MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

About a year ago I sent a quite anguished post describing how I had bought an HP netbook with Windows 8.1 for use with my organ console. Its small size and touch screen were features which attracted me. Unfortunately it would not read the MIDI messages from my encoder, and so I had a dual-boot installed with Ubuntu Linux. With Linux it has worked wonderfully, with the bonus of having the excellent zita-rev reverberation program available. However, I have had to do without the touch screen, which is a pity.

My post was concerned more broadly with the problem of using a MIDI/USB interface with Windows 8.1, for I was aware that musicians the world over were screaming about losing their MIDI controller functionality after they “upgraded” to Windows 8.1.  Microsoft had become aware of the problem in January 2014, but by August had still not offered a solution, except to recommend some register modifications which appeared to help some people but certainly not all. The point I made in my post was that using computers for music applications was looking somewhat problematic unless people are prepared to switch to Linux or to Apple.

I was surprised that my post triggered no replies that I recall, although I did realise that some jOrgan users were having no problems with Windows 8.1 and their MIDI messages.

Recently I revisited the problem, and did a Google to find any MIDI/USB interfaces that may have been made more recently than the two I had in my possession. I found one made by a company called “iConnectivity”. It is called the “mio 1 in 1 out USB to MIDI”, and it works normally with my netbook and Windows 8.1! It costs about $US 65. I am looking forward to using Windows 8.1 with my jOrgan dispositions and having the use of the touch screen to control the stops.

I have posted this just in case some jOrgan users have had problems similar to mine. The “mio” may be the solution for you also.

As a footnote, let me add that the newly-found Windows operation of my netbook yielded some disturbing and unacceptable alterations to the sound. It appears that this computer has “Beats Audio” installed, which I discovered is some kind of dynamic loudness control to make it sound better if you are playing at a lower-than-normal sound level. It is certainly not what I want. Fortunately I found that it is possible to disable it (Press Fn plus “B”). It is also possible to uninstall it altogether, which I think is preferable.

Re: MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

greenfox

Hi John

It is always good to read your well considered and researched posts.

I was a fairly early adopter of Windows 8, then 8.1.  I had to find and download the latest drivers for my old Edrol UM-1 MIDI USB interface. It worked for a single device, but multiple identical devices were all named the same so were effectively invisible to jOrgan. Seven was able to fix this and is now in the latest jOrgan release.

I have also needed to disable so called audio enhancement on my most recent Toshiba touch pad laptop.

On Sat, 9 May 2015 3:24 PM John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

About a year ago I sent a quite anguished post describing how I had bought
an HP netbook with Windows 8.1 for use with my organ console. Its small size
and touch screen were features which attracted me. Unfortunately it would
not read the MIDI messages from my encoder, and so I had a dual-boot
installed with Ubuntu Linux. With Linux it has worked wonderfully, with the
bonus of having the excellent zita-rev reverberation program available.
However, I have had to do without the touch screen, which is a pity.

My post was concerned more broadly with the problem of using a MIDI/USB
interface with Windows 8.1, for I was aware that musicians the world over
were screaming about losing their MIDI controller functionality after they
“upgraded” to Windows 8.1.  Microsoft had become aware of the problem in
January 2014, but by August had still not offered a solution, except to
recommend some register modifications which appeared to help some people but
certainly not all. The point I made in my post was that using computers for
music applications was looking somewhat problematic unless people are
prepared to switch to Linux or to Apple.

I was surprised that my post triggered no replies that I recall, although I
did realise that some jOrgan users were having no problems with Windows 8.1
and their MIDI messages.

Recently I revisited the problem, and did a Google to find any MIDI/USB
interfaces that may have been made more recently than the two I had in my
possession. I found one made by a company called “iConnectivity”. It is
called the “mio 1 in 1 out USB to MIDI”, and it works normally with my
netbook and Windows 8.1! It costs about $US 65. I am looking forward to
using Windows 8.1 with my jOrgan dispositions and having the use of the
touch screen to control the stops.

I have posted this just in case some jOrgan users have had problems similar
to mine. The “mio” may be the solution for you also.

As a footnote, let me add that the newly-found Windows operation of my
netbook yielded some disturbing and unacceptable alterations to the sound.
It appears that this computer has “Beats Audio” installed, which I
discovered is some kind of dynamic loudness control to make it sound better
if you are playing at a lower-than-normal sound level. It is certainly not
what I want. Fortunately I found that it is possible to disable it (Press Fn
plus “B”). It is also possible to uninstall it altogether, which I think is
preferable.

