Fw: Reverb

jbeach2646
John R., is there a significant difference or benefit of control between
Reverb Parameter settings in the Instrument and Preset sections of the
Soundfont?  In the case of some organ voices, Celestes, in particular, where
two Instruments, Aeoline 8' (standard tuning) and Aeoline Celeste (celeste
tuning) are used (as "layers") in the Preset, Aeoline Celeste 8'  II
(ranks), since the combined volume is louder, I set the Attenuation
parameter in the Preset level.  Generally, Attenuation is the only parameter
which I set at the Preset Level.

Re: Fw: Reverb

jbeach2646 wrote
John R., is there a significant difference or benefit of control between
Reverb Parameter settings in the Instrument and Preset sections of the
Soundfont?
JohnB,

I don't know of any difference. But I keep to a consistent pattern of doing it in the Presets. That way there is less chance of it being overlooked, I suspect.

Re: Fw: Reverb

jbeach2646
John R.,  as you know from your experience with sound editing, the
Instrument Parameter Window in Polyphone which starts with the Key Range to
End Loop Offset, is entirely copy-and-paste capable.   This is, essentially,
why I make all the Parameter adjustments, with the exception of Attenuation,
in the Instrument Pool.

Following Paul's tutorials on Attack and Release parameters for Flues and
Reeds, and for the specific pitches of footages, I can copy and paste the
parameters for each footage and type of organ stop, making soundfont
creation very rapid.

I drag the mouse cursor right down the parameters from Key Range to End Loop
Offset and copy and paste the entirety for each of the same footage and type
(flue or reed) of stop/instrument for which I have already copied and pasted
the instances of wave file samples for that instrument.

I leave all the samples at normalized volume in the sample pool, use a
system of graduated 6 dB per Octave attenuation in all footages in the
Instrument Pool, starting at 32'=0, 16'=6, 10-2/3'=9, 8'=12, 5-1/3'=15,
4'=18, 2-2/3'=21, 2'=24, 1-3/5'=25, 1-1/3'=27, 1'=30.  This produces a
subtle  uniformity of voicing throughout all the voices of the soundfont.
But, of course, I use synthesized sounds entirely with no recorded, real
pipes, so standardization is possible.   With three wave files per octave,
the numbering is a system of the addition of 2 dB reduction, ascending, for
each instance of a wave file. 32' Stop Attenuation is: 1st Octave 0,2,4, 2nd
Octave 6,8,10 etc.
Then, set the attenuation in the Preset level for the approximate, relative
volume of a particular pipe organ stop.

Using this method, 7 soundfonts containing well over 400 Presets of the most
common organ stops are a total size of slightly more than 40 Megabytes.

John B.

jbeach2646 wrote