connection.
jOrgan is a MIDI relay. MIDI in, MIDI out.

On 26/09/2014 5:21 PM, "Graham Goode" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

>From what I can gather from this thread, Peter is using an Audino
based microelectronic switching system to input console signals to the
PC. It is not MIDI, but a generic Serial communications system. He has
a proprietary app that interprets the signals and outputs sounds.

He would like to integrate the system with jOrgan.

What he needs to do is either write a driver to take the Audino Serial
switching inputs to MIDI, or write a jOrgan module to take the Audino
signals and translate them to jOrgan internal MIDI.

Kind regards,

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

Peter Hanlon
Hi Graham,
I think that it is probably easiest to bite the bullet and move some of the MIDI production into the Arduino, so that it not a leap too far in jOrgan. What I can't determine so far is what a merged MIDI stream looks like as it heads up the USB. Is there any notion of a hierarchy of stream and 16 channels within stream, or are channels still unique across stream? Or is it one stream one USB anyway.

In the Mac OSX application that I have successfully driving fluid synth, I have essentially allocated 32 synth channels, of which stops are permanently allocated one, and rotary switches share one per rotary. So program select linking the stop to a sound font preset happens when the application starts, and for a rotary switch member like a Honky Tonk piano when the switch setting changes. I can't use this methodology with 16 MIDI channels so just need to work out how it can be done.

Thanks for your contribution to the entire Organ scene.

Peter

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

greenfox
Hi Peter

jOrgan does all of this switching.  What I think you are thinking about is the output from jOrgan.  jOrgan takes MIDI IN in the form of note on off messages, you then select the sounds you want using tabs on your PC screen (which can also be triggered by MIDI messages) you can merge multiple voices like on a real organ not just have one at a time. You can change the pitch up and down and make octave couplers etc. jOrgan then sends this MIDI out to either a software synth or a hardware synth.

If you install Fluidsynth with jOrgan it looks like jOrgan makes sounds.  It is a MIDI link from jOrgan to Fluidsynth where the sound is actually made.  This is not limited by one MIDI connection of 16 MIDI channels, you can have more than one virtual connection each of 16 MIDI channels.

The other thing you will need to do is make your USB device to be recognised by your operating system as a MIDI device.

On 29 September 2014 14:57, Peter Hanlon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Rick

I will try to set up jOrgan using any of the common dispositions, and concentrate on getting some note on/off commands happening via the USB. I am not sure what complications I might find there, but it is a concrete step forward. As I now understand it, I simply set a channel for the manual appropriately, and generate the notes and velocity as I now do in OSX.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

On 29 September 2014 14:57, Peter Hanlon <<a href="x-msg://3/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4661593&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/Non-MIDI-Input-to-JOrgan-tp4661563p4661593.html
To start a new topic under jOrgan - User, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jOrgan, click here.
NAML

Re: Non-MIDI Input to JOrgan

greenfox
Hi Peter

In jOrgan you assign the input settings in the "Customize" function.

The input "Customize" function first needs to see a valid "MIDI Device" which you select from a drop down box.  This list is populated by your operating system showing what the computer recognises as "MIDI" devices.

Once you have selected the "Device" you then nominate the MIDI channel this "Division" (keyboard in jOrgan) will expect to see MIDI messages.

I can't offer any advice for a MAc system, but unless your MAC can identify your USB device as a MIDI device, you won't be able to take the first step in linking an input into jOrgan.

On 30 September 2014 12:41, Peter Hanlon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> one stream one USB anyway.
>
> In the Mac OSX application that I have successfully driving fluid synth, I
> have essentially allocated 32 synth channels, of which stops are permanently
> allocated one, and rotary switches share one per rotary. So program select
> linking the stop to a sound font preset happens when the application starts,
> and for a rotary switch member like a Honky Tonk piano when the switch
> setting changes. I can't use this methodology with 16 MIDI channels so just
> need to work out how it can be done.
>
> Thanks for your contribution to the entire Organ scene.
>
> Peter

> Regards
> Rick

> greenfox - Brisbane Queensland Australia

> http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/Non-MIDI-Input-to-JOrgan-tp4661563p4661593.html
> To start a new topic under jOrgan - User, email [hidden email]

12