Re: MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

 >I have posted this just in case some jOrgan users have had problems
 >similar to mine.

the more information the better. Many thanks for your post.

Have fun
Sven

On 09.05.2015 07:07, John Reimer wrote:

> About a year ago I sent a quite anguished post describing how I had bought
> an HP netbook with Windows 8.1 for use with my organ console. Its small size
> and touch screen were features which attracted me. Unfortunately it would
> not read the MIDI messages from my encoder, and so I had a dual-boot
> installed with Ubuntu Linux. With Linux it has worked wonderfully, with the
> bonus of having the excellent zita-rev reverberation program available.
> However, I have had to do without the touch screen, which is a pity.
>
> My post was concerned more broadly with the problem of using a MIDI/USB
> interface with Windows 8.1, for I was aware that musicians the world over
> were screaming about losing their MIDI controller functionality after they
> “upgraded” to Windows 8.1.  Microsoft had become aware of the problem in
> January 2014, but by August had still not offered a solution, except to
> recommend some register modifications which appeared to help some people but
> certainly not all. The point I made in my post was that using computers for
> music applications was looking somewhat problematic unless people are
> prepared to switch to Linux or to Apple.
>
> I was surprised that my post triggered no replies that I recall, although I
> did realise that some jOrgan users were having no problems with Windows 8.1
> and their MIDI messages.
>
> Recently I revisited the problem, and did a Google to find any MIDI/USB
> interfaces that may have been made more recently than the two I had in my
> possession. I found one made by a company called “iConnectivity”. It is
> called the “mio 1 in 1 out USB to MIDI”, and it works normally with my
> netbook and Windows 8.1! It costs about $US 65. I am looking forward to
> using Windows 8.1 with my jOrgan dispositions and having the use of the
> touch screen to control the stops.
>
> I have posted this just in case some jOrgan users have had problems similar
> to mine. The “mio” may be the solution for you also.
>
> As a footnote, let me add that the newly-found Windows operation of my
> netbook yielded some disturbing and unacceptable alterations to the sound.
> It appears that this computer has “Beats Audio” installed, which I
> discovered is some kind of dynamic loudness control to make it sound better
> if you are playing at a lower-than-normal sound level. It is certainly not
> what I want. Fortunately I found that it is possible to disable it (Press Fn
> plus “B”). It is also possible to uninstall it altogether, which I think is
> preferable.
>
> John Reimer

Re: MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

jbeach2646
I have used Windows 8/8.1 for almost two years with a Yamaha UX-16 USB-Midi
Cable and the Artisan Instruments (Organ) MicroMidi Unit.  The transition
was flawless and I experience no problems in 8.1.  I do not have
touchscreen-monitor capability
because I don't have a touchscreen monitor......

> [...]

> similar
> to mine. The “mio” may be the solution for you also.
>
> As a footnote, let me add that the newly-found Windows operation of my
> netbook yielded some disturbing and unacceptable alterations to the sound.
> It appears that this computer has “Beats Audio” installed, which I
> discovered is some kind of dynamic loudness control to make it sound
> better
> if you are playing at a lower-than-normal sound level. It is certainly not
> what I want. Fortunately I found that it is possible to disable it (Press
> Fn
> plus “B”). It is also possible to uninstall it altogether, which I think
> is
> preferable.
>
> John Reimer

Re: MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

RoyR
Hi, John,

              That is the one certain way of avoiding problems with touch screen monitors!

On 9 May 2015 at 17:19, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> similar
> to mine. The “mio” may be the solution for you also.
>
> As a footnote, let me add that the newly-found Windows operation of my
> netbook yielded some disturbing and unacceptable alterations to the sound.
> It appears that this computer has “Beats Audio” installed, which I
> discovered is some kind of dynamic loudness control to make it sound
> better
> if you are playing at a lower-than-normal sound level. It is certainly not
> what I want. Fortunately I found that it is possible to disable it (Press
> Fn
> plus “B”). It is also possible to uninstall it altogether, which I think
> is
> preferable.
>
> John Reimer

Re: MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

RoyR wrote
Maybe the heroic efforts to make things work under Windows
8.1 would be better employed trying to make your touch screen work under
Ubuntu!    [?]
Roy,

There were no heroic efforts. I simply and reluctantly admitted failure.

