LattePanda for jOrgan

12

LattePanda for jOrgan

Brian Sweetnam
So, here is a bit more about LP, and reasons for using this in your console,
instead of a laptop, or even a full size computer.

*Specifications of LattePanda:*
SPECIFICATION
Intel Cherry Trail Z8350 Quad Core Processor
Base Frequency: 1.44GHz (1.92GHz Burst Frequency)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition (Unactivated) or Windows 10
Enterprise (Activated)
RAM: 4GB DDR3L
Storage Capacity: 64GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics, 12 EUs @200-500Mhz, single-channel memory
USB 3.0 x 1, USB 2.0 x 2
Wi-Fi 802.11n 2.4G
Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated Arduino Co-processor: ATmega32u4 (Arduino Leonardo)
Video output: HDMI and MIPI-DSI
Onboard touch panel overlay connector
Supports 100Mbps Ethernet
Intel Processor GPIO x 6
ATmega Processor GPIO x 20
Gravity Interface Connectors x 6
Voltage: 5V@2A
Board Dimensions: 88 x 70mm / 3.46 x 2.76"
Package Dimensions: 110 x 94 x 30 mm/4.33 x 3.70 x 1.18"
NET Weight: 55g
Gross Weight: 100g
RoHS, FCC and CE Compliant

You can buy various version of LattePanda, one with only 2GB Ram, and 32
eMMC onboard storage, is available at cheaper price.

I have the current best model available, with 4 GB ram and 64 GB eMMC
onboard storage, it is also running a paid for pre-activated Windows 10
Enterprise edition.

The reason I mention the Windows 10 Enterprise edition, is so that you can
realize your dream of being able to simply turn your organ computer on and
off, at will, without needing to do a graceful shutdown.  This is made
possible by a special feature of Windows 10 Enterprise. If you have the
Windows 10 Enterprise version on the 4/64, you can set up the UWF (Unified
Write Filter) to protect the OS in the event of an unexpected shutdown -
meaning, that you can just turn on and off the power at will, to the LP to
shut it down and boot it up.

The LP also has Arduino, with various in and output pins, that you can
access via Arduino.  There are some members on this forum, that have used
Teensy with some multiplexers, as a MIDI interface for their console, so I'm
thinking, that it can also be done with Arduino.  You can certainly use
Arduino as MIDI interface.  So theoretically, you could use just the
LattePanda, as your console computer, as well as, your MIDI interface and
MIDI encoder?  That would be a huge saving of money.  I know because I
bought a big console encoder from Midi Boutique, and it was really expensive
(for me anyway).  Maybe not so expensive for people from other countries?

If you want to, you can also use the pins and Arduino to swich on and off
your amplifiers, console lights, etc etc etc automatically.

Considedering how well the much less powerfull Raspberry PI has worked for
me, this LattePanda, is a much much more powerfull computer with 4 times the
amount of RAM (4 gigbates compared to just 1 gigabyte on the PI).

The LattePanda, can also have two screens at the same time.  I have one 7
inch LattePanda touch screen, and will be adding a full HD second screen,
via the HDMI output, and will install this second touch screen as a music
score display screen.

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

jbeach2646
Brian,  is it the smaller computer size that would make its installation
inside an organ console preferable to the normal mini-tower PC ?  From the
standpoint of RAM and storage resources
needed to run jOrgan, (not GrandOrgue or Hauptwerk), with the dispositions
that are available, is 4 GB RAM sufficient for all of those?  I recently
equipped a church organ (Lowery MX-2) with
a full tower PC and touchscreen.  While it is unobtrusive, the idea of, at
some future point, installing a LattePanda within the internal empty spaces
of the Lowery would be preferable.  I know nothing of Arduino, but assume
that a USB-MIDI cable (5-pin DIN IN/OUT jacks on the organ) would work with
the LattePanda, without modification?

Thanks.

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

lwalls
Brian,

That's a fairly robust spec.  I note the provision of a USB 3.0 port, but lack of Gig
ethernet or ac (5G) Wi-Fi...but maybe those will come with future versions.

This spec seems ideal for jOrgan and Fluidsynth.  But I also have Hauptwerk, and I don't
think it could handle that...especially with only 4GB memory.

Instead of Arduino, I use a Raspberry-Pi for power-up and power-down sequencing -- and a
few other things like turning lights on and off, and turning on and off the computer
monitor (not the computer itself, which I leave on all the time).

I'll keep watch for a version of LP that has R-Pi integration.

