Quantcast

Jack on Raspberry Pi

I would like to use Jack on Raspberry Pi, because I have more than 1 soundfont that I want to use in my disposition.

Is Jack the only way to to this?

Graham, I have this instruction of  yours: - but it is only for Windows.

http://jorgan-home.de/mediawiki_en/index.php?title=Instructions_on_using_the_Jack_Audio_Connection_Kit_in_Windows

Does anybody have experience using Jack on Raspberry Pi?

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

grahamg
Hi Brian,

See http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspberrypi section: "Using JACK"

You'll have to experiment a bit as Fluidsynth needs to be JACK aware
as well in order for this to work...

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 3/1/17, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use Jack on Raspberry Pi, because I have more than 1
> soundfont that I want to use in my disposition.
>
> Is Jack the only way to to this?
>
> Graham, I have this instruction of  yours: - but it is only for Windows.
>
> http://jorgan-home.de/mediawiki_en/index.php?title=Instructions_on_using_the_Jack_Audio_Connection_Kit_in_Windows
>
> Does anybody have experience using Jack on Raspberry Pi?
>
> Brian.
>

> -----
> Regards,
>
> BrianS

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

BrianS
Thank you Graham.

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

BrianS
Look at this soundcard for the Raspberry Pi - I wonder if you could do multi-channel audio with it?

http://www.audioinjector.net/#!/rpi-octo-hat

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

Aaron Laws
It looks like you have seven channels there...

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 12:29 PM, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Look at this soundcard for the Raspberry Pi - I wonder if you could do
multi-channel audio with it?

http://www.audioinjector.net/#!/rpi-octo-hat

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

BrianS
Hi Aaron,

I think it's going to be 8 channels. "Octo"

This is a very exciting prospect if we can do a jOrgan disposition on the Raspberry Pi, with 8 channels of audio.

My Windows bassed console has 10 channel audio in, and it was really expensive soundcard, about the equivalent of $700.  Expensive for me, that is.

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

BrianS
I hope it is great.

I tried putting 2 identical usb sound-cards onto the Pi, but it does not work - bearing in mind, I do not yet know how to work with Jack in Linux.  I can do multi-channel audio in Windows with Jack, but not yet in Linux.

I have a custom disposition running very reliably on my Pi.  It controls my Yamaha PSR 295 keyboard flawlessly.  To this disposition, I have added a nice GM soundfont.

On the soundfont, there is a slight latency, but really negligible, I can cope with it really easy.

My plans are now to create a 2 Raspberry Pi organ, with 2 Raspberry Pi's, and if it works out nicely, I might expand that to 4 Raspberry Pi's.

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

Chester Berry
Brian,

Thanks for all that you have shared with us about jOrgan on the Raspberry Pi.

It is my understanding that no one has been able to get any of the Raspberry Pi audio cards which connect to the Pi via the 40-pin GPIO interface.  This looks like the same interface the Audio Injector card you mentioned would use.

Do you have any reason to believe that the Audio Injector card will work with jOrgan?
If so, could you elaborate on this?

Is there any chance that the reason jOrgan is not working with the GPIO-connected cards is that we need to use Jack to facilitate this?  Is this an area we should be exploring?  Is Jack included in the download now available from Ray?

The eight-channel card does not appear to be available yet, but a two-channel in/two-channel out card is.  Perhaps it would make a reasonable interim solution.

To everyone who is posting on this:  MANY THANKS!
This seems to me to be one of the most important developments for jOrgan's continued use, as it makes jOrgan available on an even more economical platform.

Best wishes to all!
/s/Chester H Berry
Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

rdudevoir

I have tried on several occasion to configure a Digital Audio Card (40 pin GPIO) to output audio for jOrgan with no success.  In the past day new information about Jack has been posted.  In the next week or so I will incorporate this new information and see if I can successfully configure a DAC to jOrgan.  I will report back to the group when I have news.

All the best.

Ray DuDevoir

On 3/1/2017 7:19 PM, Chester Berry wrote:
[...]

Ray --

Thanks for all the help you've proved.
I'll be interested in whatever you can find out about this issue.
It would be REALLY GREAT if we could use any of the audio cards for the Pi with jOrgan.
It's always good to hear from you!
/s/Chester

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

> It is my understanding that no one has been able to get any of the Raspberry
> Pi audio cards which connect to the Pi via the 40-pin GPIO interface.

