New JOrgan install has no Save As function

New JOrgan install has no Save As function

damuehlbauer
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: New JOrgan install has no Save As function

damuehlbauer wrote
> I am brand new to JOrgan (or is it J-Organ?).

Hi,

Welcome to jOrgan, and to our Forum. My reply is rather immediate - I came
upon your post only 10 minutes after you sent it! The correct name is
jOrgan. Note the lower case "j", which is there to indicate that the program
depends on Java also being installed on your computer. And just as
important, the version of Java should be fairly recent, and if you
downloaded the 64-bit version of jOrgan, the Java should also be 64-bit (and
if jOrgan is 32-bit, then again, Java should correspond).

I think it is normal to have "Save" greyed out, until you have actually
opened a disposition and have made some changes to it (such as selecting a
stop or playing a note). There is no "Save As" function in jOrgan. Users
have asked for such a function, but Sven Meier, the creator of jOrgan (and
has now retired from doing further work on it) opposed it, and I am sure
that he had technical reasons for doing so. However, there is a very easy
work-around. If you have a disposition and you believe you will want to make
some permanent changes to it, you should COPY it somewhere (such as the
Desktop), RENAME it, and them MOVE it back to its folder. If you then open
it in jOrgan, and make some changes, you will be free to SAVE it, with the
new name.

So far, there is no reason to think there is something wrong with your
installation. But I don't like that error message.
"New" means that you want to create a new disposition, which would be highly
unusual for someone using jOrgan for the very first time. Can you please
click on "Open", and tell us what you now see?

You will not be able to do anything with jOrgan, until you have actually
opened an organ. When you click on "Open", you should see a folder which
contains the file, "example.disposition". You can double-click on that, and
you should then see a very basic "organ" which will be very disappointing as
regards its appearance and its sound. Its main purpose is to let you know
whether jOrgan is working, but you should draw no other conclusions.

My post is perhaps already long enough. Please try to do what I have
suggested, and then report back.

Re: New JOrgan install has no Save As function

John Reimer wrote
> When you click on "Open", you should see a folder which
> contains the file, "example.disposition".

.
Hi,

I just tried this out, and realised that my instructions can be improved.
After clicking on "Open", you should see a list of folders. Open the
"dispositions" folder. THEN you will see a list of files. I suggest you may
do better if you double-click on "fluidsynth-example.disposition". I had
trouble with the "example.disposition", and it took me a while to get some
sounds.

You should see two stops. you can select one by clicking on the little
square. Then try to play some notes by clicking (and holding) on the
keyboard. I got sounds straight away, but they were very soft.

Please try this, and tell us what happens. If all goes well, we can then
tell how how to get REAL organs playing!

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: New JOrgan install has no Save As function

jOrgan - User mailing list
What model Conn do you have?
These are great instruments.
I have several models (including two 720s I may have to dump).

I removed speakers from a Conn console, mounting them in separate speaker cabs (including Leslie) and mounted them above choir loft and up in the balcony of a church that was awesome.

Actually I gutted a non-working 650, using the console to create a touring 216 MidiTzer (documented at <stentorvox (dot) com>.

Have you considered:
(1) re-wire keyboards as MIDI (eliminate electronics)
(2) sacrifice one of the stoptabs into MIDI
   (rewire each key into a MIDI trigger,
   but still use its awesome analog sounds)

jOrgan software enables incredible potential to create your own inventive design in such a console.

pk

Tuesday, February 6, 2018, 7:50 AM PST, damuehlbauer wrote
<snip>
Lots more to learn, but I just wanted to explore this since I have seen jOrgan mentioned many times. I still have an analog (Conn) organ and realize that someday when I can no longer repair this I am probably going to have to switch it over to MIDI. At this point,
just exploring options.