MIDI Out question

boigman
Hi, All. I have rebuilt an old Allen stop rail for Arduino control. I Altered the tabs so that when I press it, it lights an LED and then springs back, while sending a note-on message to jOrgan through a 4i4o interface. Pressing the tab while the LED is lit turns off the LED and sends a note-off message. Since I can also control stops through a touch screen, I would like to synchronize by sending a MIDI out message from jOrgan back to the stop rail controller, keeping aware of the danger of possible feedback loops. I have a general idea of how to do it, but could use some details. Can anyone point me to dispositions where this kind of output from jOrgan is taking place so I can take a closer look? Also any detailed notes on how to do this beyond what is in the beginner's guide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Dave

Re: MIDI Out question

Hi Dave,

that sounds pretty standard:

Each of the Stop elements gets one Activated and one Activate message.

 >keeping aware of the danger of possible feedback loops.

jOrgan should take care of that automatically.

On 08/27/2014 06:06 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi, All. I have rebuilt an old Allen stop rail for Arduino control. I Altered
> the tabs so that when I press it, it lights an LED and then springs back,
> while sending a note-on message to jOrgan through a 4i4o interface. Pressing
> the tab while the LED is lit turns off the LED and sends a note-off message.
> Since I can also control stops through a touch screen, I would like to
> synchronize by sending a MIDI out message from jOrgan back to the stop rail
> controller, keeping aware of the danger of possible feedback loops. I have a
> general idea of how to do it, but could use some details. Can anyone point
> me to dispositions where this kind of output from jOrgan is taking place so
> I can take a closer look? Also any detailed notes on how to do this beyond
> what is in the beginner's guide would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Dave

Re: MIDI Out question

boigman
Thanks, Sven for responding, and THANKS for JOrgan, it's been amazing!

I thought the best way to learn about MIDI Out would be to try Graham Goode's tutorial interfacing JOrgan with Hauptwerk. I didn't build out the entire disposition, but got far enough that I felt like I was beginning to understand the concepts. I think the copy I found might be an early draft because it didn't seem complete to me. I can't see how engaging a stop in JOrgan causes the HW stop to engage. The rank setup for HW involves a separate MIDI channel for each one. How is that reflected in the JO setup?

Is there a later version of the document available?

Thanks to all who participate in this forum.

--Dave

Re: MIDI Out question

boigman
Ok, after a good night's sleep and by monitoring with Midi-Ox, I can see that a series of note-on and note-off messages are being sent to Hauptwerk with the corresponding channel. I was thrown off by expecting to see the drawknobs move in HW, which they didn't, even though the sounds were being made.

So I thought the next logical step would be to add Activated and Deactivated messages to some of the stops, to see if they came across Midi-Ox too. To the Echo  Bass 16 stop I added  "set 145, set 1, set 100" to the Activated message and "set 145, set 1, set 0" to the Deactivated message. I don't see anything coming across Midi-Ox, however. What pieces am I missing?

Again, if there are any working dispositions like this that someone could point me to, I would be very grateful.

--Dave

Re: MIDI Out question

lwalls
Is the Stop Element (for the Echo Bass 16) referenced from a Connector element, and is
that Connector element's Output property specifying the same MIDI device that you are
monitoring with MIDI-Ox?

CLW

On 8/30/2014 10:57 PM, boigman wrote:

> Ok, after a good night's sleep and by monitoring with Midi-Ox, I can see that
> a series of note-on and note-off messages are being sent to Hauptwerk with
> the corresponding channel. I was thrown off by expecting to see the
> drawknobs move in HW, which they didn't, even though the sounds were being
> made.
>
> So I thought the next logical step would be to add Activated and Deactivated
> messages to some of the stops, to see if they came across Midi-Ox too. To
> the Echo  Bass 16 stop I added  "set 145, set 1, set 100" to the Activated
> message and "set 145, set 1, set 0" to the Deactivated message. I don't see
> anything coming across Midi-Ox, however. What pieces am I missing?
>
> Again, if there are any working dispositions like this that someone could
> point me to, I would be very grateful.
>
> --Dave

Re: MIDI Out question

boigman
lwalls wrote
Is the Stop Element (for the Echo Bass 16) referenced from a Connector element, and is that Connector element's Output property specifying the same MIDI device that you are monitoring with MIDI-Ox? CLW
It wasn't, but I just tried adding one and the results look very promising. I will do some more testing, but it looks like that is what I was missing. Thanks so much for your help! --Dave

Re: MIDI Out question

boigman
Well, that was just what I needed. I altered my disposition and Arduino encoder/decoder code and am now able to activate and deactivate stops freely from either the stop rail or the touchscreen. Special thanks to Graham Harrison who provided me with some sample dispositions and lots of details to help me through this.

This is a great supportive community. As I mentioned to Graham, I have built my own midi encoders using Arduinos, and would be happy to help out anyone who is interested in pursuing that option.

Cheers,

--Dave