Investigating the Raspberry Pi

I have just bought a Raspberry Pi 3+ with a view to investigating its use
for jOrgan, following Brian's success, and Graham's work in providing a
jOrgan download for it. This RPi is very impressive indeed. I think I could
even use it as a Desktop, as I am using an old monitor which belonged to my
old Windows XP desktop. There is no way I would be using it for games or
other high demand usage. Surprisingly, the audio is very good. I haven't yet
noticed any hiss, with a small and cheap powered stereo speaker system
plugged into its audio output socket! All this is using the official SD
micro card which came with it.

So far I have not had success with jOrgan. I downloaded Graham's large
jOrgan file, and there may be something wrong with the download. After
unzipping it using Linux Ubuntu 14.04, Properties tells me that it is 15.09
GB in size (or thereabouts - this is from memory). Graham, is that right? Do
you have a check5sum string for this download?

I tried also to do a standard jOrgan download. I had success with
downloading and installing Java 8 (I had to replace the "6" with "8" in the
jOrgan Wiki command line instructions, along with an update, but neither the
32 bit or the 64 bit version of jOrgan 3.20 would install (using the debian
files). I don't know whether Rasbpian is yet 64 bit, but I suspect that it
is not.

The fact that jOrgan would not install with Java 8 is consistent with our
current problems, but it is difficult to draw too many conclusions.

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

John Reimer wrote
> I think I could
> even use it as a Desktop, as I am using an old monitor which belonged to
> my
> old Windows XP desktop.

I'm afraid not. I would need to use Wine a lot if I wanted to make samples
and soundfonts, and the RPi seems to lack enough RAM to allow that.

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

> So far I have not had success with jOrgan. I downloaded Graham's large
> jOrgan file, and there may be something wrong with the download. After
> unzipping it using Linux Ubuntu 14.04, Properties tells me that it is 15.09
> GB in size (or thereabouts - this is from memory). Graham, is that right?
> Do
> you have a check5sum string for this download?

Both images are compressed using RAR, which has an internal checksum
checking feature. The large image should fit on a 16G SD card, the
smaller image should fit on a 4G SD card.

> I tried also to do a standard jOrgan download. I had success with
> downloading and installing Java 8 (I had to replace the "6" with "8" in the
> jOrgan Wiki command line instructions, along with an update, but neither
> the
> 32 bit or the 64 bit version of jOrgan 3.20 would install (using the debian
> files). I don't know whether Rasbpian is yet 64 bit, but I suspect that it
> is not.
>
> The fact that jOrgan would not install with Java 8 is consistent with our
> current problems, but it is difficult to draw too many conclusions.

You can't using the Debian installer of jOrgan on Raspberry PI as the
RPi has a completely different CPU architecture (ARM compatible chip
not Intel compatible). Use the jOrgan RPi package from the jOrgan
Facebook groups Files section.

jOrgan works fine with JAVA 8.

Kind regards,

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

To write the RPi images to the SD Card from Ubuntu, follow the steps
from https://itsfoss.com/tutorial-how-to-install-raspberry-pi-os-raspbian-wheezy/

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 7/9/18, Graham Goode <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> So far I have not had success with jOrgan. I downloaded Graham's large
>> jOrgan file, and there may be something wrong with the download. After
>> unzipping it using Linux Ubuntu 14.04, Properties tells me that it is
>> 15.09
>> GB in size (or thereabouts - this is from memory). Graham, is that right?
>> Do
>> you have a check5sum string for this download?
>
> Both images are compressed using RAR, which has an internal checksum
> checking feature. The large image should fit on a 16G SD card, the
> smaller image should fit on a 4G SD card.
>
>> I tried also to do a standard jOrgan download. I had success with
>> downloading and installing Java 8 (I had to replace the "6" with "8" in
>> the
>> jOrgan Wiki command line instructions, along with an update, but neither
>> the
>> 32 bit or the 64 bit version of jOrgan 3.20 would install (using the
>> debian
>> files). I don't know whether Rasbpian is yet 64 bit, but I suspect that
>> it
>> is not.
>>
>> The fact that jOrgan would not install with Java 8 is consistent with our
>> current problems, but it is difficult to draw too many conclusions.
>
> You can't using the Debian installer of jOrgan on Raspberry PI as the
> RPi has a completely different CPU architecture (ARM compatible chip
> not Intel compatible). Use the jOrgan RPi package from the jOrgan
> Facebook groups Files section.
>
> jOrgan works fine with JAVA 8.
>
> Kind regards,
> GrahamG

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

grahamg wrote
> jOrgan works fine with JAVA 8.

Hi Graham,

Thank you for those two posts. Yes, I have just checked my VPO console
laptop, and that's what I have working well there. So perhaps the
compatibility problems started only when Java moved to versions 9 and 10?

It may be that the .img file from the Ubuntu Archive Manager is O.K. (but
should its size be 15 GB?), and that the problem arose when using Windows to
write to the SD micro card. I shall certainly need to re-format it in that
case, and use Ubuntu to do it, along the lines of the article in your second
post. Is it possible to follow the instructions re formatting (a separate
link to that article), without problems? Am I right in thinking that only
one partition needs to be specified, and I should make it 15 GB?  And which
file system should I use? The articles make no suggestions.

I am sure that I will get there before long, with your much appreciated
help.

