NEW VPO - Principia College, Elsah, Illinois.

NEW VPO - Principia College, Elsah, Illinois.

Chris P
Hi, All

I have uploaded this VPO which is not quite fully working in so much as the
stop and piston sounds don't function, could be other problems as well which
I haven't noticed. Not sure where I have gone wrong.
The ranks are NOT from the actual organ but are from a number of freeware
and shareware soundfonts all of which I have re-processed.
It can be downloaded from
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/n180pssa1a012/Principia_College.

Notes:

There are three versions of the disposition file. Two are for 16 x 9
screens, one is for jOrgan Reverb and t'other is for convolution reverb.
The third version is for 4 x 3 screens and only convolution reverb.

The skin is available as a zipped or unzipped file. The last VPO I
published, (St Pauls) there seemed to be some differences as to which would
load!

The soundfont is also available as a compressed file (sfArk) and
uncompressed. You only need one. Please refer to the thread on this forum
for the St Paul's VPO for opening the zipped file, if you have problems.

I have included the flac and fxb files for Reverberate.
Have fun.

P.S.
I accept no resposibility for the damage it may cause to you in setting this
up on your PC or your PC.

Regards
Chris P

P.P.S.
Please write to the usual address if you have any concerns.

And a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

-----
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: NEW VPO - Principia College, Elsah, Illinois.

Chris P wrote
> And a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

ChrisP,

Thank you very much, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

I tried to begin downloading your new VPO, and as far as I could see, I was
unable to select files and do a single download of them unless I “upgraded”
to a Pro account of MediaFire, which I was not willing to do.  At the very
least, you should do a new upload where you have grouped all the “small”
files into a single zip file to enable a single download of that, and left
the large soundfont files as separate, so that we can decide which one we
want, and download that on its own.

However, I did download the disposition of my choice, plus the zipped skin
file, and the soundfont. The first thing I noticed was that you have
released it as a jOrgan version 3.18 disposition. Not a big deal, I suppose,
but I would have expected at least a version 3.20.

I have two comments about the appearance. I had to reduce the zoom on the
Main Console to 0.6 before it would fit comfortably on my laptop screen. I
wonder whether a disposition should be released with this still needing to
be done. Perhaps other users’ computers do not require this.

As far as I can see, you have not actually told us the source(s) of the
soundfont presets you have used. I am not enthusiastic about using a VPO
where this information has not been divulged, for a number of reasons. Can
you give us this information? I might add that over 400 MB is a very large
soundfont by jOrgan standards, and I for one would like to know just what we
are getting, and what sort of quality, before committing to a VPO of this
size. At that size, one would assume they were all recorded samples (dry,
wet, length of recordings, and how many per octave???), but I did have the
feeling that one or two may have been synthesized.

Some very nice sounds there. I thought the principals, reeds and principal
choruses were the most successful, and the flutes less so.

Two bugs I noticed:
1) I changed the Fluidsynth Reverb settings to the only ones I can tolerate,
but it still didn't sound right. I investigated, and found that you need to
get the PARAMETER settings correct - they are all marked as “ROOM” (from
memory).
2) The Choir Cor de Nuit 8 and Principal 8 are both activated whenever ANY
Great stop is turned on, and also whenever the General Cancel piston is
used. (The latter problem should be easy to correct, but I couldn’t see any
reason for the former, when I examined the references).

Two further things:  With a number of jOrgan VPO’s. it is possible to access
minor consoles (such as your “Effects, Tuning & Volume”) when in the Full
Screen mode. This is a very convenient feature for the user. Also, in the
disposition the departments have English names (Great, Swell etc.), but in
the Console screen view, they have French names. This is confusing for the
user.

Thank you for all the work so far.

Re: NEW VPO - Principia College, Elsah, Illinois.

Dr Mark Bugeja MD

I agree with you on needing to adjust the console size as it was too large
for my laptop screen.

I cannot replicate your issue about

The Choir Cor de Nuit 8 and Principal 8 are both activated whenever ANY
Great stop is turned on, and also whenever the General Cancel piston is
used.

I adjusted the reverb parameters since, as you say, they were all set to
"ROOM".

Some other issues:

The sample midi files do not play correctly with stops turning off as the
music proceeds.

The label on the Stop Sounds stop wraps into 2 lines when activated.

I had mentioned in an earlier reply (which did not get posted!!!) that the
compressed skin needs to be done correctly as it has a folder with all the
elements within it, something which jOrgan does not allow.

Regards,
Mark

(My posts are not showing when replying via email).

Re: NEW VPO - Principia College, Elsah, Illinois.

Dr Mark Bugeja MD wrote
/
> The Choir Cor de Nuit 8 and Principal 8 are both activated whenever ANY
> Great stop is turned on, and also whenever the General Cancel piston is
> used.
/
Mark,

Which disposition are you using? I am using the Fluidsynth Reverb one. I
found that those two choir stops are actually also activated by numerous
other stops (all?) throughout the VPO. I did go looking for possible
reference errors, and didn’t manage to see what could be causing it. I think
the Choir Montre had more than its fair share of references, but the other
offending 8' stop (Cor de Nuit) did not, and I haven’t had time to examine
that further.

I don’t want to open a can of worms here, but earlier in the year when I was
doing that work on editing jOrgan recorder MIDI files, I grew to be
suspicious of the jOrgan Import (of Elements) feature. There was something
happening which I could not account for at all, and in the end I abandoned
using Import and had to be content with using Paul Stratman’s big
multi-manual disposition and deleting huge chunks of it, which were not
needed for my application. I think I should ask if anyone else has had
similar problems with Import of Elements.

Re: NEW VPO - Principia College, Elsah, Illinois.

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
FS reverb

Re: NEW VPO - Principia College, Elsah, Illinois.

John Reimer wrote
> I found that those two choir stops are actually also activated by numerous
> other stops (all?) throughout the VPO.

With a new download of the disposition, that fault has disappeared. Those
two stops are no longer being activated when they shouldn't be.