Quantcast

LAN extension question

12
al

LAN extension question

al
Sven or anyone else,

What is the function of "jOrgan Lan 1-?" when in a generic soundfont one chooses that as output?  Where does the LAN 1-? get connected to anything to transmit?

Al
al

Re: LAN extension question

al
to elaborate more, I have 2 computers, 1 set to send 1 lan instance, one set to rx 1 lan .  each time i open jOrgan on the real organ it crashes, even giving me the blue screen or just freezes.  without LAN utilized, jOrgan works just fine.  This is version 3.14 on both machines.

Al

Re: LAN extension question

lwalls
Al,

The jOrgan LAN feature and the non-jOrgan software products known as: "ipMIDI" and
"multimidicast", all use the Ethernet protocol known as broadcast UDP (or multicast UDP,
or UDP multicast datagrams).  When you specify your jOrgan Generic Sound element's OUTPUT
port as LAN-1, jOrgan will BROADCAST all the MIDI data going to LAN-1 into your LAN on
port 1.  It doesn't care what computer or software, if any, is listening.  It's like a
radio station broadcasts it program out into the airways, and it doesn't care who or how
many radios are listening.  This LAN broadcast UDP protocol is said to be
"subscriptionless".   This is in contrast to most of what transpires on the internet,
which is known as TCP or TCP/IP.  TCP is a "subscription" connection in that the sender
knows specifically who/what address it is sending to  -- much like a telephone connection
-- one specific sender connected to one specific receiver via a private connection.

Thus when your jOrgan Generic Sound element sends to the LAN using the name LAN-1, it does
NOT establish a "private connection" per se with another jOrgan or multimidicast software
or ipMIDI software on another computer.  It just sends the data out on port 1 like a radio
station broadcasts music into the air on frequency 98.3 MHz.

And just like you turn on your radio and tune it to a specific station and listen to the
music, you can set up another computer on your LAN with its own separate copy of jOrgan
that specifies an INPUT port number designating the SAME jOrgan LAN port number as the
port being used by the sending jOrgan.  The second computer's jOrgan will then
automatically RECEIVE the broadcast MIDI messages SENT out into the LAN by the jOrgan on
the first computer.  The CONNECTION is made (like tuning the radio) by making sure that
the LAN extension port numbers used by both the sender and the receiver are the same.
(LAN-1 sender's data is received on the receiver's LAN-1 port; LAN-2 to LAN-2 and so on...)

Interestingly, the receiving software does NOT have to be a second copy of jOrgan.  The
MIDI data sent by jOrgan on the first computer may received by the second computer (or ANY
number of computers on the LAN) using other software like multimidicast or ipMIDI.  The
only constraint begin that the receiving software must be configured (or "tuned" like the
radio) to the same port number that the sending software is using.  (lowest port number of
sender to lowest port number of receiver; 2nd lowest port number of sender to 2nd lowest
port number of receiver; and so on...)

The reason that I don't say port 1 to port 1 and port 2 to port 2 specifically is because
some software products number their ports starting at 1, 2, 3, 4, ... and some software
products number their ports starting a 0, 1, 2, 3, ...  So what is important is to
remember to configure first port to first port, second port to second port, and so on,
regardless of how the port numbers are designated by the respective software packages.

CLW

On 1/21/2012 7:04 PM, al wrote:

> Sven or anyone else,
>
> What is the function of "jOrgan Lan 1-?" when in a generic soundfont one
> chooses that as output?  Where does the LAN 1-? get connected to anything to
> transmit?
>
> Al

al

Re: LAN extension question

al
Dear Lynn,

Thankyou for this info.  I finally figured out through much wasted time with ipmidi etc that I should simply be able to do what you describe below with 2 instances of jOrgan.

What I found out eventually through trouble shooting is that the actual real jOrgan computer, (the real organ), must have an issue.  I found this out as before i discovered and was informed of what the purpose of jOrgan LAN was and how to use it, i was using ipmidi linked to midiyoke.  The recieving computer, (the real organ), kept going to blue screen.

  Then I somehow must have woke up and started playing with jOrgan LAN after un-installing ipmidi.  so now, the scenario was jOrgan Lan TX on Laptop, 1 TX only, and jOrgan LAN RX, 1 instance on real Organ.  Still got system freeze and or blue screen of death.

I decided something must be wrong with the Organ Computer so I've reformatted and started over with the opperating system on the organ machine.  The laptop never failed so it's got to be something going on with the organ pc.  I admit there were a lot of things on the organ pc that could have caused an issue.  Since the move, little time to do a clean up.

  So now the OS is a fresh install.  Will install jOrgan tommorrow on the real organ pc and start again.

