Multiple Monitors

Bill Skees
We've probably discussed this before but I can't find it in my notes. How do you divide a jOrgan disposition over two (touchscreen) monitors?

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Multiple Monitors

jOrgan - User mailing list
Glad you asked.

I wish to create two halfs (halves?) of a single image of a four manual stack with 32 pedals, placing one touchscreen left and the other one right of the keyboards.

hope there is an answer forthcoming.

pk
StentorVox.com

On Monday, July 31, 2017, 1:19:36 PM PDT, Bill Skeeswrote:

<snip>
... How do you divide a jOrgan disposition over two (touchscreen) monitors?
<snip>

Re: Multiple Monitors

Sesquialtra
Hello Guys

Splitting your organ over two screens is easy if you know how!! Explaining it could be more tricky !

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Paul Kealy via jOrgan-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
Glad you asked.

I wish to create two halfs (halves?) of a single image of a four manual stack with 32 pedals, placing one touchscreen left and the other one right of the keyboards.

hope there is an answer forthcoming.

pk
StentorVox.com

On Monday, July 31, 2017, 1:19:36 PM PDT, Bill Skeeswrote:

<snip>
... How do you divide a jOrgan disposition over two (touchscreen) monitors?
<snip>

Re: Multiple Monitors

Sesquialtra
Not likely,

If you're computer has internet where Jorgan is housed? I mite be able to do it for you going though Teamviewer and just getting you started off..

Don't no if that will help. Its tricky to explain unless someone shows you HOW !

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 12:33 AM, Thomas Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

BrianS
This is really easy to do. In order to modify an existing disposition to be split on two touch screens, you will need a console element for each screen.

1. You can simply click on the existing console element.
2. Press <ctrl> D. You will now have 2 identical console elements.
3. In the properties of the duplicated console element, select the second display.
4. Now, on each console element, select the elements that you wish not to have on that screen, and simply delete the reference to them.
5. Re-arrange the remaining elements to your requirements.
6. You will now have completed the procedure of splitting your disposition over two touch screens.

Another method:

1. Createpe a new console element and select the appropriate skin file and output for it
2. Holding down the <ctrl> net, select all elements on your first existing console.
3. Right click and select "send to" and then click the new console.
4. These elements will now disappear from your screen, and will be on the new disposition

On 1 Aug 2017 06:41, "Graham Goode" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bill,

Each Console element has a Screen property. Set that screen property to a different monitor (you'll find both available in the drop down), and you've set up your multiple monitor scenario.
GG

On Jul 31, 2017 at 10:01 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've probably discussed this before but I can't find it in my notes. How do
you divide a jOrgan disposition over two (touchscreen) monitors?

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Multiple Monitors

In Construct mode you need to add a second "Console" Element to the disposition, then you can drag and drop or cut and paste visual elements from one screen to the other. You can then change the size of each visual element to take advantage of your new realisation.

You will need to be aware that your modified disposition is now unique to you. If the disposition is one shared on the Web, and if the developer shares an update, you will either need to apply any modifications to your unique disposition, or go through creating the two screen layout all over again.

If we had development moving forward, I would like to see the visual layout (and for that matter, the MIDI console input separated from the core of the disposition so users could exercise greater customisation without altering the core disposition and could therefore not be isolated from disposition refinement.

On 1 Aug. 2017 9:29 am, "Aaron" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Guys

Splitting your organ over two screens is easy if you know how!! Explaining it could be more tricky !

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Paul Kealy via jOrgan-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
Glad you asked.

I wish to create two halfs (halves?) of a single image of a four manual stack with 32 pedals, placing one touchscreen left and the other one right of the keyboards.

hope there is an answer forthcoming.

pk
StentorVox.com

On Monday, July 31, 2017, 1:19:36 PM PDT, Bill Skeeswrote:

<snip>
... How do you divide a jOrgan disposition over two (touchscreen) monitors?
<snip>

Re: Multiple Monitors and Customization

jbeach2646
Rick said, "In Construct mode you need to add a second "Console" Element to the disposition, then you can drag and drop or cut and paste visual elements from one screen to the other. "

In Construct mode, simply "highlight" and  "right click" on any element or group of elements you wish to have on another console and you will have the option, "Send to...." any of the other alternate Consoles which you have created in the disposition.  You can, then, choose to alter the size of the element.

While I agree with Rick that the Customizer element, MIDI inputs and audio outputs, which are system-relative and should be "Save"-able in jOrgan, as part of the basic "shell," without a disposition being opened, it is, in fact, the disposition itself, which determines,in particular, what, or which, and how the outputs must be configured.  I think we discussed this whole subject
a while ago and came to the conclusion that it is really not practicable, given variables within dispositions, to solve this problem any other way.  I suggested, at that time, that a kind of "modular" construction of the permanent, system-relative elements of jOrgan should be a part of Jonathan's reworking of jOrgan programming.  As we know, this will not be attempted until
someone with programming experience and the desire to make the changes can, actually, do so.  In creating one's own dispositions, it is the specific order in which elements MUST be
created, ---in order to---, which prevents the saving of MIDI input and Audio output (individual system-relative) "modules," independent of a Console and Keyboard elements.  These must be
present before any MIDI inputs are visible in the Customizer and they exist relative to the number of keyboards or manuals and pedal, which, as we know, vary from disposition to disposition.  Seemingly a Customizer module could have a fixed number of usable keyboard elements, for example, 8, which would be sufficient for the largest dispositions which exist, and
would assign MIDI Channels in numerical order, with the exception that the pedalboard should be a fixed MIDI Channel(3)in all dispositions.  We have discussed the issue of standardization on numerous occasions and, despite its desirability for purposes of interchange of dispositions and exchange of MIDI files, are, generally agreed that it is too constraining and places too
many restrictions on individual freedom or creativity.   Audio outputs are dependent on the specific sound source, Fluidsynth, Creative or Generic which is used and the number of soundfonts
and there bank numbers and, so, are not "Save" -able within the shell of the jOrgan program.

