Metronome and Rhythm section

Brian Sweetnam
I know some of you will probably not like this, and I get that. Some people
see jOrgan, GO, and HW as mere pipe organ simulators.  Over time however, it
has been shown that they can indeed also emulate electronic organs, like
Paul's B3.  So going just one step further would not be a sin?

A built-in rhythm section with metronome, will come in quite handy for some
of us.  Will it not be possible to closely emulate old electronic home
organs, using the midi player to play different midi files, and each midi
file can be a different rhythm? If this is possible, it would surely be
quite possible to emulate old home organs very closely.  I grew up playing
only Yamaha organs, at first without Rhythm sections.  Then my dad bought me
a "Mini Pops"rhythm box that screwed onto the organ just below the lower
manual, to the left.  Then I got an organ with built-in rhythm section.  I
still have that organ today, and if still works reasonably well.  It was
bought for me in 1981 by my late father. It only has 16 generic rhythms to
choose from: Waltz 1, Waltz 2, Bossanova 1, Bossanova 2, Samba, Mambo,
Rhumba, 16 Beat, Disco, March, Tango, Ballad, Jazz Rock, Swing, Latin Rock.
Slow Rock.  With Tempo and volume control.  It can be as simple or as
complex as anybody wants it to be.  For me, it can be simple.  Perhaps I
would like to have Synch Start, but nothing more.

Will anybody else like to see something like this?

Re: Metronome and Rhythm section

Brian Sweetnam
So it should not be to difficult to do this.  However, what might be a
challenge, would be to create "rhythm buttons'' on screen, so that when you
press that button, it instantly loads the correct midi file.  For example,
when you create 20 buttons, and assign a generic rhythm to each button.
There does not need to be any chord recognition, or intro, ending,
variation, etc.  It can only be the generic rhythm that plays until you stop
it.  Having a synchro-start will be nice too - the rhythm can start playing
as soon as you play the first note/notes on the Accomp manual.

I am using professional accompaniment software, called vArranger2.  It is
implemented to be playable on a single keyboard, accordion, or a 2 manual
organ with pedal-board, even 3 manuals, as I use it.  One can add all your
own sound-fonts or hardware sound modules to it.  But it is more like an
arranger keyboard on steroids.  It is quite spectacular.  But it is far more
than what I really need.  Although I have added a lot of theater organ
presets, it is more focused on GM sound-set, and is not really all that easy
to be playable as a traditional organ, in the sense that you cannot really
have stops that you can switch on and off.

Re: Metronome and Rhythm section

Brian Sweetnam
I was expecting a bit more interest in this topic.  I cannot believe that
there are no lovers of old electronic organs here......

Re: Metronome and Rhythm section

RoyR
Hi, Brian,

               How about a home made MIDI console driving two Edirol SD-20 synths via a jOrgan disposition bearing little resemblance to any commercial organ, living or dead?     *:)) laughing

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 08:03, Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was expecting a bit more interest in this topic.  I cannot believe that
there are no lovers of old electronic organs here......

Re: Metronome and Rhythm section

I stick to Bach, Zippoli, Handel, Buxtehude, etc. I'm having trouble envisioning how a rhythm section would fit into music like this...it could be done... ;-)

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:03 AM Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was expecting a bit more interest in this topic.  I cannot believe that
there are no lovers of old electronic organs here......

Re: Metronome and Rhythm section

Brian Sweetnam
 It's not for music like that.  It's for other types of music, the music you
would typically play on an electronic home organ in the 50, 60, 70 and so
on.

Brian

Re: Metronome and Rhythm section

Brian Sweetnam
I already play various arranger keyboards, that have - rhythm sections.  I'm
happy with them.

vArranger is some professional software that I use, and it turns any
standard midi controller keyboard into a fantastic arranger keyboard as
well.  In fact, it turns my VPO into an 'arranger organ'.

The thing is, selecting different 'stops'on this software is limited to 5
'stops' for the right hand.  It does chord recognition etc and you get a
'band' that plays along with you.

However, I would like to have a more old fashioned 'electronic home organ'
style, where I can mix and match stops as I please, with a primitive
accompaniment system.

I don't require chord recognition, nor do I require a 'play-along' band.