Quantcast

MIDI Channel 10 - notEqual 9

grahamg
This is part of the GM (General MIDI specification). From the Fludisynth docs:

---
The General MIDI ("GM") standard, used partially by the default
FluidR3 SoundFont and by FluidSynth itself, further specifies that
there will be 16 channels, and that channel 10 will be used for
(mostly unpitched) percussion instruments. Any program change message
sent to channel 10 will be ignored, and although FluidSynth can be
configured to use a non-percussion program on channel 10, this use is
discouraged.
---

So this is why we use the notEqual 9 in the Channel property. And so
no, it is not a bug  :)

Please note that if you are creating a Fluidsynth disposition with a
soundfont that has more than nine stops/presets, you must use the
notEqual 9 message if you are relying on jOrgan's automatic assigning
of channels.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 8/14/13, BCA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I recall the "notEqual 9" thing as synth specific. Channel 10 is the
> reserved
> drum channel, and to use this channel for other instruments in synths,
> appears to cause channelling problems.

Re: MIDI Channel 10 - notEqual 9

Dries
Thanks for you explanation Graham. I was aware of this special properties for channel 10 but didn't know that this could cause problems in Jorgan/Fluidsynth until Bernd pointed me to this. Puting the channel not equal 9 for each rank is no problem. But would it be an idea that the automatic assigning channel function in jOrgan always avoid to use channel 10 from the program itself? Is this something that Sven can include in the program?

Best regards,
Dries
Dries Nelemans - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands

Re: MIDI Channel 10 - notEqual 9

mezzo
Dries wrote
But would it be an idea that the automatic assigning channel function in jOrgan always avoid to use channel 10 from the program itself? Is this something that Sven can include in the program?
Same opinion, this "issue" should be at least documented and exclusion of number 9 by default. Otherwise one could easily think of a bug. Advanced users are likely to know about the exclusion.
I already experienced the problem and when i tried to find information on internet I get nothing.
Davy

Re: MIDI Channel 10 - notEqual 9

grahamg
Hmmm, I wonder if it possible for the jOrgan Sound Element to
automatically add this? The other Sound Elements don't need it, but
for the Fluidsynth one this makes sense...

On 8/17/13, mezzo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dries wrote
>> But would it be an idea that the automatic assigning channel function in
>> jOrgan always avoid to use channel 10 from the program itself? Is this
>> something that Sven can include in the program?
>
> Same opinion, this "issue" should be at least documented and exclusion of
> number 9 by default. Otherwise one could easily think of a bug. Advanced
> users are likely to know about the exclusion.
> I already experienced the problem and when i tried to find information on
> internet I get nothing.
> Davy

Re: MIDI Channel 10 - notEqual 9

The 'channel' property belongs to the Rank element, and on construction
we don't know which sound element it is used with :/.

Thus I don't think we'll find a default value that fits all circumstances.

Best regards
Sven

On 08/17/2013 01:27 PM, Graham Goode wrote:

> Hmmm, I wonder if it possible for the jOrgan Sound Element to
> automatically add this? The other Sound Elements don't need it, but
> for the Fluidsynth one this makes sense...
>
> On 8/17/13, mezzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dries wrote
>>> But would it be an idea that the automatic assigning channel function in
>>> jOrgan always avoid to use channel 10 from the program itself? Is this
>>> something that Sven can include in the program?
>> Same opinion, this "issue" should be at least documented and exclusion of
>> number 9 by default. Otherwise one could easily think of a bug. Advanced
>> users are likely to know about the exclusion.
>> I already experienced the problem and when i tried to find information on
>> internet I get nothing.
>> Davy

Re: MIDI Channel 10 - notEqual 9

MasterPerforator
GrahamG said:

> The other Sound Elements don't need it, but
> for the Fluidsynth one this makes sense...

The Creative element also needs it, even the Generic Sound playing
through a Creative sound card with soundfonts loaded into memory using
the Soundfont Bank Manager (the way I do it). It's been the way of midi
as far back as I can remember. Channel 10 is always Percussion (I take
that back, very early on channel 16 was sometimes percussion). The only
way to avoid it is to not assign it. The only practical and proper way
to do that in jOrgan (since it nicely assigns channels on the fly) is
'notEqual 9'. That guarantees it won't happen.

Using notEqual 9 is a small price to pay for everything else jOrgan can
do. Just remember to add it to every rank as you build them, first thing
off.

If I remember correctly, this item is already in Bruce Miles notes, and
Bill Skees' Guide, so it's been around for awhile. But it never hurts to
bring it up occasionally, just as a refresher...

Rich