HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

12

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

Although I have been using jOrgan confidently now for some years, I have suddenly been confronted with the problem of having consistent Fluidsynth Failure and I haven’t the slightest idea why.

For some weeks I have been taking steps to convert the analogue electronic organ in my local church (which I play at least twice a month at services) to a jOrgan installation. The computer I bought for this purpose is a Windows 8.1 machine with a touch-screen. I have been using a 64-bit version of jOrgan 3.21.  No problems until the last day or two, when I found that the Recorder, although reading a loaded file, was not producing any sound. I thought that the best thing was to Uninstall jOrgan and do a re-install. Ever since doing that, I have been getting Fluidsynth Failure. I have tried everything I could think of, such as even doing a re-install using jOrgan 3.20 and at 32-bit. The computer has Java at both 32 and 64 bit.

Does the Windows Uninstall literally remove all trace of jOrgan, including from the Registry? I’m getting the impression that for some reason this particular computer can no longer run jOrgan.

I HAVE to use jOrgan at church this coming Sunday. The old analogue circuitry was irrecoverably disconnected yesterday.  I can of course use the computer I already have at home at my own console, and this will present no real problem in the short term. But how can I get jOrgan working on the computer bought for church use?

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

Here is the log file  - I hope this is meaningful:

Nov 26, 2015 2:43:47 PM jorgan.bootstrap.Bootstrap start
SEVERE: bootstrapping failed
        at jorgan.bootstrap.Main.<init>(Main.java:31)
        at jorgan.bootstrap.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:39)
        at jorgan.bootstrap.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:48)
Caused by: java.lang.Error: unexpected
        at jorgan.cli.Interpreter.start(Interpreter.java:167)
        at jorgan.cli.CLI.display(CLI.java:115)
        at jorgan.App.start(App.java:66)
        at jorgan.App.main(App.java:100)
        ... 7 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: The handle is invalid
        at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
        at jorgan.cli.Interpreter.readLine(Interpreter.java:188)
        at jorgan.cli.Interpreter.start(Interpreter.java:155)

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

that error hasn't anything to do with Fluidsynth.

You are starting jOrgan in headless mode? (--headless)

On 26.11.2015 07:19, John Reimer wrote:

> Here is the log file  - I hope this is meaningful:
>
> Nov 26, 2015 2:43:47 PM jorgan.bootstrap.Bootstrap start
> SEVERE: bootstrapping failed
> at jorgan.bootstrap.Main.<init>(Main.java:31)
> at jorgan.bootstrap.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:39)
> at jorgan.bootstrap.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:48)
> Caused by: java.lang.Error: unexpected
> at jorgan.cli.Interpreter.start(Interpreter.java:167)
> at jorgan.cli.CLI.display(CLI.java:115)
> at jorgan.App.start(App.java:66)
> at jorgan.App.main(App.java:100)
> ... 7 more
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: The handle is invalid
> at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
> at java.io.FileInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
> at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
> at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
> at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(Unknown Source)
> at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(Unknown Source)
> at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(Unknown Source)
> at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(Unknown Source)
> at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(Unknown Source)
> at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
> at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
> at jorgan.cli.Interpreter.readLine(Interpreter.java:188)
> at jorgan.cli.Interpreter.start(Interpreter.java:155)
>

> John Reimer

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

John,  I don't know if this applies exactly to your problem, but I tried
jOrgan 3.21 64-bit, forgetting that Bernd's Fluidsynth extension for
portaudio only applies to 32-bit.  So, in 64-bit you have to
use dsound as there is no portaudio extension for Fluidsynth.  I had the
same problem you describe and made the switch back to 32-bit jOrgan.  In
Windows 10, I run both 32 and 64-bit Java Runtimes
which Google Chrome likes to have, but I run only the 32-bit jOrgan with the
32-bit Java for Fluidsynth with Bernd's Portaudio extension.

BCA

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

BCA

I remember having had such issues when having both Java 32 and 64 bit versions installed in parallel. Only either-or works here. It feeled like jOrgan doesn't find the matching version of Java automatically. (Sorry Sven, no offense, just an impression how it feeled like.)

