No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

12

No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

Alfred Faust
Hi,
after I messed around for any days I've given up, and downgraded my
Computer to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
and ... surprice surprice ... ;-) jorgan could be installed wel and
works like a charm.
BTW.: Ubuntu 16.04 has java 1.8.0_171 onboard. I guess in Java 11 in
XUbuntu 18.04 is any changed,
which caused, that jorgan won't work.
Maybe the developers (Sven Meier) can do a rework.

Thanks for all efforts,
Alfred Faust

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

Alfred Faust wrote
> Maybe the developers (Sven Meier) can do a rework.

Alfred,

That is good news, that you are using jOrgan successfully, even if you have
found a solution yourself, without any help from us. It seems that a recent
version of Java is the reason that people with the most recent versions of
Mac are also finding it difficult to get jOrgan to work. It’s not just
happening with Xubuntu.

However, the solution to use “old” versions of Java is not one which Oracle
recommends, for the simple reason that old versions do not have updated
security patches. So you are quite right: jOrgan has to find the solution.
And it is unlikely to be Sven Meier who finds that solution, for he has
retired from this work, after many years of labour.

I am appealing for someone within the jOrgan community, someone who has the
necessary programming skills, to offer to examine the jOrgan program code,
and make the changes which will enable jOrgan, separately for Windows, Linux
and Mac, to work with updated versions of Java. It is obvious that the task
will be ongoing, as new versions of Java are released. Who will do this for
us?

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

John Reimer wrote
> It seems that a recent version of Java is the reason that people with the
> most recent versions of Mac are also finding it difficult to get jOrgan to
> work. It’s not just happening with Xubuntu.

I have begun to wonder whether this statement is giving the full story. I
have made a very tentative attempt to examine the jOrgan program code
(tentative, because my lack of knowledge should preclude me from even making
the attempt!).
What I did discover was a line which seems to mean that the jOrgan installer
is happy with Java (jre) SE Version minimum 7 - i.e. Version 8 is O.K.
Version 8 was released in 2014, and is the current Long Term Support
version). The next LTS version is 11, and is due to be released in September
2018. (Versions 9 and 10 do exist). Furthermore, unless my guess is wrong,
the next line of code means that the jOrgan installer places no limit on
later versions of Java.

Free stadium speakers available

jOrgan - User mailing list

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/zip/d/large-jbl-speaker-cabinets/6621685945.html

50 Free large (44x4x44) heavy loudspeaker cabinets
JBL model Pd743
removed from a large stadium
without speakers themselves
 in Perris, California

pk

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

eagles051387

If you like I can download the source code and take a look at this to try and confirm what you are saying. Where should I be looking?

Jonathan Aquilina

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:34 AM John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
John Reimer wrote
> It seems that a recent version of Java is the reason that people with the
> most recent versions of Mac are also finding it difficult to get jOrgan to
> work. It’s not just happening with Xubuntu.

I have begun to wonder whether this statement is giving the full story. I
have made a very tentative attempt to examine the jOrgan program code
(tentative, because my lack of knowledge should preclude me from even making
the attempt!).
What I did discover was a line which seems to mean that the jOrgan installer
is happy with Java (jre) SE Version minimum 7 - i.e. Version 8 is O.K.
Version 8 was released in 2014, and is the current Long Term Support
version). The next LTS version is 11, and is due to be released in September
2018. (Versions 9 and 10 do exist). Furthermore, unless my guess is wrong,
the next line of code means that the jOrgan installer places no limit on
later versions of Java.

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

jbeach2646
I have auto-updates for Java on my PC and, recently, (within the past two weeks) it did an update.  The current Java version running on Windows 10 64-bit is 8.0.1701.11.   With that, I am running
jOrgan Version 3.21-beta 1, without any problems.   As you know, on opening dispositions, jOrgan warns that a disposition was created with a specific version and opening it with a more recent
version will render it incompatible with previous versions, that is, once opened in the later version, it will not be able to be opened with prior versions.

John Beach

Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 1:26 AM
Subject: Re: [jOrgan-user] No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

Hi John,

Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 1:26 AM

Hi John,

If you like I can download the source code and take a look at this to try and confirm what you are saying. Where should I be looking?

Jonathan Aquilina

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:34 AM John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
John Reimer wrote
> It seems that a recent version of Java is the reason that people with the
> most recent versions of Mac are also finding it difficult to get jOrgan to
> work. It’s not just happening with Xubuntu.

I have begun to wonder whether this statement is giving the full story. I
have made a very tentative attempt to examine the jOrgan program code
(tentative, because my lack of knowledge should preclude me from even making
the attempt!).
What I did discover was a line which seems to mean that the jOrgan installer
is happy with Java (jre) SE Version minimum 7 - i.e. Version 8 is O.K.
Version 8 was released in 2014, and is the current Long Term Support
version). The next LTS version is 11, and is due to be released in September
2018. (Versions 9 and 10 do exist). Furthermore, unless my guess is wrong,
the next line of code means that the jOrgan installer places no limit on
later versions of Java.

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

eagles051387 wrote
> If you like I can download the source code and take a look at this

Jonathan,

I followed Sven's instructions on the Development page of the jOrgan Wiki. I
was using Ubuntu i.e. the Terminal, for the command lines.

