Jorgan memory level display

martin wainwright
This post was updated on .
Hello all,

Does anybody know if there is a way to display what memory level is currently selected if the system is being run headless, i.e. without a computer monitor.

Or if this is not possible, is there a way to select a specific memory level from the console, for instance with a rotary switch?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :-)

Kindest regards, Martin
Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

RoyR
Hi, Martin,

                 I have given some thought to this in the past because I have some vague plans to do something similar. Please note this is all armchair theorising, I haven't tried it yet.

    The basic problem is you can only increment or decrement the memory level, not set it to an absolute value. I have noticed that if you decrement below zero, it doesn't wrap around from the top again, just sticks at zero. This could offer a possible, but messy, solution.

    Create an incrementer with a negative value larger than the total number of memory levels. This will set the memory to zero, THEN send another message to set the required level. This means the controller will have to be programmed to activate first the big negative incrementer then a selection of incrementers from, say, a 1, 2, 5 set to give the required total. As I said, it's messy!

    A less absurd method might be to persuade Sven to provide a function which let's a suitable MIDI message set the memory to an absolute value. I'm a bit out of touch with the latest versions so apologies if such a system already exists!

-----
Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

with a suitable style (e.g. 'memory' style in the classic skin), a
Memory element can display the current level and its name.

IIRC it should be possible to control each Memory element with a Midi
message, see

     http://jorgan.argonon.de/mediawiki-1.22.6/index.php?title=Memory

Have fun
Sven

On 20.04.2015 21:02, Roy Radford wrote:

> Hi, Martin,
>
>                  I have given some thought to this in the past because
> I have some vague plans to do something similar. Please note this is
> all armchair theorising, I haven't tried it yet.
>
>     The basic problem is you can only increment or decrement the
> memory level, not set it to an absolute value. I have noticed that if
> you decrement below zero, it doesn't wrap around from the top again,
> just sticks at zero. This could offer a possible, but messy, solution.
>
>     Create an incrementer with a negative value larger than the total
> number of memory levels. This will set the memory to zero, THEN send
> another message to set the required level. This means the controller
> will have to be programmed to activate first the big negative
> incrementer then a selection of incrementers from, say, a 1, 2, 5 set
> to give the required total. As I said, it's messy!
>
>     A less absurd method might be to persuade Sven to provide a
> function which let's a suitable MIDI message set the memory to an
> absolute value. I'm a bit out of touch with the latest versions so
> apologies if such a system already exists!
>

>       Have fun,
>
>            Roy.
>

> On 20 April 2015 at 19:09, martin wainwright <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     Does anybody know if there is a way to display what memory level is
>     currently selected if the system is being run headless, i.e. without a
>     computer monitor.
>
>     Or if this is not possible, is there a way to select a specific
>     memory level
>     from the console, for instance with a rotary switch?
>
>     Thanks in advance for any replies! :-)
>
>     Kindest regards, Martin
>

>     -----
>     Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry
>     --

>     BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
>     Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
>     Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live
>     exercises
>     http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual-
>     event?utm_
>     source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF

> Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises
> http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual- event?utm_

Re: Morgan memory level display

RoyR
Hi, Sven,

                Thanks for your reply. I followed the link but, so far as I can see, it confirms my remark that you can only increase or decrease the index, not set it to an absolute value. Am I missing something here?

On 20 April 2015 at 20:09, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

> [...]

>     memory level
>     from the console, for instance with a rotary switch?
>
>     Thanks in advance for any replies! :-)
>
>     Kindest regards, Martin
>

>     -----
>     Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry
>     --
>
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
>     Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
>     Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live
>     exercises
>     http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual-
>     event?utm_
>     source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF

> Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises

Thanks for your replies Roy and Sven,

I wonder Sven, would it be possible to output the memory level display to something like a numerical segment display, or maybe a small LCD display? If not, is it possible to select and activate a specific memory level using a button, for example having 10 physical buttons on the console to access 10 memory levels?

Interesting idea Roy, even if you had a button to reset the memory level to 0 then count up the increments.

Kindest regards, martin
Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

RoyR
Hi, Martin,

                As I said, this is all armchair theorising. I use a Midiboutique scanner to scan my pedals and pistons. The unit can be programmed to send up to, I think, 32 bytes of code for each switch element. I presume it could scan 10 buttons and, in each case, send first the message to set zero via the negative incrementer, then activate the required group of incrementers for that particular button.

