Multi-computer systems

RoyR
Hi, Kent,

             I noticed on theatre-sf your remark about running jOrgan alone on one computer, and sfz on several others. I was going to reply there, but then thought perhaps the technical details might be more appropriate over here.

    How do you bolt such a system together?

Re: Multi-computer systems

kallman
Hello Roy,

       There are a couple of ways that it can be done.  I've tried Ethernet Midi which links the computers together by an Ethernet connection through a small 4 port switch.  I've found that it wasn't 100% reliable at 100 bps though.  Occasionally it would drop a packet or take too long for a packet to get read and it would hang a note on at one of the soft synths.  It might work better with the new 1 GHz Ethernets though.  The most bullet proof method I've found is to link the computers together via midi.  Using Midi Ox/Yoke, send each sound source output to Nt1, Nt2 , etc., then set the midi Yoke to patch those outputs to 2 available external outputs on your Midi Merger box. I use either a Motu 5x5 or 2 edirol 3x3's chained together.  From their run a midi patch cable or a midi to USB cable over to each of the other computers, Next use midi yoke on each computer to patch the input to an available output which the SFZ can then see and your're set to go.

Good luck with your setup.
Best regards,
Kent

Allman Music / Speaker Domain