For rock-stable working on a professional console, I recommend constructing a Test Kit with the proper starter batch file and matching Java and jOrgan versions. I can offer any support when needed.
all the best,
BCA

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

Sven. BCA, JohnB,

Thank you for your prompt replies.

I am certainly not running this headless. I need the touch-screen at least until I get the stop switches operative.
Also, I am more than happy to run this in 32-bit. I certainly need to use portaudio because of latency considerations, and I have not worked out how to use GrahamG's 64-bit Fluidsynth extension.

What I need to do is to get this computer back to 32-bit Java and jOrgan, but I fear that there are remnants of the previous 64-bit attempts left in the computer that are preventing me from doing this. Would there be any point in going back to an earlier System Reference Point (or whatever they are called)?

I did at one stage try to get Jack going in 64-bit, but I did not use  Graham's Registry changes as per his tutorial, as the Jack website gave no indication of a 64-bit problem, and so I assumed the the earlier problem with Jack 64-bit had been overcome in the most recent version. However, I have long since uninstalled Jack. I have no idea whether this matter has added to my problems.

I am grateful, BCA, for your offers of help, and I shall take you up on this if I fail to have 32-bit success with the normal Windows installation.

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

allen.biggins
John

To be sure that everything has been removed it may be necessary to go
into the registry and clean up any crap that windows has left. It
doesn't always do that and can interfere with later attempts to install.

Cheers

Allen
Oz

On 27/11/15 06:04, John Reimer wrote:

> Sven. BCA, JohnB,
>
> Thank you for your prompt replies.
>
> I am certainly not running this headless. I need the touch-screen at least
> until I get the stop switches operative.
> Also, I am more than happy to run this in 32-bit. I certainly need to use
> portaudio because of latency considerations, and I have not worked out how
> to use GrahamG's 64-bit Fluidsynth extension.
>
> What I need to do is to get this computer back to 32-bit Java and jOrgan,
> but I fear that there are remnants of the previous 64-bit attempts left in
> the computer that are preventing me from doing this. Would there be any
> point in going back to an earlier System Reference Point (or whatever they
> are called)?
>
> I did at one stage try to get Jack going in 64-bit, but I did not use
> Graham's Registry changes as per his tutorial, as the Jack website gave no
> indication of a 64-bit problem, and so I assumed the the earlier problem
> with Jack 64-bit had been overcome in the most recent version. However, I
> have long since uninstalled Jack. I have no idea whether this matter has
> added to my problems.
>
> I am grateful, BCA, for your offers of help, and I shall take you up on this
> if I fail to have 32-bit success with the normal Windows installation.
>
> John Reimer

"You have between your legs an instrument made in heaven and all you can do is scratch it."
Sir Thomas Beecham, Conductor, addressing a Cellist in the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

I worked very hard during the week to get the church organ jOrgan upgrade functional for Sunday. This included modifying the manual contacts, as the existing 35-year old ones are not reliable for the low voltage being used by the MIDI interface. I had time only to modify the Swell manual (it is a 2-manual organ). Fortunately the pedal contacts do not have the same problem. I expect the stop switches to be very difficult, as I doubt that they can be modified easily. I propose to buy 31 DIL relays to solve the problem.

The organ did seem to be working well the night before, but just before the service was due to start, and after I had played through the hymns a couple of times, a contact began to stick on. I had to abandon the organ and played the service music on the Clavinova instead, using the one organ sound which I find tolerable. When I got home I realised that I could have used the jOrgan Customizer to exclude the offending note and those lower than it. This could easily have been done without serious loss, as the note was bottom E.

In response to the replies, I did a System Restore to a Restore Point dated early November 2015. Nothing earlier was offered. Also, I started to uninstall Java and jOrgan, with a view to installing them both as 32-bit. However, the Windows 8.1 Uninstaller failed to uninstall jOrgan 3.21 and gave the following message:

File “C:\Program Files\jOrgan\unins000.dat” does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

So what do I do next?

I see that “Advanced Uninstaller PRO” has received quite good recommendation on the net. Has anyone here used it?