On 20 April 2015 at 21:18, martin wainwright <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your replies Roy and Sven,

I wonder Sven, would it be possible to output the memory level display to
something like a numerical segment display, or maybe a small LCD display? If
not, is it possible to select and activate a specific memory level using a
button, for example having 10 physical buttons on the console to access 10
memory levels?

Interesting idea Roy, even if you had a button to reset the memory level to
0 then count up the increments.

Kindest regards, martin

-----
Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

lwalls
Martin,

I don't know anything about external displays, but a Memory element may indeed be
controlled explicitly by a multi-position rotary switch.  In my case, I have a 12-position
switch and a MIDI encoder that generates a cc (176) message for each position selected. I
arbitrarily use controller number 17.  So when I rotate the switch from position 1 to
position 3, for example, two MIDI messages are generated by the encoder:
   (176, 17, 2)  [ ...as the switch moves through position 2]
   (176, 17, 3)  [ ...as the switch moves to position 3]

Likewise for any other movement of the switch... all intermediate positions through which
the switch is rotated will cause a respective MIDI message to be generated.  But, of
course, only the LAST position where the switch rotation stops is significant.

To configure the jOrgan Memroy element, simply add the appropriate "Change" message to the
element.  In my case the controller number is 17, and the MIDI channel is 13 (in the 0-15
enumeration).  176 + 13 = 189, so my change message is:
   Change  189,17,sub 1 | div 13 | get value

That business above of subtracting 1 from the data2 value and dividing it by 13 is needed
in order to normalize the controller values ranging from 1 through 12 into the range of
0.0 through 1.0, which is what the Memory element configured with a Size property of 13
will expect.

In general, the Memory element's Size property should be 1 more than the number of
positions on the rotary switch, and this same value should be used as the division in the
Memory element's Size property.

CLW

On 4/20/2015 2:09 PM, martin wainwright wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Does anybody know if there is a way to display what memory level is
> currently selected if the system is being run headless, i.e. without a
> computer monitor.
>
> Or if this is not possible, is there a way to select a specific memory level
> from the console, for instance with a rotary switch?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies! :-)
>
> Kindest regards, Martin
>

> -----
> Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

RoyR
Thanks, Lynn, definitely one to file for future reference and glad it doesn't have to be as clunky as I suggested. You learn something new every day!

On 22 April 2015 at 02:28, Lynn Walls <[hidden email]> wrote:
Martin,

I don't know anything about external displays, but a Memory element may indeed be
controlled explicitly by a multi-position rotary switch.  In my case, I have a 12-position
switch and a MIDI encoder that generates a cc (176) message for each position selected. I
arbitrarily use controller number 17.  So when I rotate the switch from position 1 to
position 3, for example, two MIDI messages are generated by the encoder:
   (176, 17, 2)  [ ...as the switch moves through position 2]
   (176, 17, 3)  [ ...as the switch moves to position 3]

Likewise for any other movement of the switch... all intermediate positions through which
the switch is rotated will cause a respective MIDI message to be generated.  But, of
course, only the LAST position where the switch rotation stops is significant.

To configure the jOrgan Memroy element, simply add the appropriate "Change" message to the
element.  In my case the controller number is 17, and the MIDI channel is 13 (in the 0-15
enumeration).  176 + 13 = 189, so my change message is:
   Change  189,17,sub 1 | div 13 | get value

That business above of subtracting 1 from the data2 value and dividing it by 13 is needed
in order to normalize the controller values ranging from 1 through 12 into the range of
0.0 through 1.0, which is what the Memory element configured with a Size property of 13
will expect.

In general, the Memory element's Size property should be 1 more than the number of
positions on the rotary switch, and this same value should be used as the division in the
Memory element's Size property.

CLW

On 4/20/2015 2:09 PM, martin wainwright wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anybody know if there is a way to display what memory level is
> currently selected if the system is being run headless, i.e. without a
> computer monitor.
>
> Or if this is not possible, is there a way to select a specific memory level
> from the console, for instance with a rotary switch?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies! :-)
>
> Kindest regards, Martin
>

> -----
> Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

lwalls
One correction to my previous posting...
I omitted the "set" commands from the status and data1 segments of the MIDI message.  It
should have been:

     Change  set 189, set 17, sub 1 | div 13 | get value

CLW

On 4/22/2015 4:05 AM, Roy Radford wrote:

> [...]
>      > --
>     http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/Morgan-memory-level-display-tp4662162.html
>      > Sent from the jOrgan - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>      >
>      > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>      > BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
>      > Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
>      > Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises
>      > http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual- event?utm_
>      > source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF
>      > jOrgan-user mailing list
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
>      >

> Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your reply, that's just what I was looking for!

