Importing a soundfont

Brian Sweetnam
It's been a while, and I cannot get it right.

I've imported the soundfont.

I put the stop on the screen and give it the correct skin element.
Next, I reference the sound.
Then I create a soundfont element, and make sure the sound device is
correct.
Next I have the sound reference the soundfont element.

What I cannot remember is what messages to fill in for the stop element.
How do those messages relate to the bank etc inside the soundfont?  I cannot
see any relationship.

Please remind me.  Searching here is not helpful either.

Re: Importing a soundfont

jbeach2646
Brian, once you have imported the soundfont and put the stop on the screen
and given it the correct skin element,  referenced the sound, created a
soundfont element, and made sure the sound device is
correct, and have the sound reference the soundfont element, the messages
for the stop element are automatic with the importation of the soundfont.
In Construct Mode, If you click on a Stop Element,
the Reference Tab, Referenced to Elements,  for that stop element will show
the rank to which the stop is referenced.  Click on the Rank shown in the
Reference Tab, the Message Tab for that Rank will
show something similar to:
Bourdon Doux 8'    Engaged    set 176    set 121
Bourdon Doux 8'    Engaged    set 176    set 0    set 1     This is the Bank
number message of the Bank in Memory where this soundfont is located
Bourdon Doux 8'    Engaged    set 192    set 9                 This is the
Preset Number of the Stop in the Soundfont, visible in a soundfont editor.
Bourdon Doux 8'    Note played    set 144    set pitch    set 100
Bourdon Doux 8'    Note muted    set 128    set pitch
Bourdon Doux 8'    Disengaged    set 176    set 123

On importation, jOrgan automatically processes the soundfont for the above
information and you see it in the Message section for the Ranks, (not the
Stops).

What you MAY have to do is to reference the stops in the division to the
Keyboard (manual/division) element.  To the keyboard element are referenced
all the couplers of the division, to which, of course, are referenced the
stops of that division.  Since the stops are referenced to them, and they,
in turn, to the Keyboard element, the need to reference the stops directly
to the keyboard was eliminated quite a number of versions of jOrgan ago.  On
occasion, I have had to reference the stops to the keyboard and, once jOrgan
had made the association, I unreferenced them from the keyboard.   If Sven
is still monitoring our postings, perhaps, he can give input about the
particulars of this.  Theoretically, it is not supposed to be necessary to
reference the stops to a keyboard element anymore, but I am not sure why
that should not be the case, since note-on/note-off messages are channel
messages in MIDI and the Keyboards/Manuals/Divisions within jOrgan are
assigned channels in the Customizer.   If a Stop is located, physically on
the Console, jOrgan would not be able to determine, without referencing, to
which division the stop belonged.
I have a disposition in which there are 10 separate soundfonts, each
containing members of one organ family of tonality, flutes, diapasons,
mixtures, reeds, strings and percussion.  In the Customizer, the first tab,
the Device Tab, where the Input to jOrgan is selected, the Channel settings
are made for each keyboard/manual/division element.   In the Fluidsynth Tab,
they are shown as soundfonts with the tonal family name, Flutes, etc., and
their Gain can be set.  The individual stops of the soundfonts are located
in different divisions of the disposition and it is only by referencing with
respect to the keyboard that the note-on/note-off messages for a given stop
are effectuated by that division/keyboard.  So, because the elements on the
Console are generic, without referencing there would be no
proper functioning.

Re: Importing a soundfont

Also, to a soundfont element in jOrgan must be referenced all the presets
(stops) in that soundfont.  These will, then, be shown in the references tab
of the soundfont element.

Re: Importing a soundfont

Brian Sweetnam
Thank you John.

I've modified the Christie a little bit.  I've imported a few soundfonts
that I would like to use with it. I do see the messages you mention with the
ranks.  However, when I activate one of my imported stops, I hear nothing.
Upon inspection I see that the existing Christie stops, have 2 messages
each.  Once for Activate and one for Deactivate.  Each of these messages has
3 parameters.  What is that used for and why would my imported soundfonts
not require them?

Re: Importing a soundfont

Brian Sweetnam
Could it possibly be the bank numbers?  If it is not in Bank0, will jOrgan
pick up the correct bank number in the soundfont?  OR does it have to be set
manually?

Re: Importing a soundfont

Brian Sweetnam
I've found the problem.

Not sure if I missed it in the '√≠mport' stage - I probably did.  The
soundfonts I've added do not use bank 0. But in jOrgan, it wanted bank 0.

Re: Importing a soundfont

Chris P
Brian

I would like to add a small rider to what John Beech has detailed about the
MIDI messages.
In the example, the line "Bourdon Doux 8'    Note played    set 144    set
pitch    set 100", the 100 sets the volume at which the rank sounds when
played in jOrgan.
If you are copying ranks from a number of different soundbanks the rank may
need attenuating, something which can be done in a soundfont editor, to get
you into the ballpark.
But, what I tend to find is that I may need to "voice" (fine tune) the organ
within the disposition also.
To do this, increasing this figure will increase the volume, the max value
which can be entered is 127.
Conversely, lowering the number will reduce the volume, although I tend not
to go below 60. Zero will make it silent! A difference of 1 unit makes a
larger difference in volume below this figure (60) than an increase of 1
above 80.
If this is neccesary, I will alter the attentuation in the soundfont editor.
I also prefer to use "set 80" rather than 100. Not saying 100 is wrong! :-)

Regards
Chris Pearson aka jOrganuser(Youtube)

-----
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Importing a soundfont

Brian Sweetnam
Thank you Chris.

Re: Importing a soundfont

Brian Sweetnam
So to summarize, the importing of sound-fonts into jOrgan was caused by the
following setting:

In the past when importing sound-fonts, they were all in bank 0.  I've
noticed that when importing, it is best to have all the presets in the same
bank.  If they are not in the same bank, you have to manually edit jOrgan
messages so that it will work.  If they are in the same bank, make sure it
is bank 0, otherwise, you will also have to specify a different bank while
importing.

Small things can cause a lot of frustration, but believe me, I should never
forget this again.

I a m rather happy now that it is sorted out.