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

emmsworth-2
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 13:01:20 +1100, John Reimer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Advanced Uninstaller PRO

Hello John,

Sorry to read about all the dramas, that you have experienced, of late,
with jOrgan. I'm sure you'll have them rectified soon, and be on the right
track [so to speak].

As to Advanced Uninstaller PRO, I can thoroughly recommend it. Have been
using it for sometime. It has a deep clean cycle, and will find left over
'rubbish' from programmes, though most of it is in the registry, but
sometimes 'devious' programmes hide elements anywhere on you disc.

I also have a Clavinova.........Most of the tones, other than the
excellent piano sounds, aren't really tolerable. mine also get stuck keys
in the upper and lower, less used octaves....

Cheers for now
Paul

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

John, I have used Advanced System Care (with Advanced Uninstaller PRO) as
part of the suite of programs included in it.  When you open the control
panel to Uninstall a program, you will automatically
get the option to do a "file clean up" of files which remain (most
frequently in the registry) after the uninstall is performed.  There is also
the option to use "Powerful Uninstall" at the top of the
Control Panel window.  It works very well.

BCA

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

BCA

I just tested install and uninstall routines of jOrgan 3.20 32-bit on a Windows 8.1 notebook. Everything went perfect.

Your system rollback has screwed up everything now. Such hints are amateur hints from people who haven't any idea about the inside of Windows. sorry.

"File “C:\Program Files\jOrgan\unins000.dat” does not exist. Cannot uninstall."
-- that means you've not run the complete jOrgan install routine. Instead, you may have copied jOrgan from your other computer to the new.

"So what do I do next?"
-- you have to get rid from any file corpses present on the new system.

-- run a complete install of the current jOrgan version you've present on the church console pc now. Then run a correct uninstall from the jOrgan group in the start menu, or from "add/remove programs". Afterwards, look into the Windows program folders and delete any other jOrgan stuff which may be present there.

-- Uninstall any Java runtimes. Perform a default install of a fresh 32-bit Java recommended for Windows 8.1.

Then decide which jOrgan version shall be run definitely on the church console. I recommend 3.20 final 32-bit. Perform a default install.

If you went there correctly, report issues here, please.

all the best,
BCA

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

greenfox

I would suggest a clean install of windows and start fresh.

On 29/11/2015 5:57 PM, "BCA" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

[...]

-----
all the best,
BCA

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

Paul, JohnB, BCA, Rick,

Thank you for your advice. I shall report back eventually. I shall have to leave the church laptop to one side for a while, as I attend to the more pressing console hardware issues.

BTW, the contact problem of Sunday morning was easily resolved later in the day. I was then able to spend quite some time listening to the organ play some jOrgan MIDI files. What a difference it makes, to get the sound out of my small music room at home and into the big space of the church!

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

I have now almost finished the installation of jOrgan and the Broadway disposition in my local church. Using my own console laptop, the new sounds (replacing the analogue sounds used for the past 35 years) have now been heard in two Sunday services, the one on Sunday 20th December being very important indeed - the Centenary Service celebrating the fact that my local church has now had a building on the site for 100 years.

I have now returned to the task of getting the laptop I bought for this installation to work with jOrgan. This task is the subject of his current thread.

In accordance with advice given above, I have re-installed jOrgan and now successfully uninstalled it. Then I re-installed Java and jOrgan, both 32-bit, as it turned out. Unfortunately the Fluidsynth Failure remains. Below is the error log file. I don't really understand it, but I do notice that it refers to bookends WHICH I HAVE NOT YET TRIED TO ADD. Perhaps this is significant.

