LAN extension

12

LAN extension

Lynn,

I have read your description in an earlier topic about this lan extension.

Could somebody just guide me through the process of creating a simple dispotion, where I play the note on a midi keyboard connected to computer 1, and hear the note played on computer 2, on Raspbian Linux.  The right stuff seems to already be installed, because I do manage to get a note playing on computer number 2, when I click the switch on computer number 1 in the Lan example disposition.

I am setting up 2 Raspberry Pi 3 model B running Raspbian and jOrgan on each one.  On computer one I have 1 sender on the lan extension, and on computer number 2 I have one receiver on the lan extesnsion.  So currently some message is going through from one computer to the next.  I just have no idea how to chain things so that I can have a manual on computer number 1, and when I select a stop and play a note, I want that stop and note to be played on computer number 2.

So will I use different things for the stops and yet others for the notes?  I have no idea where to start.

I only need to know 2 things:
1. How to activate and de-activate stops from the PI that has the midi encoder attached to it.
2. How to send notes played from the PI that has the midi encoder attached to it. I will controll the whole organ from the 'primary' PI, and this PI will be the one with the midi hardware connected to it.
3. I want to play ranks on both PI's. So some ranks will live in the Primary PI and some ranks will live in the secondary PI.
4. All ranks will be controlled from the Primary PI touch screen.

Anybody, please help with a simple chain that I will try to do.

Re: LAN extension

BrianS wrote
The right stuff seems to already be installed, because I do manage to get a note playing on computer number 2, when I click the switch on computer number 1 in the Lan example disposition.
Brian,

I know next to nothing about using the LAN provision for jOrgan, but I have a vested interest in this, as I do plan to use two computers along the lines of what you are attempting. However, because of other jOrgan prorities, that is still somewhat down the track for me.

I do think that the measure of success you seem to have had with the LAN example disposition is where you must start. My suggestion is that you open that disposition, go into Construct mode, and thoroughly examine every detail, taking care to look at all Elements and their Properties, and the References associated with them. You also need to examine the Messages associated with each Element (some probably won't have any). Try to understand the role that each detail plays. Ask questions galore if you need to, using this Forum. You need to take your time with this, as the exercise is meant to lead you into an understanding of what is involved in constructing your own (much larger) dispositions.

The other matters in your list must wait until you have confidence in how dispositions work.

Re: LAN extension

Aaron Laws
I've kept up perhaps 80% with Brian S.'s project(s), but I still don't know why more than one machine would be involved. I understand you want to use four machines each running jorgan; why?

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 12:14 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
BrianS wrote
> The right stuff seems to already be installed, because I do manage to get
> a note playing on computer number 2, when I click the switch on computer
> number 1 in the Lan example disposition.

Brian,

I know next to nothing about using the LAN provision for jOrgan, but I have
a vested interest in this, as I do plan to use two computers along the lines
of what you are attempting. However, because of other jOrgan prorities, that
is still somewhat down the track for me.

I do think that the measure of success you seem to have had with the LAN
example disposition is where you must start. My suggestion is that you open
that disposition, go into Construct mode, and thoroughly examine every
detail, taking care to look at all Elements and their Properties, and the
References associated with them. You also need to examine the Messages
associated with each Element (some probably won't have any). Try to
understand the role that each detail plays. Ask questions galore if you need
to, using this Forum. You need to take your time with this, as the exercise
is meant to lead you into an understanding of what is involved in
constructing your own (much larger) dispositions.

The other matters in your list must wait until you have confidence in how
dispositions work.

Re: LAN extension

BrianS
Hi Aaron,

I want to use 4 Raspberry Pi's, because they are so cheap.  Each Raspberry adds another stereo pair.  My current console is too big for me.  I want to scale down.  And the Raspberry boots much faster than does the i7 that is currently in my console.  I am starting a smaller console, with only 2 manuals.  It will be a disk-less console My current console has an i7 with 16 gig ram, as well as a 4 disk Raid set.  It is too much I think.

So I have am learning from Graham Goode how to accomplish this in the disposition.  I am going to produce a write up once I am done with it.

I think once the jOrgan community hears multi-channel audio, they will appreciate the benefit that it brings.  I cannot buy a multi channel audio card, it is too difficult to source one in South Africa, and the are really expensive here.  So a cheaper way is to split the disposition onto many Raspberry Pi's, and each one gives at least one stereo pair, per Pi.

As you increase the number of audio channels, you increase the realism of the experience.

Another advantage is that the Raspberry Pi can be run headless reliably as well, although that is not my intention.  I have a 10.1 inch touch screen connected to it.  I thought I was going to use 2 of them, but I think not, one Raspberry will run headless, and the other will run with the 10.1 inch screen.  I think it could be quite usefull if for example you do use 4 touch screen per division, and reduce the size of the screen to perhaps 7 inches, as these are readilly available in South Africa as well, as are 5 inch screens and even smaller versions.

