Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

12

Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

jbeach2646
Another possibility is Yahoo Groups.  I belonged to a number of
organ-related groups on Yahoo Groups.  They do allow file storage.  Perhaps,
Roy Radford, who is a member of a Lowery Organ forum, would care to weigh in
on
this subject, obligations, if there are group costs or maintenance fees,
etc.  There were several soundfont and theater pipe organ users' groups on
Yahoo Groups.  They allowed both soundfont storage and user-produced midi
and mp3 files.  This is an excellent idea since it would allow posting of
user-made performances indicating the disposition with which the file was
made, allowing download of the jOrgan-disposition-proprietary midi file or
the mp3 file.   I believe there must a site moderator and criteria would
have to be established to prevent spam and non-topic-related or
vulgar/obscene postings.  We have discussed this problem within the past 6
months when attempting to set up a jOrgan forum-related site.   Hasn't that
site been completely dismantled due to the
problems of advertisement spam?   I don't know how Yahoo polices their
Groups, although I do know that irrelevant and often obscene/vulgar postings
were not uncommon, even on church-related groups.  It was a nuisance factor.
Whether is is completely policeable by the moderator, perhaps, Roy would
know.
I hope you don't mind my suggesting your expertise, Roy.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

Pete Theisen
I am on a couple of Yahoo groups and I don't care for them. Too many
scandals, too.

On 02/20/2017 08:10 AM, John Beach wrote:
> Another possibility is Yahoo Groups.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

Thank you John and Pete for your thoughts.

The reason I suggest Facebook, is because I belong to a couple of groups there as well.  I only need to know if one could for example upload a midi, mp3, disposition or zip file to the files section.

It is so easy to connect to a facebook group as well.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

BrianS
So I see you can link a dropbox file that is larger than 100 mb... Other files smaller than 100 mb, can be shared to the facebook group directly.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

How DO you share files on Facebook? I get to the file sharing page and I
get a page with no content other than ads for games . . .

On 02/20/2017 08:43 AM, BrianS wrote:

> Thank you John and Pete for your thoughts.
>
> The reason I suggest Facebook, is because I belong to a couple of groups
> there as well.  I only need to know if one could for example upload a midi,
> mp3, disposition or zip file to the files section.
>
> It is so easy to connect to a facebook group as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.
>

> -----
> Regards,
>
> BrianS

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

Hi, John,

               I WONDERED why my ears were burning!   *:)) laughing

    As a matter of fact I suggested this during the recent deliberations about a new format but a couple of people said they hate the Yahoo Group system so I let it drop.

   I'm one of the Moderators on Lowreyforum. Owners and Moderators have a wide range of options as to how the group is run. The main choices are closed or public, moderated or not. Only members may post to Lowreyforum, new members have to wait for a Moderator's approval to join. They are expected to give a reason for joining, just a few lines to show they know what the group is about. That prevents robots joining.

                    Our policy is to moderate new members until they've made a few organ-related posts, then move them to unmoderated to avoid excessive workload.

  Our policies are stated here:

"The purpose of this group is for anyone who has, has had, would like to have any Lowrey organ. Topics related to other brands of organs are also encouraged. Not just limited to Lowery's! Sections include: Photo's; Links to many useful/interesting items,and a link to a supporting web site. Files section that contains many useful items and a file set aside for uploading your sound cut so the WEB Master can place it in the supporting WEB Site www.lowreyforum.com Database of Organs for sale and going prices. Also a Database where you as a member can rate your experiences with Lowrey Dealers....Just the facts please we don't mean to insult a dealer, but just want to know what real experiences have been had and earned by a dealer.
We have over 1,000 members now and usually we can help out with most technical questions. Usually someone has the answer (Not always!)

Pictures of your equipment, set ups, etc are encouraged and also any useful links. Do post a Picture of yourself ,if you feel like it, as I will change the group picture from time to time and you will get your turn!
Humor in good taste is also encouraged, to help lighten up dull moments and lulls in any discussions, however please refrain from Lewd, racist, sexist and obscene language, and no photos of that variety either. This site should be enjoyed by all. Participation in all discussions are welcome!!!! Cast your vote in our ongoing Polls!!!

No Politics either as we do not want offense taken.

Membership is restricted, that is, a moderator's approval is needed before a new member may join and their first few posts are moderated. These measures help to keep the group free from spam and other offensive material.

Dick Owner and Moderator"

   We take a pretty broad view on off-topic comments but have zero tolerance for spam or blatant insults to other members, any Moderator would immediately award them the Grand Order of the BOOT! Milder offences are usually dealt with by a private message to the poster, possibly backed with a temporary return to moderated posts.

On 20 February 2017 at 13:10, John Beach <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You Roy? With a Lowery?

On 02/20/2017 09:44 AM, Roy Radford wrote:
> Hi, John,
>
>                I WONDERED why my ears were burning!   *:)) laughing
>
>     As a matter of fact I suggested this during the recent
> deliberations about a new format but a couple of people said they hate
> the Yahoo Group system so I let it drop.
>
>    I'm one of the Moderators on Lowreyforum.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

BrianS
Just for interest sake.

