Quantcast

'Hardware GM1 Midi banks"

BrianS
Morning all,

I cannot afford the Keytron and other Roland midi sound modules, so instead, a cheaper option, would be to use a vs1053 codec chip.  I can get one locally, already on a breakoutboard, so that saves me from having to do that.

I am interested in adding a VS1053b board to my new Raspberry Pi organ project.  I want 'hardware' based sound banks, because there is lower latency, and on the negative side, the polyphony is lower.  With this board I am considdering, the polyphony is 31 notes.  This is not a problem, because, GM1 sounds certainly do not require the high polyphony that a pipe organ of any type requires.

I am trying to figure out if this board will work with jOrgan, but I'm not sure.  There seems to be too little information about the midi implementation on the chip.  All I want to do, is access the instruments by using jOrgan.

Included in this post is the datasheet for the midi implementation.  Can someone please see if I will be able to control this chip with jOrgan.

vs1053_midi_board.pdf

Re: 'Hardware GM1 Midi banks"

RoyR
Hi, Brian,

                I've never used the Pi nor this chip so I'm armchair theorizing again! So far as I can make out it's capable of taking General MIDI in and giving the corresponding audio out so I should think what you want can be done, but it looks like there'd be a LOT to learn first!

   As you say, it doesn't give much MIDI information but then, if it accepts GM in you don't need that much info, that's all contained in the GM specification.

On 4 April 2017 at 07:53, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

<http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/file/n4664739/vs1053_midi_board.pdf>

Re: 'Hardware GM1 Midi banks"

RoyR
Hi again, Brian,

                        Have you seen this link?

On 4 April 2017 at 09:04, Roy Radford <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Brian,

It looks like you need to set the GPIO0  and GPIO1 Pins to set MIDI
only mode, and then connect a MIDI connection and a speaker connection
to other pins. Then you'll have access to the 50 instruments as GM.

How much are these boards going for in SA?

Re: 'Hardware GM1 Midi banks"

BrianS
Hi Graham,

About R500.  It looks as though it has the complete 128 GM! instrument set though, not just 50.

Re: 'Hardware GM1 Midi banks"

Hi Roy,

Yes, I have.  This is exactly what I want to buy.

Re: 'Hardware GM1 Midi banks"

Graham,

Look on page 33 of the attached manual, it shows one drum kit, as well as the complete GM1 instrument set.