Re: LAN extension

He invites the Blessed Trinity to his private meditations . . .

O-:

On 03/07/2017 08:56 AM, Aaron Laws wrote:

> I've kept up perhaps 80% with Brian S.'s project(s), but I still don't
> know why more than one machine would be involved. I understand you want
> to use four machines each running jorgan; why?
>

> In Christ,
> Aaron Laws
>
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 12:14 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     BrianS wrote
>     > The right stuff seems to already be installed, because I do manage
>     to get
>     > a note playing on computer number 2, when I click the switch on
>     computer
>     > number 1 in the Lan example disposition.
>
>     Brian,
>
>     I know next to nothing about using the LAN provision for jOrgan, but
>     I have
>     a vested interest in this, as I do plan to use two computers along
>     the lines
>     of what you are attempting. However, because of other jOrgan
>     prorities, that
>     is still somewhat down the track for me.
>
>     I do think that the measure of success you seem to have had with the LAN
>     example disposition is where you must start. My suggestion is that
>     you open
>     that disposition, go into Construct mode, and thoroughly examine every
>     detail, taking care to look at all Elements and their Properties,
>     and the
>     References associated with them. You also need to examine the Messages
>     associated with each Element (some probably won't have any). Try to
>     understand the role that each detail plays. Ask questions galore if
>     you need
>     to, using this Forum. You need to take your time with this, as the
>     exercise
>     is meant to lead you into an understanding of what is involved in
>     constructing your own (much larger) dispositions.
>
>     The other matters in your list must wait until you have confidence
>     in how
>     dispositions work.
>
>     John Reimer
>

>     --

> dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an
> http://sdm.link/oxford

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: LAN extension

BrianS
:)

Re: LAN extension

I can think of three benefits: You can use keyboards that only have one
output MIDI channel, you get more memory and you get more audio output
channels with no extra hardware.

A fourth benefit would be more processing power, but this may be moot.

BUT - you have to be able to get common function of Crescendo, couplers
and pistons.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:02 AM, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Okay, so you're focusing on audio channels coupled with economy. What is your goal with the audio channels? Are you trying to increase aural space or reduce dissonance or something else?

I would like to get to know fluidsynth a little better to make it capable of more than two audio channels as well. As a quick sketch, I would like to get two dolby 5.1 cards (6 channels each) so that each note class can be played on its own audio channel to reduce dissonance. Now of course, it is rare for 12 note classes to sound simultaneously (and if they did, perhaps dissonance is not the greatest concern), so there can be some juggling of note-class-to-audio-channel mapping to have the same effect, namely, one note class per channel at any time. Perhaps this is possible by using lots of "fluidsynth" elements in the disposition, but I would rather it be managed all in one fluidsynth element (this seems like functionality that fluidsynth could reasonably attain).

Thanks for keeping us abreast!

Oh! I just got that "holy trinity to his meditations" thing... brian + 3 = 4 machines   haha!

Re: LAN extension

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can think of three benefits: You can use keyboards that only have one
output MIDI channel, you get more memory and you get more audio output
channels with no extra hardware.

A fourth benefit would be more processing power, but this may be moot.

BUT - you have to be able to get common function of Crescendo, couplers
and pistons.

Yes, these are good answers. On my VPO, that reasoning doesn't make sense, but it does for Brian and that's why I didn't understand the rationale in the first place :-)

When you say "common function", are you talking about synchronization in time, or just making sure they're all available to jorgan in such a way that they can affect the sound on (potentially) all the different machines?

Re: LAN extension

Pete Theisen
All the different machines - as though you were using an EXPENSIVE
hardware relay . . .

On 03/07/2017 09:40 AM, Aaron Laws wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I can think of three benefits: You can use keyboards that only have one
>     output MIDI channel, you get more memory and you get more audio output
>     channels with no extra hardware.
>
>     A fourth benefit would be more processing power, but this may be moot.
>
>     BUT - you have to be able to get common function of Crescendo, couplers
>     and pistons.
>

> Yes, these are good answers. On my VPO, that reasoning doesn't make
> sense, but it does for Brian and that's why I didn't understand the
> rationale in the first place :-)
>
> When you say "common function", are you talking about synchronization in
> time, or just making sure they're all available to jorgan in such a way
> that they can affect the sound on (potentially) all the different machines?
>
> In Christ,
> Aaron Laws

> dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an
> http://sdm.link/oxford