Any audio device needs a driver. In Linux, the drivers are compiled as
part of the Kernel. So.... if you want to add a device to the
Raspberry Pi you first need to find out if the Linux kernel that
you're running supports it... and how. If it is ALSA supported, then
everything will work as normal. If it requires a custom configuration,
then you need to work with the board's developers to get it working on
your system, and getting Fluidsynth working with it.

If Fluidsynth can use the sound device, then jOrgan>Fluidsynth
dispositions can be configured to work.

JACK is just a connection layer. As far as I am aware, JACK will only
connect to ONE audio device, but you can MERGE audio devices in linux
at the ALSA configuration layer. See
http://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html

Kind regards,

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

BrianS
Thank you Ray and Graham.

That 8-out and 6-in soundcard looks really tempting.  It sits on the GPIO of the Pi.

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

rdudevoir
I can report to the group that I have successfully configured a Raspberry Pi digital audio card  connecting to the Pi via the 40-pin GPIO interface.  I have run several jOrgan dispositions using this card on both a Pi2 and 3.  The sound is very high quality and is comparable to the USB audio adapter that I have been using.

The card used is an Audio Injector digital sound card (no inbuilt microphone) which is available on Amazon for $22.  This card has RCA line out jacks with volume control, line out 3.5mm jack and line in RCA jacks with volume control.  The configuration of the card was very easy using instructions and an installation script provided by the vendor:
http://www.flatmax.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3

I did have an issue related to alsamixer settings.  The following link provides guidance on resolving this issue:
http://www.flatmax.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5

The maker of this digital audio card is also developing Octo Sound Card for the Pi which may give Brian another approach to multi-channel capabilities.

All the best,
Ray DuDevoir

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

BrianS
Thank you Ray.

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:06 PM, rdudevoir <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Great work. The subject of your message looks like you're using J.A.C.K., but then you said you had alsamixer trouble. Are you using J.A.C.K. through alsa?

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

rdudevoir

Aaron,

I believe that I am using alsa only.

Ray

On 3/11/2017 8:06 AM, Aaron Laws wrote:
[...]

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

Chester Berry
Ray,

CONGRATULATIONS! on solving this problem.  I had anticipated that the boards attaching to the GPIO interface would give superior audio, and our inability to use them was a major roadblock in implementing jOrgan on the Raspberry Pi line.

Could you provide some details on what you had to do to bypass the problems group members had previously reported?  Is they anything beyond what appeared in this post that must be done?

Incidentally, how large a disposition can be loaded on the Pi?

MANY THANKS for sharing your work with us!
/s/Chester H Berry
Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

rdudevoir
Thanks Chester!

I agree the sound card with the GPIO interface should provide superior sound. I currently run a similar card on a Raspberry Pi as a digital audio player (Moode Audio) on a high end stereo and the sound is outstanding.

As for bypassing the problem it is a matter of invoking  the alsa mixer and then changing the settings as outlined in the post.

I use Paul Stratman’s American Classical Organ disposition for two manuals and pedals.  I have also used John Reimer's Little Bay disposition and it also works nicely.

Lastly, if you are going to give the Raspberry Pi a try I suggest using the Pi 3 because of the additional processing power.

All the best!

Ray DuDevoir

On 3/11/2017 2:49 PM, Chester Berry wrote:
Ray,

CONGRATULATIONS! on solving this problem.  I had anticipated that the boards attaching to the GPIO interface would give superior audio, and our inability to use them was a major roadblock in implementing jOrgan on the Raspberry Pi line.

Could you provide some details on what you had to do to bypass the problems group members had previously reported?  Is they anything beyond what appeared in this post that must be done?

Incidentally, how large a disposition can be loaded on the Pi?

MANY THANKS for sharing your work with us!
/s/Chester H Berry
Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA

Re: Jack on Raspberry Pi

Chester Berry
OK!  Thanks for the quick response.
I had wondered if the problem with jOrgan not working (but other audio programs apparently working OK!) didn't point to something like that.
I'll probably start with the Raspberry Pi 2 that I bought before the 3 was announced.

Has anyone gotten jOrgan to run on a Pi Zero?  One of the posters to this Group has mentioned difficulties.
Thanks again for all you've contributed!