But that's really not important, because you can do almost anything from Windows that you
need with R-Pi messaging through the ethernet or Wi-Fi connection (except absolute
real-time interaction).

CLW

On 2/20/2018 5:36 AM, Brian Sweetnam wrote:

> [...]
> LattePanda, as your console computer, as well as, your MIDI interface and
> MIDI encoder?  That would be a huge saving of money.  I know because I
> bought a big console encoder from Midi Boutique, and it was really expensive
> (for me anyway).  Maybe not so expensive for people from other countries?
>
> If you want to, you can also use the pins and Arduino to swich on and off
> your amplifiers, console lights, etc etc etc automatically.
>
> Considedering how well the much less powerfull Raspberry PI has worked for
> me, this LattePanda, is a much much more powerfull computer with 4 times the
> amount of RAM (4 gigbates compared to just 1 gigabyte on the PI).
>
> The LattePanda, can also have two screens at the same time.  I have one 7
> inch LattePanda touch screen, and will be adding a full HD second screen,
> via the HDMI output, and will install this second touch screen as a music

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

jOrgan - User mailing list
Brian,
Thanx for the hands-on LattePanda report. Kudos!
This list is an awesome resource because of folks like you who participate.

pk
StentorVox.com

Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 2:36 AM PST, Brian Sweetnam wrote:
<snip>
So, here is a bit more about LP, and reasons for using this in your console,
instead of a laptop, or even a full size computer.
*Specifications of LattePanda:* ...
<snip>

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

Brian Sweetnam wrote
> So, here is a bit more about LP

BrianS,

Thank you for that information. I would be interested to hear eventually
whether the audio output, without any third party hardware, is satisfactory.

One thing you may need to watch with that computer is that Windows allows a
power management setting which helps to keep the CPU from getting too hot.
So it throttles back the speed of the CPU until the demand really requires
the maximum speed. I found this happening on my ordinary laptop, and was
able to disable it. I am pleased to admit that it never seemed to interfere
with the proper operation of jOrgan, however. But I imagine that it could
become a factor if one likes to pull out all the stops, plus numerous
couplers, which I am certainly not in the habit of doing!

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

Brian Sweetnam
Considering how well even a Raspberry PI 3 model B has been in running my
heavyweight disposition, the same disposition, should really be a breeze on
the LP.  The LP has 4 times as much RAM as the R Pi.

Remember also, that the Arduino co-processor is integrated into the guts of
the LP, it means you could theoretically program this to be your midi
encoder as well.  I currently use an 8 out and 2 in USB sound box, and it is
running smoothly, with absolutely no sound breakup / stuttering, and
negligible latency, using just WASAPI sound drivers.  Admittedly, I've not
had time to run jOrgan on this board, but I cannot foresee any problems with
it.

As soon as my console build / modification project is finished, I will
install jOrgan.  Yes, it will probably not run Hauptwerk.  My Hauptwerk
console, has a dedicated Intel i7 computer built into the console, with 16
Gig ram, and a 5 member Raid array, and 10 channel audio card.  I am really
pleased with that console. This new console, is not meant for Hauptwerk, it
is meant for jOrgan and vArranger2.  I love playing with arranger keyboards,
and this will be my arranger organ - an advanced version of an arranger
keyboard.  You could for example, also build this LP into an accordion
(well, you could also do it with a PI) and have midi over wifi.  These
credit card SBC's are reallly opening up a whole new world of possibilities,
of creating digital versions, of old favourite instruments.

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 2:52 PM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Brian Sweetnam wrote
> So, here is a bit more about LP

BrianS,

Thank you for that information. I would be interested to hear eventually
whether the audio output, without any third party hardware, is satisfactory.

One thing you may need to watch with that computer is that Windows allows a
power management setting which helps to keep the CPU from getting too hot.
So it throttles back the speed of the CPU until the demand really requires
the maximum speed. I found this happening on my ordinary laptop, and was
able to disable it. I am pleased to admit that it never seemed to interfere
with the proper operation of jOrgan, however. But I imagine that it could
become a factor if one likes to pull out all the stops, plus numerous
couplers, which I am certainly not in the habit of doing!

John Reimer

I didn't "copy" this earlier, but I received it 21 hours ago.

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

jOrgan - User mailing list
Brian,

Does your jOrgan setup enable you to feature eight discrete amp outputs using LattePanda?

Or do you speak rather of the number of USB ports for interfacing?

