MIDI for process control.

RoyR
Hi, Everyone,

                     I'm an old man in rambling mood this morning, those of you with something useful to do with your time, please move on!   😝

    One of the key design criteria for communication systems is that the SENDING device has the responsibility of confirming that a message was received. It's plain common sense really, if the message wasn't received, how could the receiver know one was sent! (Please 'phone me if you don't get this letter... )

   This, of course, implies two-way communication, the receiver must be able to send a reply in acknowledgement of the message. MIDI is a one way system, the controller pours messages into an information vacuum and hopes something is there to receive them! This has been known to cause embarrassing moments if the system fails after a "Note on" message, leaving the last note booming out for ever.

  "Active sensing"was tacked on to address this problem, the sending end has to keep sending a message saying, "I'm still here... I'm still here... " every 300 ms. If a receiver with active sensing doesn't get these messages it shuts all notes off.

   Despite these academic quibbles, MIDI has become immensely popular with the music industry and has become the de facto standard for communication in that field.

    Be that as may, MIDI is certainly not the protocol of choice for general control purposes, there are much better systems for that job, (CAN-BUS for instance.) You wouldn't want a MIDI system controlling the lights, brakes and engine management of your car!

    Technically speaking, you COULD design a greenhouse with heating/lighting/watering controlled by MIDI signals and have jOrgan thumb pistons turning them on and off, but I can't imagine why you would want to!

    End of rambling post.

BCA

Re: MIDI for process control.

BCA
Administrator
Hi Roy,
I wouldn't want to control my musical instruments by MIDI, either.

BTW. Did you ever have an impression how the audience looks from stage point-of-view, in a classical concert? Again, that sender-receiver issue...
all the best,
BCA

Re: MIDI for process control.

RoyR
   I don't know about classical performances but when I was about 16 (OMG, that's going back more than a day or two!) I did a solo spot with the squeeze box in a school concert. The spotlight was completely blinding, I couldn't see the audience at all, just inky blackness!

On 5 August 2015 at 10:50, BCA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Roy,
I wouldn't want to control my musical instruments by MIDI, either.

BTW. Did you ever have an impression how the audience looks from stage
point-of-view, in a classical concert? Again, that sender-receiver issue...

-----
all the best,
BCA

Re: MIDI for process control.

I hope you have read Java's disclaimer:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-6u21-license-159167.txt
"You acknowledge that Licensed Software is not designed or intended for use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility."

The same holds for jOrgan :P

Have fun
Sven

On 05.08.2015 13:06, Roy Radford wrote:
[...]

Just curious, but are the date/time groups on the messages of this forum Greenwich Mean Time or are they derived from the
country of origin in which the particular sender is located?  I looked at the time group of Roy’s message and it appeared to be
six hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time, now Daylight Savings, which puts us only 4 hours behind GMT.  I thought Germany was
one hour ahead of GMT, but Sven’s reply seemed to indicate that that was not the case.  While this has nothing to do with
geriatric (old man) problems, it does contribute to the sense of confusion which makes old age such an exciting time.   The world is 24,000 miles around, at the equator, or any other longitudinal or latitudinal circumference of the earth, so each time zone is 1,000 miles.  Going North or South of the Equator, the zone distances become shorter or narrower as one approaches the North or South Poles.  All of this makes MIDI much more important!

John Beach

Re: MIDI for process control.

jbeach2646
I suppose it is the purpose of the forum relative to the sources contributing to it.
Perhaps, it is still too early in the morning, wherever that might not be true, to evoke a logical correlation.
Besides, Roy, if you consult Burke’s General Armory, you find that the devis of my surname is “Tout en Bonne Heure.”
It might be too early to process everything.....or anything......

John