LattePanda - Single board computer running full verison of Windows 10

LattePanda - Single board computer running full verison of Windows 10

BrianS
Today, I drove about 120 roundtrip to pick up my LattePanda single board
computer.  I got the one with 4 GIG ram, 64 gig emmc storrage, and a 1.8 gHz
64 bit quad core CPU.

I am upgrading my console that has been running on a Raspberry Pi 3 model B.
The pi works wonderfully, but I have a new idea.

I am removing the Raspbery Pi 3 Model B from the console, and in it's place
I will install the LattePanda running Windows 10, and jOrgan.

I have 2 Raspberry Pi 3 model B computers that are doing nothing.  They will
become my 2 seperate "pipe chambers".

So there there will be the main controlling disposition running inside the
console on the Latte Panda, with 2 audio channels. Then in two small wooden
boxes, I will install in each one, a Raspberry Pi 3 model B, a 4 channel
audio amplifier, parametric equaliser to control 2 full range 6X9 inch
speakers, and one 15 inch subwoofer.  So there will be 3 distinct stereo
'chambers' in my new project. I will connect the two 'remote' chambers via
wifi to the main controlling disposition.  I have already done this with
great sucess last year, using only two Raspberries. This setup will give me
4 gig ram for the main chamber, and one gig ram each for the two remote
chambers.

Re: LattePanda - Single board computer running full verison of Windows 10

morcc
Tried a similar idea for a portable VPO.  To get a small size, I tried a Dell 8" tablet with about the same specs, plus a built in touch screen,
and got jOrgan working on it.

Wasn't satisfied with the audio, and by the time a suitable USB DAC plus the usual VPO stuff was added, it didn't appear to be a path with a
good future.  I moved on to a $27 standard mini-ITX motherboard which is small and can take up to 16G of memory. The mini-ITX format is
well standardized, and for a little (or much if you wish) more than $27, very capable motherboards in the same format are available.

Bill

Re: LattePanda - Single board computer running full verison of Windows 10

morcc wrote
> Tried a similar idea for a portable VPO.  To get a small size, I tried a
> Dell 8" tablet with about the same specs, plus a built in touch screen,
> and got jOrgan working on it.
>
> Wasn't satisfied with the audio, and by the time a suitable USB DAC plus
> the usual VPO stuff was added, it didn't appear to be a path with a good
> future.

Bill,

Your post doesn’t actually state that you found the audio of LattePanda
unsatisfactory, but I assume that that is what you are referring to. Can you
say what was unsatisfactory about it? It goes without saying that the audio
of Raspberry Pi is also unsatisfactory, judging by many reports. But there
are workarounds for that, as Brian and yourself and many others have made
very clear. Some of those workarounds are expensive (HiFi Berry matches the
cost of the Pi here in Australia), but some, such as Brian’s, are not.

On this matter, I was put off by Brian’s solution because the particular
cheap USB soundcard he is using appears to be no longer readily available. I
bought a similar cheap device on eBay and found it useless, and this sort of
thing has happened to me before this one. So there is a risk involved. On
the other hand, I have found a promising-looking webpage discussing the use
of another cheap USB soundcard with the Pi, and this particular card does
seem to be still available and pretty easy to identify. I would like to try
it out, but currently I am devoting my time to creating a “jORGAN DISCOVERY”
website. Progress this past week has been very slow, due to a persistent
virus.    ;-(
Here is the link:
https://computers.tutsplus.com/articles/using-a-usb-audio-device-with-a-raspberry-pi--mac-55876
Note that this is about 5 years old, so its advice may be outdated.

When I saw Brian’s post that started this thread, it struck me that the
LattePanda is custom-made for jOrgan - even the 2GB RAM version, which is
about half the price of yours, perhaps. I certainly hope that any
shortcomings in its audio performance can be overcome. Doubtless Brian will
give us a report.

Re: LattePanda - Single board computer running full verison of Windows 10

lwalls
After reading this post about the LattePanda computer I searched for it on the internet,
and found lots of stuff to read about it.

It seems quite robust.  I was impressed.

I do wonder about whether the somewhat low-powered CPU will be enough to run all the
graphics and bloat of Windows 10 plus audio.

But I may just get one, just out of pure curiosity!

CLW

Re: LattePanda - Single board computer running full verison of Windows 10

BrianS
I can report back for certain, that the LattePanda (LP from now on) does run
a full version of Windows 10 very smoothly.  I have been running vArranger2
on it for 2 days now, with no system problems. Today I am going to install
jOrgan and test it with some dispositions.  I can predict, that because the
Raspberry PI can run some really fabulous dispositions, there is no reason
why the LP cannot do even better.  I have no glitches or sound breakup on
the Raspberry Pi project, so I don't foresee inferior performance form the
LP.

After all, the LP is much much more powerful than the Raspberry PI.

In my mind I see no more reason that anybody should be using laptops or
desktop computers to run jOrgan, (except if they are already owned and of no
other use).  Certainly, it makes for a very small and elegant solution for
any organ console project.  This is certainly true if you are planning on
using FS as a backend.  I'm not quite sure how it will perform if you decide
to use GO or Hauptwerk as a backend.  It will also perform well if you use
hardware modules as a backend, but it might be an overkill even for that,
because I've seen that the Raspberry PI is more than powerful enough to do
hardware and FS backends.

