New Soundcard - VST Problem

Chris P
Hi, All
I recently fitted a new soundcard, an ASUS Zonar D1, to replace my onboard sub-standard Realtek sound. I now have a problem, which happens with all my dispos and three different reverb VSTs. Using JackPortAudio-ASIO-Reverberate, if the wet and or dry settings are set as for a cathedral reverb, e.g. I use a Caen IR for one of my dispos, then I am getting a twanging/stuttering sound every few seconds. This doesnt appear to be relative to the number of ranks used in relation to the rate at which it occurs, although its volume increases with ranks. With a very short reverb setting it's inaudible to my ears, or its not occuring, but as the wetness and/or dryness is increased then I get more stuttering. I have killed everything, I think, in the soundcards mixer except Wave output. I don't get any problems with the cards own environment settings, which I don't find particularly suitable!

I have attached a pic of the dialogue box which when I start JackPortaudio now has two extra lines at the bottom to what I used to have with the onboard sound. Is this correct?

Also, is it possible to integrate the IR into the soundcards environment settings somehow?

Regards
Chris P
P.S. Sven, would it be possible to attach small sound files to demonstrate what mailers are trying to verbally describe?

JackPortaudio Dialogue box
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: New Soundcard - VST Problem

grahamg
Hi Chris,

What is the command that you use to start the Jack Audio Connection Server (or are you just using the default JackPortAudio)? I know that the ASUS Xonar series has ASIO v2 drivers, but a good friend who has one of their higher-end varieties actually found the ASIO4ALL v10 driver to be superior regarding latency (!).

As far as I know it won't be possible to integrate the IRs into the soundcard's environment settings, but I don't know enough to really say...

Kind regards,

Re: New Soundcard - VST Problem

Chris P
Hi, Graham
I am using the default JackPortAudio.
Yes, the card came with the option to install ASIO v2.1 but I didn't install it as I already have v2.11 beta 1  installed.
I will give v2.10 a try.

Regards
Chris P
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: New Soundcard - VST Problem

grahamg
Hi Chris,

Two different things:

1)Asus Xonar with ASIO v2 Driver (true ASIO driver) [This is a
specific driver for the ASUS card]
vs
2)ASIO4ALL v2.10 (or higher) [which uses WDM-KS or WaveRT to emulate ASIO]

If you have not specified a particular driver in the JackPortAudio
shortcut then you will be using the system DirectSound...!

See https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Instructions_on_using_the_Jack_Audio_Connection_Kit_in_Windows

Which speaks about Jack 1.9.7, but the same applies for 1.9.8. Create
the list of devices and then configure your JackPortAudio to use a
specific device. ASIO4ALL would be a specific device as well.

If you have any more questions on this just let us know :)

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 3/1/12, Chris P [via jOrgan]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Graham
> I am using the default JackPortAudio.
> Yes, the card came with the option to install ASIO v2.1 but I didn't install
> it as I already have v2.11 beta 1  installed.
> I will give v2.10 a try.
>
> Regards
> Chris P
>
> -----
> Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: New Soundcard - VST Problem

Chris P
Hi, Graham
I had this set up working properly with the onboard sound, all I have done is disable it and fitted a PCI soundcard.
I have just played about with the settings for about 3 hours. Must have got a wrong one somewhere, it's now working correctly.
Thanks
Chris P
Location: West Yorkshire, UK