Quantcast

Fw: Raspbian

jbeach2646
Brian, I think I mentioned previously that the software for some of the
retro-fit, MIDI interfaces allows the specification of MIDI Channel
assignments for the hardware, i.e., Swell, Great, Pedal, etc., keyboards
that are connected/hardwired to those interfaces.  Mine, unless I run the
software program to make changes to those channel assignments are Swell=MIDI
Channel 1, Great=MIDI Channel 2,
Pedal=MIDI Channel 3.  Just as with "standardization" being a problem in
regard to the numbering of the preset/program changes/organ stops in a
soundbank, the channel assignments become important
when the concept of interchange of MIDI files of recorded performances of
music are contemplated.  Seemingly, it would have been good for the MIDI
association to have consulted with organ manufacturing companies and gotten
a consensus of opinion regarding a fixed specification for assignments.
Certainly, this would not have, in any way, placed a debilitating limitation
on the marketability of a particular companies products and would have
facilitated the interchange which a program like "Organ Assist" does with
respect to the anticipated differences which channel and track
assignments presents to interfacing instruments and recorded performance
MIDI files.
I think what you need to implement is a program which sets the MIDI channel
assignments for your keyboard(s), so you don't have to mess around with
whimsical, arbitrary assignments by the operating system.  Knowing
absolutely nothing about Raspbian OS, I shall hold my peace and not comment
further.