Fw: jOrgan and home automation

jbeach2646
Brian,  I know that MIDI is used in applications for light switching.  While
I am not personally interested in exploring other uses for jOrgan, my
suggestion or question concerning this is whether there are not already
applications available which do what you are contemplating the adaption of
jOrgan to do?   (The idea of having to have a PC running 24/7 for "home
automation" is not something most people would be interested in.)
Theoretically, for example, a MIDI sequencer program could be adapted to
switching applications since it has a real time clock, is settable to exact
beats per minute, could use a standard midi file to trigger "start" "stop"
events at exact times in a 24-hour period.   I am sure that the recorder in
jOrgan must have a real time clock since it can record using the playback
input from standard midi files and it can record and playback its own
jOrgan-proprietary midi files.  Using a jOrgan proprietary midi file to
trigger "start/stop" events by a note-on/note-off in the recorded track of a
24-hour-long midi file is really overkill.  A cuckoo clock mechanism with
two strings to electrical switches would do the same thing more cheaply.

Re: Fw: jOrgan and home automation

BrianS
Thank you for your thoughts John.

I was thinking about using a Raspberry Pi, as it uses very little power and is very small.

It was just a though to see how other people feel about it.