LP reports here on this list reveal a really good opportunity for a small computer running MIDI with power and Win 10 or Linux OS potential, but many user Internet comments are negative. I admit they are not speaking of MIDI applications, but I am curious how well this system can run multiple amp outputs.

pk

Thursday, February 22, 2018, 9:39:47 AM PST, Brian Sweetnam  wrote:

<snip>
  I currently use an 8 out and 2 in USB sound box, and it is
running smoothly, with absolutely no sound breakup / stuttering, and
negligible latency, using just WASAPI sound drivers.
<snip>

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

I have now installed all 3 manuals, the audio amplifier, the pedalboard, the
two full range speakers, and the sub-woofer speaker.  I've also installed
and wired the old buttons, that will also get a new life in the organ.  I've
used a grinder to cut up a Yamaha PSR 295 arranger keyboard, and I've
installed it as the bottom most manual, in this organ.  Next I need to
create the control panel for this organ, with lots of potentiometers, faders
(that will be controlled from a set of physical Hammond drawbars - they will
perform this function in the organ. I'm really excited with this stage of
the build.

Perhaps most people will think I'm mad because I've cut up the Yamaha
keyboard with a grinder, but it really is the only way that I could make it
fit.  I did this for 2 reasons.  1'st is so that I have it available as a
3'rd manual, and the 2'nd reason, is so that I have all the wonderful sounds
that are built into this keyboard available for me to play with.

I have to add, that this setup worked perfectly with my Raspberry Pi 3 model B, but because I also want to use a virtual arranger software, called vArraner2, I needed to use a windows based computer, that is why I pulled out the Raspberry Pi 3 and in it's place will be installing the LattePanda Windows 10 computer.

Ron

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

Ron
Sounds great...but where is the photo of the work in progress?

Ron Biddle
KA4RON
Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 20, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have now installed all 3 manuals, the audio amplifier, the pedalboard, the
> two full range speakers, and the sub-woofer speaker.  I've also installed
> and wired the old buttons, that will also get a new life in the organ.  I've
> used a grinder to cut up a Yamaha PSR 295 arranger keyboard, and I've
> installed it as the bottom most manual, in this organ.  Next I need to
> create the control panel for this organ, with lots of potentiometers, faders
> (that will be controlled from a set of physical Hammond drawbars - they will
> perform this function in the organ. I'm really excited with this stage of
> the build.
>
> Perhaps most people will think I'm mad because I've cut up the Yamaha
> keyboard with a grinder, but it really is the only way that I could make it
> fit.  I did this for 2 reasons.  1'st is so that I have it available as a
> 3'rd manual, and the 2'nd reason, is so that I have all the wonderful sounds
> that are built into this keyboard available for me to play with.
>

> -----
> Regards,
>
> BrianS
> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

Brian Sweetnam
Hi Ron,Here are some photos. It's obviously still not done.  I need to mount
the Yamaha PSR-295 control panel.  Then also the LattePanda computer.  It is
a SINGLE BOARD COMPUTER only slightly bigger than a credit card.  I will be
attaching the native 7 inch touch screen to it, as well as a 23 inch touch
screen, as a music rest.  I will use the large screen for my music fake
books, but can also lean a real book against the screen.  I need to put
speaker grill cloth on the speakers as well, install pedal lights, install
console lights, install swell pedal, install a lot more push buttons and
rotary controllers.  Also being installed are a set of Hammond drawbars, 9
each for upper and lower, but only 2 bars for the pedal (the set comes out
of my broken Hammond E100. I know it looks like a very odd configuration
with only 13 pedals, two manuals only have 49 keys, and one manual has 51
keys.  It is not for serious pipe organ music though, it is to play with in
a totally different style.  I will be using jOrgan, as well as other
software on this organ, called vArranger2.  vArranger2 is a virtual
arranger, and is used the same way as an arranger keyboard would be used.
But this one is on steroids, as I can have a 3 manual + pedal arranger
setup.  All the benefits of an arranger keyboard but expanded onto a 3
manual organ with pedals.  It really is amazing.Inside the console computer
will be running Windows 10 and vArranger.I am building 2 (as a starting
point) intelligent "speaker cabinets" that will each contain a Raspberry Pi
computer, running jOrgan on each one.  Midi messages will be sent via Wifi
from the organ console and then received by these two cabinets via Wifi,
which will then play the sounds.  There will be no physical connection
between the organ and the intelligent speaker cabinet.  It's like having
separate pipe chambers.  Each little speaker cabinet will contain a
Raspberry Pi, 10 inch touch screen (just for showing the disposition for
that cabinet alone), soundcard, quad channel amplifier, parametric
equaliser, HP blade PSU, 2 full range speakers, and one subwoofer speaker.
The cabinet will be on castors so that I can move it around easier.
Perhaps, I can try to make them the size of a coffee table or side table,
then they will possibly not need the castors, I will see when I design them.
speaker_cabinet_diagram.jpg
<http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/speaker_cabinet_diagram.jpg>
buttons_1.jpg <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/buttons_1.jpg>
buttons_2.jpg <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/buttons_2.jpg>
buttons_3.jpg <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/buttons_3.jpg>
pedals_&_amplifier_installed.jpg
<http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/pedals_%26_amplifier_installed.jpg>
Yamaha_PSR_295_arranger_keyboard,_after_cutting_it_up_with_grinder.jpg
<http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/Yamaha_PSR_295_arranger_keyboard%2C_after_cutting_it_up_with_grinder.jpg>
Yamaha_psr_295_control_panel.jpg
<http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/Yamaha_psr_295_control_panel.jpg>
organ_with_3_rd_manual_&_speakers_installed.jpg
<http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/organ_with_3_rd_manual_%26_speakers_installed.jpg>