One of the things jOrgan has taught me, if I didn't already know it, is that it is fruitless to try to be a one-man-band. I would love to be fluent in the use of the MPL (MIDI Programming Language) and to have a good working knowledge of what all the more recent elements of jOrgan do and how to use them, but I have made a firm decision to stick with the things I understand and do well - namely recording the sounds of real pipe organs and making high quality soundfonts to be used with jOrgan. While there are whiz-kids like Lyn Walls and Paul Stratman who are prepared to share their expertise with the rest of us, and also Dries Nelemans who has shared the making of projects with me, I am grateful that I can use their help and not have to spend precious time trying to be a polymath.

Now, Roy, let me tell you what I would regard as truly heroic. It would be if you or someone else with expertise in Ubuntu Linux were to show me, in terms I can follow (I am quite capable of reproducing Linux command lines), how to get my Ubuntu installation to operate successfully the touch screen ability of my little netbook.......   ;-)

John Reimer

P.S. Please do not tell me to go to the Ubuntu Forum.  Been there...done that.

Re: MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

RoyR
Hi, John,

              You certainly have a point, you can't be an "expert" in everything at once! I suppose I do much the same with my Edirol system, for me, Fluidsynth and such are just names that crop up regularly here!

     As to the touch screen, predictably the first thing I did was look at the Ubuntu forums and similar links. There seems to be a LOT out there but reporting very mixed results. As with most Linux problems, it's all down to whether the correct drivers for your screen have been written. I had great fun finding a driver for my Brother printer!

    The hopeful sign is the Linux community seem very aware that touch screens are here to stay so, hopefully, more drivers will gradually filter through. One problem, as with other hardware items, is that not all manufacturers love Linux. Some refuse to publish the proprietary information needed to drive their stuff properly.

     I don't have a touch screen nor any immediate plans for such so I couldn't do any "original" research, just armchair theorising as usual!

On 10 May 2015 at 01:23, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
RoyR wrote
> Maybe the heroic efforts to make things work under Windows
> 8.1 would be better employed trying to make your touch screen work under
> Ubuntu!    [?]

Roy,

There were no heroic efforts. I simply and reluctantly admitted failure.

One of the things jOrgan has taught me, if I didn't already know it, is that
it is fruitless to try to be a one-man-band. I would love to be fluent in
the use of the MPL (MIDI Programming Language) and to have a good working
knowledge of what all the more recent elements of jOrgan do and how to use
them, but I have made a firm decision to stick with the things I understand
and do well - namely recording the sounds of real pipe organs and making
high quality soundfonts to be used with jOrgan. While there are whiz-kids
like Lyn Walls and Paul Stratman who are prepared to share their expertise
with the rest of us, and also Dries Nelemans who has shared the making of
projects with me, I am grateful that I can use their help and not have to
spend precious time trying to be a polymath.

Now, Roy, let me tell you what I would regard as truly heroic. It would be
if you or someone else with expertise in Ubuntu Linux were to show me, in
terms I can follow (I am quite capable of reproducing Linux command lines),
how to get my Ubuntu installation to operate successfully the touch screen
ability of my little netbook.......   ;-)

John Reimer

P.S. Please do not tell me to go to the Ubuntu Forum.  Been there...done
that.

Re: MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

Pete Theisen
On 05/10/2015 05:58 AM, Roy Radford wrote:

> Hi, John,
>
>                You certainly have a point, you can't be an "expert" in
> everything at once! I suppose I do much the same with my Edirol system,
> for me, Fluidsynth and such are just names that crop up regularly here!
>
>       As to the touch screen, predictably the first thing I did was look
> at the Ubuntu forums and similar links. There seems to be a LOT out
> there but reporting very mixed results. As with most Linux problems,
> it's all down to whether the correct drivers for your screen have been
> written. I had great fun finding a driver for my Brother printer!
>
>      The hopeful sign is the Linux community seem very aware that touch
> screens are here to stay so, hopefully, more drivers will gradually
> filter through. One problem, as with other hardware items, is that not
> all manufacturers love Linux. Some refuse to publish the proprietary
> information needed to drive their stuff properly.

Indeed. I am thinking of setting up my jOrgan console with pistons only,
using the screens and mouse to set the pistons, and the gazillion or so
memory levels so, if I wish, I can have a memory level for each song.
Then I won't ever need touch screens.

But that is just me. If I were rich, I would just get a big house and
put in a pipe organ.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: MIDI success with Windows 8.1 at last

RoyR
Hi, Pete,

             I do exactly the same thing. My interest is more in "orchestral" style organs than pipes (Hence the Edirol SD-20 modules.) so, just as most electronic organs which are largely menu driven, it isn't practical to set stops on the fly, everything is set up in pistons.

    One of our members on Lowreyforum builds and tests real pipe organs but then his nearest neighbour is half a mile away!