Jorgan improvements

Aaron Laws
Is it possible to make reference to stops as a group?

I wanted to look into the jeux 1.4 soundfont, but it has been *very* tiresome to set up a disposition for it. I want all the stops available to great, swell, and pedal. Perhaps some couplers: great to pedal, swell to pedal, swell to great. A recorder element, memory, reverb...just normal stuff here. Every time I want to do anything, I find myself having to select each and every stop for one of the keyboards.

If I could group all the stops for, e.g., the great and make reference to them when I do a coupler, recording element, etc. that would be MUCH better. I'm really hoping this functionality already exists :-)

Thanks!

Re: Jorgan improvements

Hi Aaron,

Being busy with my disposition development at the moment, the answer is 'not to my knowledge' - BUT:

If you select the element that you would like all of the stops to reference to, then  you can, because all the stops will be grouped together in this dialogue box.

So instead of selecting each stop individually and making a reference to something, you could instead select that something, and make a reference from the stops, they are all grouped together.

I hope this makes sense.

Re: Jorgan improvements

BrianS
So you could for example create 3 groups for stops: one for each division.  So when you make a reference as I indicated above, you will find it so much easier to spot them in the dialogue box, as each stop will be appended with the name of the group it belongs to.

Re: Jorgan improvements

BrianS
Jonathan,

Are you planning on further development of jOrgan, adding features, and so on?  I know most feel that nothing can be added, but I disagree.

What plans do you have for the future development of jOrgan, if any?

Regards,

Brian

Re: Jorgan improvements

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:22 AM, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
So you could for example create 3 groups for stops: one for each division.
So when you make a reference as I indicated above, you will find it so much
easier to spot them in the dialogue box, as each stop will be appended with
the name of the group it belongs to.

Right. If all the divisions' stops are at the "root" of the disposition (rather than in a group), it would not be feasible. As it is, it takes more than perhaps 5 minutes to select all the stops for one division, and that's if I'm going quite fast and I don't accidentally click without pressing CTRL (which will lose the selection entirely), etc. This isn't acceptable. Specially because I'm wanting to add more sound fonts! Jeux 1.4 has about 200 stops.

For instance, the next thing I want to do is arrange the stop list on the console so that the flutes are together, the 16's together, the reeds together, etc. Now they're alphabetical...sort of, and different on each console. After I arrange the Great, I would like to click "copy to other console" somewhere :-) I don't want to have to arrange these 200 stops three times... really miserable. It shouldn't be an heroic feat to put in a sound font and start playing; it seems that it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds... Perhaps a disposition wizard is in order?

Re: Jorgan improvements

BrianS
Aaron,

In my perfect world, there should be a disposition wizard, and you should be able to customse it using 'drag and drop, click and connect.

Perhaps one day......

Re: Jorgan improvements

Leisesturm
Rather new here, but this question seems rather forward... maybe even rude? I don't know Johnathan, but I think 1. this post should be its own thread, and 2. needs to be expanded upon i.e. some specific examples of the 'improvements' the writer feels are necessary be provided. As I understand it, open source software is collaborative and 'improvements' come about through collaboration. Kind of a "be the change you want to see" sort of paradigm.

BrianS wrote

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Leisesturm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rather new here, but this question seems rather forward... maybe even rude? I
don't know Johnathan, but I think 1. this post should be its own thread, and
2. needs to be expanded upon i.e. some specific examples of the
'improvements' the writer feels are necessary be provided. As I understand
it, open source software is collaborative and 'improvements' come about
through collaboration. Kind of a "be the change you want to see" sort of
paradigm.

BrianS wrote
> Jonathan,
>
> Are you planning on further development of jOrgan, adding features, and so
> on?  I know most feel that nothing can be added, but I disagree.
>
> What plans do you have for the future development of jOrgan, if any?

Some background here may be helpful. Sven authored jOrgan and took it to a very high pitch of excellence. Within the last year, he took his leave of the software to apply himself to other things. After a while, Jonathan volunteered to take his place, and made a few suggestions for changes in the software, etc. Jonathan has been very quiet in the last few months, though. Hopefully that helps explain things. Even in that context, the post may be a bit forward, to which I can only say that any familiarity I have with Brian is only politeness and kindness and can explain that his intentions are good.

Re: Jorgan improvements

BrianS
Dear Leisesturm,

My intentions are indeed not meant to attack Jonathan, and neither to be rude, in the least.  I also have noticed that Jonathan is very quiet, and I am worried about jOrgan.  I cannot do any programming myself, so I see it as a legitimate question about the future of jOrgan. I am not the first person to ask this.