I've also been running some great tonewheel vsti's for the last two days.  I
am absolutely hooked on the LP, it is really proving invaluable in this area
specifically - a cheap, simple Windows platform to run vsti's on.  I've been
wondering how to use my set of real Hammond drawbars, and in this new
project, will install them, as the vsti's can be programmed to use hardware
buttons, and sliders, to control the vsti.

My midi encoder from Midi boutique, which is a console encoder, can read 64
continuous (analogue) inputs, and 320 digital inputs.

Re: LattePanda - Single board computer running full verison of Windows 10

morcc

No, it wasn't an Latte Panda upon which the audio was found to be less than satisfactory---it was a Dell tablet of similar size and with nearly the same memory and OS capabilities.  After much effort was expended without much to show for it, the problem seemed that the CPU was so obsessed with doing Windows stuff that it was difficult to get it to pay attention to the audio tasks.  No available backend seemed to eliminate occasional dropouts.  When every available configuration trick had been used to get the compter to concentrate on audio, funny things began to happen to the video.  It appears that the CPU was pedalling as fast as it could and not quite keeping up.  At that point, the efoort seemed to be a losing battle.  That may or may not be the case with the LP, but they are very have similar limitations.  What lured me into this unfruitful exercise was the fact that the tablet has a built-in touchscreen so, with pistons, one might dispense with a lot of bulk in a portable instrument.

At this point, I'm avoiding boards with limited memory and stripped-down, wired-in CPU's.

I am about to look into an  inexpensive single board computer to be devoted to the mundane task of converting USB sound to serial PCM to drive one of the PCM5102A DAC cards that are cheap and readily available for Pi's and Arduino's.  The PCM5102 seems to be excellent, but there seems to be a big $ markup when the SA9227 USB to serial PCM chip gets added to make a USB DAC board.   Also, it may be possible to use one SBC to drive several such DAC's.

Bill

morcc wrote > Tried a similar idea for a portable VPO. To get a small size, I tried a > Dell 8" tablet with about the same specs, plus a built in touch screen, > and got jOrgan working on it. > > Wasn't satisfied with the audio, and by the time a suitable USB DAC plus > the usual VPO stuff was added, it didn't appear to be a path with a good > future. Bill, Your post doesn’t actually state that you found the audio of LattePanda unsatisfactory, but I assume that that is what you are referring to. Can you say what was unsatisfactory about it? It goes without saying that the audio of Raspberry Pi is also unsatisfactory, judging by many reports. But there are workarounds for that, as Brian and yourself and many others have made very clear. Some of those workarounds are expensive (HiFi Berry matches the cost of the Pi here in Australia), but some, such as Brian’s, are not. On this matter, I was put off by Brian’s solution because the particular cheap USB soundcard he is using appears to be no longer readily available. I bought a similar cheap device on eBay and found it useless, and this sort of thing has happened to me before this one. So there is a risk involved. On the other hand, I have found a promising-looking webpage discussing the use of another cheap USB soundcard with the Pi, and this particular card does seem to be still available and pretty easy to identify. I would like to try it out, but currently I am devoting my time to creating a “jORGAN DISCOVERY” website. Progress this past week has been very slow, due to a persistent virus. ;-( Here is the link: https://computers.tutsplus.com/articles/using-a-usb-audio-device-with-a-raspberry-pi--mac-55876 Note that this is about 5 years old, so its advice may be outdated. When I saw Brian’s post that started this thread, it struck me that the LattePanda is custom-made for jOrgan - even the 2GB RAM version, which is about half the price of yours, perhaps. I certainly hope that any shortcomings in its audio performance can be overcome. Doubtless Brian will give us a report. John Reimer -- Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot _______________________________________________ jOrgan-user mailing list jOrgan-[hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user

Re: LattePanda - Single board computer running full verison of Windows 10

John Reimer wrote
> I have found a promising-looking webpage discussing the use of another
> cheap USB soundcard with the Pi, and this particular card does seem to be
> still available and pretty easy to identify.

I discovered I had one of these, and gave it a bit of a listening test. It
worked well with my organ console laptop running Windows 8.1, and I was very
pleased with the sound. Windows even allowed me to adjust its settings e.g.
to disable the bass boost. I had the impression that this might need to be
disabled each time it is used, so if that is the case, that for me is a
distinct minus. jOrgan certainly detected it. The unit required that its
“mode” switch be used to turn off the input for the output to be active.

At this point the microphone socket assembly broke loose internally (I had
an alligator clip connected to it to earth, to prevent a loud hum, which the
output arrangements did not deal with, for some reason). Then the whole case
broke open! This allowed me to examine the works. I was not impressed with
the input and output sockets being secured to the circuit board merely at
three points each, using ordinary and minimal surface mounting soldering and
paste! Definitely bad practice. The loss of the input socket was no problem
for our purposes, and I was able to “put it back together” and try it in my
main computer using Linux Ubuntu. Ubuntu definitely detected it, but using
the sound test showed only the left channel to be active. I did not
investigate further, whether e.g. following the download (driver?)
instructions found on the webpage would have made any difference. I must
point out that there were many emails included on that webpage, and they
were a very mixed bag. Some people had success, but many did not. I can’t
really recommend it - especially with Linux.