My main organ console, is a modified Hammond E100.  I had to build the cabinet higher, in order to fit a 3'rd manual above the 2 Hammond manuals.

So currently,  my console has parts from these organ manufacturers inside it:

Hammond (94.999%) - the console, pedals, and organ stool.
Behringer (5%) - the top most manual that I added.
Lowry (0.001%) - a single black note, the original Hammond note was damaged when a brick fell on the keyboard.  I replaced this black note with a Lowry note, that is all I have available to use.  You would not notice it, unless I point it out.

Just some fun facts about my console.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

   No, Pete, I don't have a Lowrey but the group allow discussion of any organ, even a home-made contraption built by a raving nutcase!    *:)) laughing

On 20 February 2017 at 15:09, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
You Roy? With a Lowery?

On 02/20/2017 09:44 AM, Roy Radford wrote:
> Hi, John,
>
>                I WONDERED why my ears were burning!   *:)) laughing
>
>     As a matter of fact I suggested this during the recent
> deliberations about a new format but a couple of people said they hate
> the Yahoo Group system so I let it drop.
>
>    I'm one of the Moderators on Lowreyforum.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

Paul Kealy
I have created a half dozen or so Yahoogroups for clients as well as three for my own groups.
I have had no complaints. And they are extremely to set up and manage.

One I set up for theatre pipe organs has multiple moderators, all of whom receive every submitted posting, any one of whom may approve or reject the message.

Twice a week I use yahoogroups to post read-only email magazines ("e-zines") to my writers and organ groups, answering queries off-list, or editing and posting to the entire list at my discretion.

I began some of these 14 years ago (before social media commandeered so many Internet hours of some people in our contemporary world).

They are free, funded by an ad selected by Yahoo that appears with the post.

As you document, there are a variety of tweaks to enable multiple moderators, mandatory monitoring of each post or open posting, that sort of thing.
They serve me and others well.

pk

= = = Roy Radford WROTE: = = =

    As a matter of fact I suggested this during the recent deliberations about a new format but a couple of people said they hate the Yahoo Group system so I let it drop.

      I'm one of the Moderators on Lowreyforum. Owners and Moderators have a wide range of options as to how the group is run. The main choices are closed or public, moderated or not. Only members may post to Lowreyforum, new members have to wait for a Moderator's approval to join. They are expected to give a reason for joining, just a few lines to show they know what the group is about. That prevents robots joining.

Yahoogoups

[...]

In what way would creating such a group make it easier or better for us than this Forum,  which could hardly be said to be particularly busy?

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

BrianS
Hi John R,

In my opinion, it would be much easier to add photo's.  It it not intended to replace this forum at all, just to enhance our interaction.  You do not see many photo's of projects (console builds, etc), screenshots, and so on here.  I think this is because it is simply just too much trouble or effort to do it.   i have done it in the past, but it is much more cumbersome than doing it on Facebook, for example.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

grahamg
The audience available via FaceBook will be different to those who are
on the forum, as the social interactions of FaceBook are different.
I'd be in favor of having a FaceBook jOrgan Users group, so I'd
suggest that you create it Brian, and then we can sort out who the
moderators are, etc., once there are members.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

BrianS
I have created a Facebook group, it is called 'jOrgan User Group'.

Please, if you can, join the group.  It is not meant to replace this forum, but will serve as an enhancement to this group.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

greenfox
I have requested to join. I think it is a good way for us to share.

On 21 Feb. 2017 5:37 pm, "BrianS" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have created a Facebook group, it is called 'jOrgan User Group'.

Please, if you can, join the group.  It is not meant to replace this forum,
but will serve as an enhancement to this group.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

Hi Rick,

I agree with you.  I hope it turns out to be just as useful as this forum.

I think it is so much easier to share graphics and photos on the Facebook Group than here on the Forum.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

Aaron Laws
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:11 AM, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rick,

I agree with you.  I hope it turns out to be just as useful as this forum.

I think it is so much easier to share graphics and potos on the Facebook
Group than here on the Forum.

Brian.

It's quite easy to share photos via e-mail and via facebook: I don't see a difference. One thing that would be nice is if the photos would accumulate, and could be organized. In the forum, they're posted, then deleted. They can be found through the archive, but it would be better if there were a space for collecting photos of others' work, etc. I don't know if facebook provides this kind of storage functionality, but if Yahoo! Groups does (I think there are storage "areas" associated with each group), that would be worthwhile.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

Hi Aaron,

If Facebook proves to not be the best solution, then at least we tried and can say it failed.

I am willing to give it a try though.

Re: Fw: jOrgan closed group on Facebook

Hi Roy,

I have heard rumors that Yahoo is in trouble generally.  That some of their services might close down.  I actually heard that Yahoo groups might be going.  If this is true, it will destroy large internet 'communities' and special interest groups that exist in the Yahoo Groups ecosystem.  In the past, they did close down their blogging service, I can't remember what it was called anymore - it's been many years since it has closed down.  Lost of people lost a lot of content when this happened.  I use another Yahoo service, namely Flickr. I am an amateur photographer as well, and fear that when they close down, I will lose some of my photo's as well. Do any of you know if this is true or just a rumor?

12