John Beach

[...]

and their bank numbers and, so, are not "Save" -able within the shell of the jOrgan program.

John Beach

Re: Multiple Monitors

Bill Skees
Graham G., Brian, Rick and John B., In Construct mode I duplicated the console element (it's cmd-D on the Mac) and gave it a different name. I can see both console elements with their properties. However, when I exit Construct mode there's still only one window. I can drag it from one console to the other, but there's no second window to be dragged to a second console. How do I get at that second window?

By the way, when I change the screen property in one element from \Display0 to \Display1 the other element is automatically changed to \Display1 also.

Re: Multiple Monitors

Bill Skees
Correction: when I wrote "I can drag it from one console to the other, but there's no second window to be dragged to a second console" I meant "I can drag it from one monitor to the other, but there's no second window to be dragged to a second monitor."

Re: Multiple Monitors

jOrgan - User mailing list
Here it is sans upload - After 5 tries I give up!:

I use these USB adapters successfully on my Win 7 organs with two touchscreens (I could even use more). Have not tried them on my XP or Win 10 computers, but they work well on Win 7.

I have tried several times in several formats to shrink this attachment small file enough to attach, but it bounces back continually, so I keep shrinking it smaller size and re-issue it here hoping it might go thru. Now it is down to 57.6 and still bounced back again. Maybe I should take a  hint. (wink)

Just plug several if these into computer USB ports even if you do not have a multiple monitor cable sockets. They work well for my other graphix

Just as I was deciding to invigorate restored interest in organ and migrate to jOrgan it shut down.

Currently I use Wurli 260 and 216 software on two consoles, but if I return to my organ project, I have console waiting to create unique 4-manual organ using these monitors split into two separate sections. Just curious if jOrgan enables a split design for my touchscreens, or if the screens merely duplicate themselves.

pk
StentorVox.com

Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Paul Kealy wrote:
Glad you asked. I wish to create two halves of a single image.
On Monday, July 31, 2017, 1:19:36 PM PDT, Bill Skeeswrote:

... How do you divide a jOrgan disposition over two (touchscreen) monitors?

Re: Multiple Monitors

jOrgan - User mailing list wrote
Just as I was deciding to invigorate restored interest in organ and migrate to jOrgan it shut down.
Paul,

Not sure what you are referring to in this statement, as jOrgan is certainly not shutting down.

As a group, we acknowledge our obligation to operate this Forum under rules which we did not lay down. A ban on long attachments is one of them. As an administrator I let your last one through, and I am surprised that I have not been reprimanded for doing so. As I said in my email to you to which you have not yet responded, I am not prepared to repeat the exercise. If your document is of sufficient importance, please place it in Dropbox or suchlike and tell us the link. Or if need be, I am prepared to host it for a period of time using my Dropbox account.

Re: Multiple Monitors

jOrgan - User mailing list
Sorry I did not respond to your personal message. Didn't realize it was there. I was up all nite re-doing the photo to fall under the allowable limit, so have been minimal on list today. I got the generic administrator bounceback messages each time, but your name was not attached.

I tried different formats, from word to pdf to gif to tif to shrink it, changing size and resolution but somehow they didn't qualify at your end, even when they fell under the limit here at mine. I got it down to 3x4 inches, and reduced the resolution until it was too fuzzy to read. The last time it was under limit, but still bounced, so I posted the title of it so anybody interested can seek it on the Internet. It was a miracle for me, and I thought others might benefit from knowing they can add multiple monitors even without multiple output sockets.

Ain't No beeeg deal.

You are doing an incredible job as administrator, and I would not throw cold water on any of your efforts.

I have created a dozen chatlists and Websites and manage many on a regular basis, so I realize what you face.

I was out of the organ world for several years, and returned just as jOrgan seemed to be shutting down, so it is reassuring to hear this incredibly good news.

You are significant.
Keep up the goodf work.
If I continue with organ I definitely will use the jOrgan engine.

pk
StentorVox.com

Re: Multiple Monitors

Bill, when I duplicate a console element using the "<ctrl> + d" keys, it makes an exact copy of it.  I am doing this in Windows.

I can then go to the properties, and edit the 'screen' property of the duplicated element, it only changes that conole 'screen' property, and not the original one where it was duplicated from.

I use a disposition that currently has 12 consoles, and if I had 12 screens I am sure I could have a different console on each screen, bu just editing the 'screen' property value.

I have not recently tried running jOrgan on my iMac.

Re: Multiple Monitors

Hi Bill,

> By the way, when I change the screen property in one element from \Display0
> to \Display1 the other element is automatically changed to \Display1 also.

This is not correct behaviour, and may indicate a bug in JAVA or
jOrgan for OS-X. You should be able to configure the first Console
element to \Display0 and the second Console element to \Display1. I'm
on Linux and Windows, so can't help with troubleshooting OS-X.

Perhaps you could upload your disposition so that we could take a look anyway?

GG

[...]

Keep up the good work.
If I continue with organ I definitely will use the jOrgan engine.

pk
StentorVox.com

Re: Multiple Monitors

Bill Skees
Hi Graham G., Other than sort of maintaining Kent Allman's Symphonic IV I've never developed a disposition of my own. The one I'm trying to use two monitors with is Christie (Rick's I think). Its filename is christie_fs_3mp_319_02.disposition, from my 2014 files before we moved to a small apartment and rebuilt this MIDI-fied Rodgers organ.