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: LAN extension

Aaron,

In my current console, I have a 10 channel audio card.  With Jack Audio connection Kit for Windows, you could have for exmple, one fluidsynth sound source connected to one pair, and another to the 2'nd pair, and so on.You could also have more than one Fluidsynth sound source connected to the same audio pair as well.  I have not done this myself, because on that system, I run Hauptwerk Advanced edition, and is sounds absolutely increddible. I have personally experienced that with each additional pair of speakers you add to a VPO, the more realistic it sounds.  It reduces intermodulation distortion as well.  I am however not the expert on this subject.  It really sounds great.
So what I have done with my 5 stereo pairs is broadly as follows:
I tried to spread the 16 foot ranks acros them, so that no 16' ranks will try to use the same pair.  So if there are more than five 15' stops, then I will put the 16' stops that will normaly not be used at the same time, on the same pair.

I follow this through for all the footages on all the divisions. I also make sure thatall the stops of one division do not end up playing on the same pair. So I also 'rotate' the ranks. Let me explain:

If for example I activate Subbas 16 on the pedal, Rohrflute 8 on Swell, Principle 8 on Great, Gedeckt 8 on Choir, they all run on different pairs of speakers.  It is not always possible to avoid simmilar ranks on the same pair of speakers, but at least, you have some controll over how to spread the ranks over the speaker channels that are available.

Re: LAN extension

Aaron Laws
On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the apt description of how you use several audio channels. Is this also how hauptwerk does it?

I have been using computer speakers (maybe like https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--n_K7uRUC--/yvyjyekfryayxc95yzej.jpg but much cheaper! Purchased from Craigslist), which are pretty bad, but I could hear the organ. I just upgraded the audio yesterday to something of my own design:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QUZHXW/ two channels active crossover
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000230LC2/ two of these in homemade boxes: 6-inch 3-channel midrange speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9TSW1I/ two of these in homemade boxes: 10" subwoofers

My motherboard provides two channels which go to the active crossover. This is split into two channels per input channel: left high, left low, right high, right high. These four (still low-power) channels are routed to the 4-channel amplifier then to the loud speakers. They're really loud. I'm most happy with this loudspeaker configuration because of the price and modularity. If my amplifier fails, no problem $35 no tears. Etc.

I'm unhappy with it because the server power supply has two very loud fans :-(

Re: LAN extension

BrianS
Aaron,

So we seem to be suing the same methodology.

In my setup, I have one 18 inch subwoofer and two 6X9 inch full range speakers.

In my speaker cabinets, I have four full range speakers, and two 12 inch subwoofers, this is per cabinet.

All my full range speakers are 3 way speakers.  I have alread managed to blow one tweeter so have had to replace one so far.  But this rarely happens. I think it was just a dud to begin with.

Then to contoll this lot, I use similar HP server PSU's.  Mine are 1000 Watt each. One of them has an extremely noisy fan when it starts up, but after about 30 seconds, it does go quiet.

I also use a Yamaha Active Subwoofer.  So I have 5 stereo pairs.  One Sub woofer channel is shared between 2 sets of stereo channels, and the remaining 3 sets of stereo channels, have their own subwoofer channel.

I use three Mariola 4 channel amplifiers, as well as 2 Velleman kit amplifiers.

For the cross-over, I also use parametric equalisers, one for each stereo pair.

My audio card only has 8 analogue outputs, and one digital output.  So in order to use the last pair of digital outputs, I use a digital to analogue converter.  It works well, and the sound ROCKS!

The way Hauptwerk does the channel assignment is very interesting and very dyamic.

I would rather not discuss that here, as other people on the forum say it is off topic for jOrgan, and I suppose they are right.

Re: LAN extension

Aaron Laws
On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

So you use 12v dc equipment? The mariola 4-channel amplifier is a "marine" unit, right? I thought I was the only one :-) Your equalizer is also "active" (working with low-voltage inputs)?

Re: LAN extension

BrianS
I think the Mariola is just a car audio amplifier.  So I guess most people will frown at us Aaron, for using it.  It is however the best that I can do.  I had Velleman amplifiers built, for 8 channels.  But unfortunately 2 of the amps and PSU's never worked, the guy that built them for me, was not interested any more, so when I put them on, it was just smoke and a bad smell.  It was about $300 wasted.

I will send you photo's of my amplifier and parametric equalisers that I use.  Again, I use what I can get hold of and afford.

Stringing together multiple computers (was: LAN extension)

Paul Kealy
John,

I am extremely interested as well. Maybe there is hope yet.

I was on the verge of dumping my organ projects altogether, but decided to get back into it after 2 years inaction, using jOrgan architecture just as the whole thing jOrgan thing fell apart.

I was driven by the jOrgan claim to create personalized organ with their specific screens to create my ow design on dual touch screens for my 4-manual orchestral organs in my museum project.