Dec 22, 2015 9:46:37 PM jorgan.Version log
INFO: jOrgan null
os.arch = x86
os.name = Windows 8.1
os.version = 6.3
java.home = C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66
java.version = 1.8.0_66
java.runtime.name = Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
java.runtime.version = 1.8.0_66-b18
user.dir = C:\Program Files (x86)\jOrgan
user.home = C:\Users\John
user.country = AU
user.language = en
user.name = John
Dec 22, 2015 9:46:37 PM jorgan.gui.LAF install
INFO: setting look and feel 'com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel'
Dec 22, 2015 9:47:11 PM jorgan.fluidsynth.windows.BackendManager getInstance
INFO: backend failure 'fluidsynth-dsound-portaudio-asio-demo-x86-1'
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\jOrgan\lib\fluidsynth\fluidsynth-dsound-portaudio-asio-demo-x86-1\backend.xml (The system cannot find the path specified)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at jorgan.fluidsynth.io.BackendStream.read(BackendStream.java:54)
        at jorgan.fluidsynth.windows.BackendManager.read(BackendManager.java:75)
        at jorgan.fluidsynth.windows.BackendManager.getInstance(BackendManager.java:81)
        at jorgan.fluidsynth.windows.BackendManager.loadLibraries(BackendManager.java:92)
        at jorgan.fluidsynth.Fluidsynth.<clinit>(Fluidsynth.java:208)
        at jorgan.fluidsynth.play.FluidsynthSoundPlayer.createSynth(FluidsynthSoundPlayer.java:116)
        at jorgan.fluidsynth.play.FluidsynthSoundPlayer.update(FluidsynthSoundPlayer.java:58)
        at jorgan.play.OrganPlay.createPlayer(OrganPlay.java:270)
        at jorgan.play.OrganPlay.<init>(OrganPlay.java:101)
        at jorgan.play.OrganPlaySessionProvider$1.<init>(OrganPlaySessionProvider.java:45)
        at jorgan.play.OrganPlaySessionProvider.create(OrganPlaySessionProvider.java:44)
        at jorgan.session.spi.SessionRegistry.create(SessionRegistry.java:36)
        at jorgan.session.OrganSession.lookup(OrganSession.java:212)
        at jorgan.play.OrganPlaySessionProvider.init(OrganPlaySessionProvider.java:36)
        at jorgan.session.spi.SessionRegistry.init(SessionRegistry.java:29)
        at jorgan.session.OrganSession.<init>(OrganSession.java:100)
        at jorgan.gui.OrganFrame.openOrgan(OrganFrame.java:350)
        at jorgan.gui.OrganFrame$OpenAction.actionPerformed(OrganFrame.java:506)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

Dec 22, 2015 9:47:11 PM jorgan.fluidsynth.Fluidsynth <clinit>
INFO: native failure
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: unknown backend 'fluidsynth-dsound-portaudio-asio-demo-x86-1'
        at jorgan.fluidsynth.windows.BackendManager.loadLibraries(BackendManager.java:94)
[...]

I do need help with this problem.

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

jbeach2646
John,  From the following, I wondered if you have Bernd's Fluidsynth
Portaudio Extension in the Default folder of Fluidsynth in jOrgan?

BCA

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

BCA

"But I do notice that it refers to bookends WHICH I HAVE NOT YET TRIED TO ADD. Perhaps this is significant."

so it is.

I second JohnB here. It seems you haven't the correct backend present in the new installation on your church organ console pc. jOrgan comes with it's default FluidSynth backend, all other backends have to be downloaded and included by hand. Since you seem to use your original disposition from your construction pc, the dispo points to a backend which isn't present so far, on the console pc. When you compare the lib/FluidSynth folders of jOrgan on both the pcs, you'll find out the difference.

Alternatively you can point your jOrgan to it's default FS backend, under View/Configuration/FluidSynth.

The currently available FS backends you'll find here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jorgan/files/fluidsynth/

HTH!
all the best,
BCA

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

JohnB, BCA,

Thank you for your replies, which confirm what I had begun to suspect. What I was ignorant of, was that using a disposition with one or more of the backends installed in jOrgan, leaves its mark on the disposition when it is saved. I shall add BCA's 32-bit backend portaudio file to the jOrgan folder and report back.

Best wishes to you and to all for Christmas.