Thanks for the very clear explanation of the LAN function.  Will keep you updated.

On 1/21/2012 7:04 PM, al wrote:

> Sven or anyone else,
>
> What is the function of "jOrgan Lan 1-?" when in a generic soundfont one
> chooses that as output?  Where does the LAN 1-? get connected to anything to
> transmit?
>
> Al

al

Re: LAN extension question

al
Well, another experiment down the tubes....  Re-installed windows XP on Organ, and tried just jOrgan LAN 1 in on organ computer whilst laptop was transmitting Lan 1 on laptop.

Organ computer immediately went to blue screen crashing.

(help)....

Al

On 1/21/2012 7:04 PM, al wrote:

> Sven or anyone else,
>
> What is the function of "jOrgan Lan 1-?" when in a generic soundfont one
> chooses that as output?  Where does the LAN 1-? get connected to anything to
> transmit?
>
> Al

Re: LAN extension question

lwalls
Well, Al, I don't know what to say!  The LAN extension works fine on all my Widows/XP
computers.  Maybe your computer that crashes just doesn't have network hardware or network
driver software that is robust enough to handle the broadcast UDP protocol used by the LAN
extension.  After all, UDP is never used in the internet -- only on local LANS -- because
of it's "broadcast" nature.  So maybe your computer manufacturer figured it could save
money and cut corners on UDP support for its network hardware/software.

One thing to check is for any firewall restrictions on UDP.  Or "privileges" that must be
granted to software that uses the UDP protocol.  But such restrictions should only result
in error messages or failure to communicate -- not the blue screen...So I'm back to lame
network hardware or drivers.

Do you have ANOTHER computer that you could use instead of the one that crashes?

CLW

On 1/21/2012 11:10 PM, Al Schroer wrote:

> Well, another experiment down the tubes.... Re-installed windows XP on Organ, and tried
> just jOrgan LAN 1 in on organ computer whilst laptop was transmitting Lan 1 on laptop.
> Organ computer immediately went to blue screen crashing.
> (help)....
> Al

al

Re: LAN extension question

al

Going to do experiment with another machine tomorrow.
Also I am not ruling out the possibility that either the midisport USB or the USB port the pipes are connected to are causing the problem.  Will keep you updated.

Al

------------------------------
On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 12:24 AM EST Lynn Walls wrote:

>Well, Al, I don't know what to say!  The LAN extension works fine on all my Widows/XP
>computers.  Maybe your computer that crashes just doesn't have network hardware or network
>driver software that is robust enough to handle the broadcast UDP protocol used by the LAN
>extension.  After all, UDP is never used in the internet -- only on local LANS -- because
>of it's "broadcast" nature.  So maybe your computer manufacturer figured it could save
>money and cut corners on UDP support for its network hardware/software.
>
>One thing to check is for any firewall restrictions on UDP.  Or "privileges" that must be
>granted to software that uses the UDP protocol.  But such restrictions should only result
>in error messages or failure to communicate -- not the blue screen...So I'm back to lame
>network hardware or drivers.
>
>Do you have ANOTHER computer that you could use instead of the one that crashes?
>
>CLW
>
>On 1/21/2012 11:10 PM, Al Schroer wrote:
>> Well, another experiment down the tubes.... Re-installed windows XP on Organ, and tried
>> just jOrgan LAN 1 in on organ computer whilst laptop was transmitting Lan 1 on laptop.
>> Organ computer immediately went to blue screen crashing.
>> (help)....
>> Al

   Very interesting post, Lynn, thanks for putting it together.   :) happy

     I've never had much success linking computers together, mainly because I don't really know WTF I'm doing with LAN stuff!     :)) laughing

    I seem to remember something about 1-1 leads and X-over leads somewhere???

On 1/21/2012 7:04 PM, al wrote:

> Sven or anyone else,
>
> What is the function of "jOrgan Lan 1-?" when in a generic soundfont one
> chooses that as output?  Where does the LAN 1-? get connected to anything to
> transmit?
>
> Al

al

Re: LAN extension question

al
yes, very well explained here.  Now if I can only figure out why jOrgan 3.14 keeps locking up the computer any time i try to use the LAN extension.  The sending computer works fine.

TX computer is running windows 7  sending wirelessly to Belkin Router

RX computer running fresh install of WinXP, also wireless

I may have to make up a network cable and try it wired...

I don't think the Router's firewall has anything to do with it as both computers are inside firewall and i've tried it with firewall disabled, same results.  I've only had it working once for about 5 minutes but that was with ipmidi which i understand now, in my scenario, (jOrgan to jOrgan), I do not need.