Just to clarify, do you use a stepped potentiometer or a rotary switch with independent contacts to generate your control change messages? My encoder only generates cc7 and note on/off messages, but I should be able to convert this in the midi ox utility to cc messages hopefully.

Kindest regards,

Martin
Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

lwalls
I have a 12-position discrete contacts rotary switch.  But a continuously variable
potentiometer that the encoder would scale into CC 7 values from 0 to 127 ( n(i) through
n(f), [where n(i) could be greater than zero and n(f) could be less than 127] would work
just as well. You would simply create the appropriate arithmetic in the "Change" command
to scale the incoming cc7 values from n(i) through n(f) into the normalized range of 0.0
through 1.0.  The only problem with the pot might be that knowing exactly which integer
memory level value was being selected (computed) might be more difficult to discern by
feel or by eye...in which case the LED/LCD display might then be of some value.

Incidentally, a sequence of Note-On or Note-Off messages with each discrete position being
identified by a unique note number (or even velocity value) could also be used to drive an
appropriately configured "Change" message for the Memory element.  You likely would not
even need MIDI-Ox to make the translation -- just the appropriate jOrgan "arithemtic" in
the "Change" message.

CLW

On 4/22/2015 11:25 AM, martin wainwright wrote:

> Hi Lynn,
>
> Thanks for your reply, that's just what I was looking for!
>
> Just to clarify, do you use a stepped potentiometer or a rotary switch with
> independent contacts to generate your control change messages? My encoder
> only generates cc7 and note on/off messages, but I should be able to convert
> this in the midi ox utility to cc messages hopefully.
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Martin
>

> -----
> Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

martin wainwright
Hi lynn,

Thanks once again for you reply,  your knowledge of jorgan seriously surpasses mine!

It certainly seems that a rotary switch with independant contacts is the way to go. That's very good news I should be able to configure note on/off messages to control the memory elements, saves having to have a separate encoder just for the switch.

Do you by any chance know what the change message would need to consist of in order to select memory levels using note-on protocol?

Kindest regards,

Martin
Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

lwalls
Tell me what MIDI channel (0-15) and what note number would be sent for the first switch
position.  Then, the same for the next position, and finally for the LAST position.
Hopefully the note number transmitted for each successive position of the switch would
increment by one.

Or, if using velocity as the switch position discriminator: what MIDI channel and Note
number, and then what Velocity value would be sent for each successive switch position?

CLW

On 4/22/2015 5:02 PM, martin wainwright wrote:

> Hi lynn,
>
> Thanks once again for you reply,  your knowledge of jorgan seriously
> surpasses mine!
>
> It certainly seems that a rotary switch with independant contacts is the way
> to go. That's very good news I should be able to configure note on/off
> messages to control the memory elements, saves having to have a separate
> encoder just for the switch.
>
> Do you by any chance know what the change message would need to consist of
> in order to select memory levels using note-on protocol?
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Martin
>

> -----
> Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

martin wainwright
Hi Lynn,

If I were to use the start of the stops controller, which would be midi channel 5 notes 36 to 47 for a twelve-position  controller?

Kindest regards, martin
Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

lwalls
For the MIDI output you describe, set the Memory element's Size property to 13, and
configure its "Change" message as:

   Change   set 149, sub 36 | div 13 | get value, greater 0

CLW

On 4/23/2015 1:01 PM, martin wainwright wrote:

> Hi Lynn,
>
> If I were to use the start of the stops controller, which would be midi
> channel 5 notes 36 to 47 for a twelve-position  controller?
>
> Kindest regards, martin
>

> -----
> Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

martin wainwright
Hi Lynn,

That's perfect, thank you so much for your help. I'll have a play with it over the weekend and see if I can make it work.

One last question if I may, if I needed to change the midi channel, how would that affect the "set 149" command?

Kindest regards,

Martin
Compton A196, ex-Empire/ABC, Coventry

Re: Morgan memory level display

lwalls
That number is just the Note-On command (144) plus the channel number (5), numbering
channels from 0 through 15, of course.

CLW