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

Bad report - I have copied fluidsynth-dsound-portaudio-x86-1 into the jOrgan/lib/fluidsynth folder and opened the fluidsynth-example disposition, and still have Fluidsynth Failure. When viewing the Fluidsynth page of the Configuration, all the windows are blank.  Here is the error log, which seems to be naming a DIFFERENT backend to the one I have copied into the Fluidsynth folder:

Dec 23, 2015 9:00:51 AM jorgan.Version log
INFO: jOrgan null
os.arch = x86
os.name = Windows 8.1
os.version = 6.3
java.home = C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66
java.version = 1.8.0_66
java.runtime.name = Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
java.runtime.version = 1.8.0_66-b18
user.dir = C:\Program Files (x86)\jOrgan
user.home = C:\Users\John
user.country = AU
user.language = en
user.name = John
Dec 23, 2015 9:00:51 AM jorgan.gui.LAF install
INFO: setting look and feel 'com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel'
Dec 23, 2015 9:01:08 AM jorgan.fluidsynth.windows.BackendManager getInstance
[...]

Dec 23, 2015 9:01:08 AM jorgan.fluidsynth.Fluidsynth <clinit>
[...]

I am very pleased to report that I have success at last with the church laptop.

I uninstalled and re-installed jOrgan 3.20 (32-bit) once more, opened fluidsynth-example, and went to the Configuration Fluidsynth page. Although all the cells were blank, at least the top one was shaded blue slightly. I clicked on it and was presented with a "default" option, on which I clicked. Fluidsynth-example then sounded for me. The next step was to copy the specific fluidsynth backend file that it obviously "wants" (I may have had that one in the folder previously), and to open the Broadway disposition. All seemed to work as it should. I was able to select portaudio as the sound driver.

I am grateful to those who have responded to my problem and made helpful suggestions.

It is quite clear to me that even if one uninstalls jOrgan from Windows 8.1, somehow or other some jOrgan information is retained somewhere. This is quite obvious when one finds that one is presented with "Recent" options to open, although one is using jOrgan newly installed. This should not happen if one is starting with a "blank sheet".

Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE

John Reimer wrote
Although I have been using jOrgan confidently now for some years, I have suddenly been confronted with the problem of having consistent Fluidsynth Failure and I haven’t the slightest idea why.
The problems discussed in this thread, involving the use of the BROADWAY disposition on the new computer used in my local church, came back to haunt me yesterday. For some months I have been working quietly on a new VPO based on recordings I made quite some time ago of every second note (6 seconds on, 4 seconds off) of a small extension-type organ of five ranks of pipes.  Yesterday I began to make up a disposition using the theatre-organ technique of creating a number of stops of various pitches from a limited number of ranks. I was delighted at how quickly one could do this, compared to the usual straight method. I made the disposition by heavily modifying an existing one - actually the Earlwood Organ No.3. To do this, I was using the  computer in my study, which runs on Windows 7.

All went well until I transferred the new disposition/soundfont into the music room to try it out on my console computer. What I use there is a Windows 8.1 touch-screen netbook computer, with Jack running along with an excellent reverberation VST plugin from Freeverb, and with an appropriate Fluidsynth backend in use. I was greeted with FLUIDSYNTH FAILURE. I could get the new VPO working with dsound, but not with the backend. Therefore I was deprived of excellent latency and excellent reverberation.

Needless to say, this was very disappointing, and for some time I had depressing thoughts about the problems of getting this remarkable jOrgan program to work across ever-changing computer operating systems. My remedy, in the evening when I had settled down somewhat, was to start all over again, this time basing my heavy modification method on a disposition that was already working well on my console computer - the more recent BROADWAY one. This disposition had been created on the same Windows 7 computer, but fortunately did not exhibit the problems it showed when using it with the church computer. I can report that the partly-constructed disposition is working well with the backend!

So this  recent experience confirms the suspicions raised in this thread: one needs to be very careful when working with differing computer systems, especially if the Fluidsynth backends are involved. My advice to all disposition creators is simply this: if you are using Windows, do your work using ONLY dsound. Do not let the backends get anywhere near your disposition if it is your intention to share it with other users. Certainly the backends can be used eventually for the important advantages they provide, but they should be introduced AFTER the disposition is installed in its intended computer.

John Reimer
12