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

John Reimer wrote
> I shall certainly need to re-format

Graham,

I think it's now too late for that. It seems that the copy process has
destroyed all of the SD micro card except for the boot partition. Ubuntu
refuses to mount it, and both Ubuntu and Windows will read only the boot
partition. I shall have to buy another SD when I go to the city in a week's
time.

The copy process did warn me that the 16 GB card was not large enough, and I
foolishly ignored this and chose the option to go ahead "anyway". I note
that Chester Barry reported the same problem on this Forum over a year ago.
His remedy was to use a 32 GB card, but I am not prepared to do that.

I would prefer to try to get jOrgan working on my "standard" RPi by the
normal method. So I did download the file in the Files section of the
Facebook Group site, unzipped it and copied it to my RPi. I already have
Java 8 installed, as I reported in a post above. What do I do next, to get
jOrgan working?

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

I'm pretty sure that don't have to buy another SD card as you have not
destroyed your current one by writing a 'too large' image to it. The
Partition table is likely unreadable and so you need to delete
whatever partitions are defined and create and format new ones. See
http://www.instructables.com/id/Repartition-SD-Card-Windows/ for some
guidance.

Why have you not tried the jOrgan Pi Base (Raspberian plus Fluidsynth
and jOrgan 3.21) which can be loaded on a 4Gig or larger micro SD
card?

There is no 'normal method' for RPi, as there is no all-in-one
installer package like there is for Windows, OS-X, and Debian/Ubuntu
based Linux. That's why I made the SD images. However, as you have
JAVA and jOrgan (which you'll need to start using the command prompt
or create a script for) you also need to install Fluidsynth, so that
jOrgan can load sounfonts, etc..

To manually start jOrgan, open a command prompt (this is the
LXTerminal 'terminal emulator' icon), navigate to your jOrgan folder
(using the cd (change directory) command.), then in that folder type
in
java -jar jorgan.jar

Let me know how it goes...

GrahamG

On 7/10/18, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John Reimer wrote
>> I shall certainly need to re-format
>
> Graham,
>
> I think it's now too late for that. It seems that the copy process has
> destroyed all of the SD micro card except for the boot partition. Ubuntu
> refuses to mount it, and both Ubuntu and Windows will read only the boot
> partition. I shall have to buy another SD when I go to the city in a week's
> time.
>
> The copy process did warn me that the 16 GB card was not large enough, and
> foolishly ignored this and chose the option to go ahead "anyway". I note
> that Chester Barry reported the same problem on this Forum over a year ago.
> His remedy was to use a 32 GB card, but I am not prepared to do that.
>
> I would prefer to try to get jOrgan working on my "standard" RPi by the
> normal method. So I did download the file in the Files section of the
> Facebook Group site, unzipped it and copied it to my RPi. I already have
> Java 8 installed, as I reported in a post above. What do I do next, to get
> jOrgan working?
>
> John Reimer
>

> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

grahamg wrote
> Let me know how it goes...

Graham,

Thank you for that information.

jOrgan works, using that command line, but not with Fluidsynth. The Problem
reads "Unable to create fluidsynth".
Good screen, but no sound. I shall send you the Terminal printout by email.
However, I did open the example.disposition, changed the audio to Gervill,
and got good sound.

(I'm sending this post using the RPi.)

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

Could you also install Qsynth on your Raspberry Pi? Then we can
troubleshoot Fluidsynth a little easier.

GG

On 7/10/18, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> grahamg wrote
>> Let me know how it goes...
>
> Graham,
>
> Thank you for that information.
>
> jOrgan works, using that command line, but not with Fluidsynth. The Problem
> reads "Unable to create fluidsynth".
> Good screen, but no sound. I shall send you the Terminal printout by email.
> However, I did open the example.disposition, changed the audio to Gervill,
> and got good sound.
>
> (I'm sending this post using the RPi.)
>
> John Reimer

> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

grahamg wrote
> Could you also install Qsynth on your Raspberry Pi?

Graham,

Very good news! jOrgan is now working very well on the RPi 3 B+, using my
SYDNEY SCHUKE. In my usual fashion, I don't really know why. I did install
Qsynth, and ran it, but I doubt if that's the reason for the success,
following yesterday's failure.

I am playing it using a MIDI keyboard. The next step will be to take it into
into the next room and use it at the console. As far as I can tell, the
sound (from the audio output socket) is excellent. No trace of hiss or
anything else.

Eventually I will need help with writing and importing a start-up script,
but there's no urgency about that.

You were correct about being able to salvage the SD card. After reformatting
it (the computer cooperated this time), I did write the Basic img to it, but
the RPi would not boot to it. The only thing I did was to use gparted to add
an 8 GB partition, plus a 2 GB swap partition.

Re: Investigating the Raspberry Pi

grahamg
Hi John

> Very good news! jOrgan is now working very well on the RPi 3 B+, using my
> SYDNEY SCHUKE. In my usual fashion, I don't really know why. I did install
> Qsynth, and ran it, but I doubt if that's the reason for the success,
> following yesterday's failure.

Qsynth uses Fluidsynth in the same way the jOrgan does, so installing
Qsynth may have repaired or added something that was missing.

Glad to hear that you have things working!

Also glad to hear that you've made progress with your SD card.

Kind regards,