Al

On 1/21/2012 7:04 PM, al wrote:
> Sven or anyone else,
>
> What is the function of "jOrgan Lan 1-?" when in a generic soundfont one
> chooses that as output?  Where does the LAN 1-? get connected to anything to
> transmit?
>
> Al

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Out of curiosity could you give us more detail of the blue screen. As well what kind of network cable are you using straight or crossover?

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

al

Re: LAN extension question

al
It's wireless and it does not matter at this point.  Turns out the computer has issues itself.  Some piece of hardware is failing as the system hangs just trying to do windows update.

I'm working on figuring out what the culprit is now.

On 1/21/2012 7:04 PM, al wrote:
> Sven or anyone else,
>
> What is the function of "jOrgan Lan 1-?" when in a generic soundfont one
> chooses that as output?  Where does the LAN 1-? get connected to anything to
> transmit?
>
> Al

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Out of curiosity could you give us more detail of the blue screen. As well what kind of network cable are you using straight or crossover?

Regards
Jonathan Aquilina

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

If you want to rule out the ram download memtest86 and run that for a few hours to see if any errors show up with the ram. If that is fine then something on the motherboard is most likely failing.

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

al

Re: LAN extension question

al
will do.  Failed right in middle of huge windows update.  now it locks up constantly.  I've openned up the organ and disconnected everything from the pc.  now trying to rebuild XP.

I'm wondering if i even need all of the updates...?  jOrgan should run just fine on stock system i would think.

On 1/21/2012 7:04 PM, al wrote:
> Sven or anyone else,
>
> What is the function of "jOrgan Lan 1-?" when in a generic soundfont one
> chooses that as output?  Where does the LAN 1-? get connected to anything to
> transmit?
>
> Al

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Out of curiosity could you give us more detail of the blue screen. As well what kind of network cable are you using straight or crossover?

Regards
Jonathan Aquilina

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

If you want to rule out the ram download memtest86 and run that for a few hours to see if any errors show up with the ram. If that is fine then something on the motherboard is most likely failing.

Regards
Jonathan Aquilina

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Those are more security updates. Another thing you can try is Graham's puppy see if you encounter the same issues with puppy.

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

al

Re: LAN extension question

al
Can't do puppy on this machine. Too many USB midi devices pulling and fowarding midi data to run the pipes and console that puppy does not like...
Al

al

Re: LAN extension question

al
Found problem....  looks like hard drive is kickin bucket....

On 22/01/2012 18:20, Al Schroer wrote:
Can't do puppy on this machine. Too many USB midi devices pulling and fowarding midi data to run the pipes and console that puppy does not like...
Al

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Gotcha well if you need any more hardware troubleshooting ideas let me know :) I have a very good one if memtest86 doesnt turn up any errors with ram try one stick of ram in one ram socket then the other it could be that the motherboard might be failing at the ram sockets or slowly at the bios level. That happened to me and eventually the entire board would fail to boot :( I really miss that board.

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: LAN extension question

eagles051387
On 22/01/2012 18:22, Al Schroer wrote:
Found problem....  looks like hard drive is kickin bucket....

Al

Can't do puppy on this machine. Too many USB midi devices pulling and fowarding midi data to run the pipes and console that puppy does not like...
Al

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Glad you got to the root cause. Since there was all this flooding in thiland prices of normal hard disks has shot up to where solid state drives are only 20 dollars cheaper right now then a normal drive. I would weigh the cost difference and possibly buy a small 60 or 80gb solid state drive.

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

al

Re: LAN extension question

al
I found a HUGE issue with the restore program that came with PC....  I've been having heaps of trouble last 2 days with extended boot and really long hard drive scans...

I just took the puppy cd, botted, used gparted and wiped the partion and created new.

Yesterday before i did this, the first attempt to re-install XP took forever "formatting" the drive.  I just started install again and it took right off.

Aparently, the format portion of the install cd program is not doing what it is supposed to.

Gee, Maybe by the end of the day, I might once again be able to try out jOrgan LAN....

I'm glad this happenned anyway as there was WAY too much stuff on this PC.  It's supposed to be a dedicated system.  I'm going to give the XP install 1 more try.  If i still have issues, I might try puppy as when i booted the cd it immediately found audio and network so that's cool.  I know we now have drivers for midisport as well.  My concern is the automatic naming bit with USB devices but i understand there is a workaround for that too.

Let's see what happens with the XP system first.

Al

Re: LAN extension question

99% of the updates are for "security" reasons so only really needed if
you are exposing the computer to the internet.

On 23/01/2012 2:45 a, Al Schroer wrote:
> I'm wondering if i even need all of the updates...?  jOrgan should run
> just fine on stock system i would think.
> Al

12