Fw: Volume or Velocity Settings

jbeach2646
John R., thanks for your response and I was certain that you would respond
since I know and have referred to your webpage which has such settings.  I
appreciate your knowledge and experience with this issue.  The reason for my
long sentences is that the factor or problem of "interdependence" with
respect to the values of different MIDI parameters which affect
loudness required explanations which have to be taken into consideration if
the problem is to be solved and the effect is to be achieved.  So, I often
express my thoughts in sentences with a lot of explanatory clauses which are
more akin to German "ZusammenSetzung,"(sentence composition) which is more
paragraphic, grammatically.
While I believe the decibel concept is important, I have yet to find a
listing of Organ Stops which gives relative loudness as decibels rather than
degrees of "piano" (mp,p,pp,ppp) or  "forte" (mf,f,ff,fff,ffff), or the
equivalent of "piano or forte" values are specified in terms of decibels.

I suspect that organs which have been recorded from the pipes of their
specifications
are not a problem with respect to loudness differences  if the same position
and settings for all recordings
are maintained in and for the recording device.  My problem, of course, is
due to the
fact of my synthesizing all organ stops and having to regulate loudness in
the Soundfont editor.
The problem becomes rather complex, given the number of factors to consider
as both constants
and variables with respect to the several, registered and non-registered
parameters which pertain to loudness.

In my case, I don't have the benefit of the experience of a professional
pipe voicer or tuner and only
the information to be derived from information posted on the web.

Re: Fw: Volume or Velocity Settings

jbeach2646 wrote
> John R.,  I know and have referred to your webpage which has such
> settings.

Here is the link to the appropriate article, which lists the Velocity
Settings:
http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/ART/Volume_Control.htm

Re: Fw: Volume or Velocity Settings

Chris P
John B

If the volume of the ranks are for a classical pipe organ, I have a list of
about 140 ranks which I compiled for use  with my dispositions, but it is
not in decibels.

I use AP Tuner, for which I have made a scale on a piece of card, which I
then position at the side of the screen graphic. I attenuate each rank using
this in relation to a mean value of 4 or 5 notes around middle C, for
manuals, from which my list was compiled. This of course relies on the whole
compass of the rank being correct volume wise.

If this is of any use to you let me know.

Regards
Chris P

PS I shall be away over the weekend.

-----