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

Brian Sweetnam
After studying the photos, you will see that I have added a lot of buttons to
the organ, and I have removed a few.

I can only re-use existing rotary switches from the original organ.  It has
about 60 rotary controllers, but only 6 are reusable.  So I don't know if it
is worth the effort.

I will be adding more push-buttons, as well as rotary controllers, and
sliders.  The sliders will be inside the console, and will be physically
controlled by my set of Hammond E100 drawbars.  I'm really looking forward
to playing on this organ.

Ron

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

Ron
Impressive! I'm not familiar with vArranger software. I have a Psr510 Yamaha and do like a lot of the sounds.

Ron Biddle
KA4RON
Sent from my iPad

> [...]
> speaker_cabinet_diagram.jpg
> <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/speaker_cabinet_diagram.jpg>
> buttons_1.jpg <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/buttons_1.jpg>
> buttons_2.jpg <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/buttons_2.jpg>
> buttons_3.jpg <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/buttons_3.jpg>
> pedals_&_amplifier_installed.jpg
> <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/pedals_%26_amplifier_installed.jpg>
> Yamaha_PSR_295_arranger_keyboard,_after_cutting_it_up_with_grinder.jpg
> <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/Yamaha_PSR_295_arranger_keyboard%2C_after_cutting_it_up_with_grinder.jpg>
> Yamaha_psr_295_control_panel.jpg
> <http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/Yamaha_psr_295_control_panel.jpg>
> organ_with_3_rd_manual_&_speakers_installed.jpg

Hi Aaron,

You are right.  I am providing power using an HP blade power supply unit.
They can be bought on e-bay.  They supply 12V and 5V at

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

Aaron Laws
Oh yeah, that's right; I have a few. Mine is very loud, though, so I wanted to make it quieter. If I remember properly, you said yours powers down the fan if the unit isn't running hot. Mine doesn't, it runs full all the time. The fan diameter is maybe 1.5 inches, so the fan has to rotate very fast to get proper air flow.

I'm trying to replace the fan with a much larger one so that it can run at a lower RPM, but the power supply unit is picky about how fast the fan goes. I'm in the process of wiring up a 555 to simulate the proper-RPM fan feedback, but haven't had time to work on it.

Next things I need to do: Decide what kind of signal to send (12v square wave I guess?)
Decide how fast the factory fans go
Wire my 555 to oscillate at the correct rate
Solder the circuit to a breadboard
Create a baffle for the larger fan to funnel the air into where the factory fans used to go.
Connect everything so that it's stable enough to sit in my organ without breaking/shorting, etc.

If anyone has any clues... ;-)

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 1:03 PM, Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaron,

You are right.  I am providing power using an HP blade power supply unit.
They can be bought on e-bay.  They supply 12V and 5V at

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

Brian Sweetnam
Updated block diagram for the 'mobile pipe chambers' I intend building.  I
hope somebody finds this useful.  I am back from a 2 week road trip holiday
to Cape Town. Mobile_Virtual_Pipe_Chamber.vsd
<http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/t93066/Mobile_Virtual_Pipe_Chamber.vsd>

Re: LattePanda for jOrgan

jbeach2646
Brian, I saved the .vsd file  and downloaded Microsoft Visio, but I don't
get the conversion of the file from the text format which is at the link.
Any ideas about what I should do to view it?