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

eagles051387
Ok will take a look and test

Sent from my iPhone

> On 23 Jun 2018, at 09:50, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> eagles051387 wrote
>> If you like I can download the source code and take a look at this
>
> Jonathan,
>
> I followed Sven's instructions on the Development page of the jOrgan Wiki. I
> was using Ubuntu i.e. the Terminal, for the command lines.
>
> John Reimer
>

> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

eagles051387 wrote
> Ok will take a look and test

Hi all,

It seems from a report on the jOrgan Facebook site that this failure of
Xubuntu version 18 to run jOrgan is also happening with Ubuntu version 18
(as we probably should have expected). So yes, the problem certainly needs
to be rectified!

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

eagles051387 wrote
> As far as I know for the longest time the oracle java jre is not in the
> repositories there is just the open jre available.

Hi all,

I don't really understand what Jonathan is saying there, so I ask the
following question with some uncertainty:

It is the case that Oracle on the Java download page offers downloads of
Version 8 of jre in either 32 bit or 64 bit, FOR LINUX. Is there any reason
why users of Ubuntu cannot simply download it from there, instead of asking
Ubuntu to do it for them?

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

eagles051387 wrote
> As far as I know for the longest time the oracle java jre is not in the
> repositories there is just the open jre available.

Hi all,

With the help of some Google searches, I now have a better understanding of
what Jonathan is saying here. And I think that my question still stands.

For the record, I am still using Ubuntu 14 LTS. In response to the command
line “java -version”, I got the following return:
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.14) (7u181 - 2.6.14-0ubuntu0.1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.181-b01, mixed mode)

That answer may or may not tell me (!!) whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit, but
I know that my version of Ubuntu 14 is 32 bit.

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

eagles051387
If you are on a 32 bit version of the os you would run the 32 bit version of Java

Sent from my iPhone

> On 25 Jun 2018, at 03:59, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> eagles051387 wrote
>> As far as I know for the longest time the oracle java jre is not in the
>> repositories there is just the open jre available.
>
> Hi all,
>
> With the help of some Google searches, I now have a better understanding of
> what Jonathan is saying here. And I think that my question still stands.
>
> For the record, I am still using Ubuntu 14 LTS. In response to the command
> line “java -version”, I got the following return:
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.14) (7u181 - 2.6.14-0ubuntu0.1)
> OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.181-b01, mixed mode)
>
> That answer may or may not tell me (!!) whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit, but
> I know that my version of Ubuntu 14 is 32 bit.
>
> John Reimer
>

> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

eagles051387

I am not saying they cant, the user then needs to know how to install the package as things can get a bit complex and not as straightforward to install it.

The advantage of Ubuntu doing it for them its a matter of using either the command line to install the package or the package management software that is part of the os to install it for them.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 3:21 AM John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
eagles051387 wrote
> As far as I know for the longest time the oracle java jre is not in the
> repositories there is just the open jre available.

Hi all,

I don't really understand what Jonathan is saying there, so I ask the
following question with some uncertainty:

It is the case that Oracle on the Java download page offers downloads of
Version 8 of jre in either 32 bit or 64 bit, FOR LINUX. Is there any reason
why users of Ubuntu cannot simply download it from there, instead of asking
Ubuntu to do it for them?

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

i've pushed a change that makes jOrgan compatible with Java 9+:

     https://sourceforge.net/p/jorgan/code/2175/

Now someone will have to build the release packages.

Have fun
Sven

Am 24.06.2018 um 23:14 schrieb John Reimer:

> eagles051387 wrote
>> Ok will take a look and test
> Hi all,
>
> It seems from a report on the jOrgan Facebook site that this failure of
> Xubuntu version 18 to run jOrgan is also happening with Ubuntu version 18
> (as we probably should have expected). So yes, the problem certainly needs
> to be rectified!
>
> John Reimer
>

> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

Brian Sweetnam
Thank you Sven.

We appreciate it very much.

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

I have compiled an experimental build of Sven's latest changes for
JAVA 10 compatibility for Linux users:

Please download and install:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed0e1ecownb1zw0/jorgan_3.21beta2_amd64.deb?dl=0

I've spent the last day getting a build environment created (which was
flippin frustrating as the current jOrgan ANT build system does not
work with openjdk - so I've had to manually install and configure
Oracle JDK 7 on XUbuntu 14.04) and just built this and installed in on
XUbuntu 18.04. It opens jOrgan, but I have to leave for a family
function and won't get back to this until tonight or tomorrow, so
thought I'd quickly upload it for others to test :)

Let me know what happens

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

grahamg
I have done a little testing, and everything is working fine on my
XUbuntu 18.04 :)

So I have uploaded the beta2 DEB onto the sourceforge jOrgan site for
people to have full access to it there.

Please let me know if you find any issues!

Re: No startup of jorgan at XUbuntu 18.04

grahamg wrote
> I have done a little testing, and everything is working fine on my XUbuntu
> 18.04 :)

Graham,

I have just tried your .deb file on Ubuntu 18.04, which I am running on my
laptop from a USB stick on which I “installed” this latest version of
Ubuntu. I should add that I have previously installed Java 10 on it. Your
version of jOrgan 3.21 is working perfectly, at least according to my short
test, from which I have just turned in order to send this post.
Congratulations on your success!

It seems that you have made a very adequate response to Alfred’s post which
began this thread, in taking up Sven’s “patch” (or whatever it should be
called) within your build. When you get the time, could you please send the
group a post explaining just why these changes were necessary, and in broad
outline only, what the changes were. My very uninformed contribution to this
process was to suggest that the sticking point for jOrgan was the recent
versions of Java with which we were attempting to use it. Was this the case?
And is your remedy future-proof, given that Oracle plans to release Version
11 later this year, and presumably at times in the future, even later
versions? I have to admit that although I am delighted at what you have
achieved, I remain quite puzzled about the whole business.

12