Fw: Setting sample playback speed on the fly

Fw: Setting sample playback speed on the fly

jbeach2646
Brian,  try Audacity wave file editor.  It does allow changing speed of
playback and it allows recording simultaneous as you playback.  Speed is
directly related to frequency/pitch, so slowing speed also
lowers pitch, proportionately.  This is the same principle that is used by
Polyphone or Viena soundfont editors when one sample (e.g. 1046.3 Hz)  is
used for different pitches within an octave or for the entire compass of the
keyboard, the transposition to specific, individual frequencies of other
pitches, being done by the computer, relative to the assignment of a "root
key" relative to the MIDI key number.
If you don't have Audacity, download it, and when opened, click on the
"Help">Manual which will open with the browser and insert this:

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Audacity/help/manual/man/transcription_toolbar.html

It will show you the transcription toolbar and explain the aspects of
varying playback speed and pitch change which results.

Re: Fw: Setting sample playback speed on the fly

I wa hoping it would be possible to speed up or slow down, without changing the pitch of the sample, from withing the soundfont.  This is because it is a recording of the 'drum section', playing a specific 'style'.

Re: Fw: Setting sample playback speed on the fly

RoyR
   That's exactly what happens with the jOrgan recorder. If you change the playback speed, the speed changes but not the pitch, you are just sending note-on/note-off messages to the synthesizer at a different rate, the note numbers, hence the pitch, stay the same.

   I just tried it and noticed that, although you can type numbers into the speed panel, that doesn't work, you have to use the speed up/down buttons and wind to the speed you want.

Hi John,