If I could daisy-chain multiple computers together it would solve a ton of problems, so I trust this thread may help me accomplish my desired goal (I have a half dozen XP and Win 7 computers ready to serve - once they worked well to power 20 separate organ speaker cabs).

pk
StentorVox.com
Monday, March 6, 2017 9:14 PM John Reimer wrote:

BrianS wrote
<snip>
> The right stuff seems to already be installed, because I do manage to get
> a note playing on computer number 2, when I click the switch on computer
> number 1 in the Lan example disposition.
Brian,
I know next to nothing about using the LAN provision for jOrgan, but I have
a vested interest in this, as I do plan to use two computers along the lines
of what you are attempting. However, because of other jOrgan priorities, that
is still somewhat down the track for me.
<snip>

Re: LAN extension

Hi Brian

I am sorry I only have time for a short response.

Stops are able to be activated and deactivated using note on note off signals.

On 8 Mar. 2017 3:26 am, "BrianS" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the Mariola is just a car audio amplifier.  So I guess most people
will frown at us Aaron, for using it.  It is however the best that I can do.
I had Velleman amplifiers built, for 8 channels.  But unfortunately 2 of the
amps and PSU's never worked, the guy that built them for me, was not
interested any more, so when I put them on, it was just smoke and a bad
smell.  It was about $300 wasted.

I will send you photo's of my amplifier and parametric equalisers that I
use.  Again, I use what I can get hold of and afford.

Re: LAN extension

BrianS
HI everybody,

I have great news this morning.

On my own and with my limited knowledge of jOrgan, I was only able to send note on and note off messages from one computer to the next, all via jOrgan of course. So On computer 'Main' I could play into jOrgan, and it in turn would pass my note on and note off messages via the LAN extension, to the 'Sub' computer, also running jOrgan.  I could not engage or disengage any stops.  But I could at least play a tune.

So Graham Goode stepped in and not only taught me how to do it, but made a small example for me.  He is an absolute GENIUS.  Thank you very much Graham.  I have to say Graham, you have made a tremendous impact in the VPO world, and would be hard to ever replace, and I am very thankful for your help through the years.

So I now have a working disposition, that is split over Two Raspberry Pi's, and I can control the entire organ from just one Pi, the "Main".

With my new knowledge, it would now be easy to add more Pi's, as was my intention right from the start.  This is more than a dream come true for me.  I've been wanting to do this for years, my very first plan drawn up for my console would have consisted of four Intel Quad Core computers, but, that would have been a nightmare to maintain, with hard disks, cpu cooling (an Intel computer as you know produces a LOT of heat).  The raspberry Pi is so small, you could actually build one right into your AGO pedal board, if you use one.  So I am now going to chain four Raspberry PI's, and use it as one VPO.  I am looking forward to this next chapter.

I will share my split disposition with the comunity, but I first have to read the license, and see if I am allowed to do so.

Re: LAN extension

Paul Kealy
Brian, I'll stand and sing the Hallelujah Chorus for your workable solution solved!

One question as I have decided, to get back into developing my jOrgan:

I must record my performance as MID files, something the MidIizer 260 enables at the touch of a button for replaying from that set of 20 ranks on three manuals.

Do you see a way this could be accomplished on your setup or would the daisy-chained, MIDI thru, or whatever, be limited from crossing into multiple computer engines?

pk
MediaExcellence.com

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:54 PM BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

I have great news this morning. ...

On my own and with my limited knowledge of jOrgan, I was only able to send
note on and note off messages from one computer to the next, all via jOrgan
of course. So On computer 'Main' I could play into jOrgan, and it in turn
would pass my note on and note off messages via the LAN extension, to the
'Sub' computer, also running jOrgan.  ...

<snip>

Re: LAN extension

BrianS
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your praise, but I do not deserve it at all.  All credit and praise is due to our great jOrgan friend, Graham Goode.Only with his patience and guidance, was I able to get anything done.

I believe, that anything that can be accomplished on a disposition running on a single computer, can be implemented on a disposition that is distributed on more than one computer - be it a Raspberry Pi (like in my case) or Intel based computer.

I will be creating an extremely detailed tutorial, on how to create such a distributed disposition.  Once I get my head around it, it seems so much easier than what it did just 2 days ago, when I was so disheartened, and almost ready to abandon the project altogether.

I will provide a block diagram, with detail in each disposition, and in fact, I will provide each disposition as well.  I just need the disposition creator's permission to distribute it completely with my tutorial.  The tutorial will be loaded on the jOrgan Wiki.

So you had better start doing voice training, I would like to hear your version of the Hallelujah Chorus (one of my favourite pieces of music, ever).  :)

Regards (and Roy, I am having huge amounts of fun at the moment.)

12