Leeds Minster Sound always on

simgilpat
I have recently had to reload jOrgan and have had a lot of trouble with
32 and 64 bit Java and the various dispositions I had previously downloaded.

The Leeds Minster disposition now seems only to sound with the default
dsound but at least I am getting sound! The problem seems to be that
even with 1 stop out, the sound seems to be the full organ sound and I
cannot work out how to resolve the issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Simon

Re: Leeds Minster Sound always on

jbeach2646
Simon, a cardinal rule when using jOrgan is NEVER mix 32-bit and 64-bit.
Both the Java Runtime and the jOrgan version must be one or the other, but
not both.  While it may be necessary to
have two versions of Java installed on a PC for some browsers, jOrgan must
ALWAYS be one or the other.  If the PC is a 64-bit operating system, stick
to the 64-bit Java and jOrgan version.  Regarding Portaudio backends, Graham
Goode or Bernd Caspar can tell you if this rule applies, as well since they
compiled the Portaudio backends.

I have just configured the Leeds Minster for Portaudio on my jOrgan version
3.21-beta1 and listened to the jOrgan recorder playing Boellmann's "Suite
Gothique."  It plays normally with all the
stop changes made during the performance.   Try using the recorder for
playback of one of the included jOrgan Leeds Minster disposition-proprietary
midi files and see if the problem with the
sound still occurs.  Then you should know if there is some control change
you have made which is causing the problem.

Re: Leeds Minster Sound always on

simgilpat wrote
> even with 1 stop out, the sound seems to be the full organ sound

Simon,

I had a look at your “post history” and learned that you certainly are no
stranger to jOrgan, and that you seem to have had a fairly trouble-free year
with jOrgan after all the posts you sent in  2016. This was valuable,
because it helps any person replying to know the kind of level the reply
should aim for.

The fact that you have sound means that you are probably not experiencing
some kind of 32/64 bits conflict. At least jOrgan is working for you. Your
post implies that you are, however, having problems with the Fluidsynth
backends, and if you want help with that, you will need to give us more
details, including whatever success you have had in the past with the
backends.

As to your problem with the Leeds Minster VPO, that seems very strange. I
immediately thought that there must be a Crescendo Pedal, and that you had
overlooked that. So I opened the “reverberation” disposition (as it’s
called), and after I got it going, discovered that I seem to have the same
problem, and that there is no Crescendo Pedal! As far as I could see, only
the Gt Open Diapason 8 was on, but the sound was much larger. (My laptop
screen, given that the jOrgan Keyboard was at the bottom, showed only the
bottom part of the console). By clicking on all the Cancel pistons I could
see, I then had no sound at all until I clicked on the Great stop once more
and played a note,and of course it was only one stop I was hearing.

This of course could just be a great coincidence that I seem to have
experienced the same thing as yourself, and so your problem is due to
something else altogether, but I saw no harm in mentioning it.

Re: Leeds Minster Sound always on

Chris P
Check that the "sfz" piston is not activated.

-----
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Leeds Minster Sound always on

simgilpat
I thought I had replied to this already, but in case I didn't.......
Chris, your suggestion worked. I did not spot the sofa was "on" and when I
followed your helpful advice, everything sounded normal.
Probably a seepage issue, but I have experiencing fluid synth failures every
time with every organ disposition including the sample ones. I noticed I was
running the jorgan 3.21 beta version. I decided to uninstall and revert to
the 3.20 version. Based on 1 test with English Cathedral organ disposition,
the switch to 3.20 seems to have worked and I did not get the fluid synth
failure message. I will try the Leeds Minster disposition tomorrow and see
if I get similar good result.
What sound buffer settings are best?
Thanks for everyone's help to this novice.
Simon

Re: Leeds Minster Sound always on

Chris P
Hi,

I'm not an expert on this, but I have found this advice posted by Graham G.

/Generally you need to balance the number of notes of polyphony with
the buffer size and buffer count for the sample rate of the soundfont.
Lower buffer sizes decrease latency, but can introduce stuttering
depending on the speed of your hardware. Try decreasing the buffer
size and keeping the same (or increasing) the buffer count./

You may also consider adjusting the number of "cores" to suit your computer
as well as the polyphony in multiples of 256.

Regards
Chris P

-----
Location: West Yorkshire, UK