Quantcast

Fw: Question about USB Soundcards

jbeach2646
John,  I regularly use Graham's  Fluidsynth  Port Audio  All 64-bit with
seven instances of Fluidsynth and seven different soundfonts.  I output from
two soundcards, X-Fi Titanium and Realtek Onboard Audio  to two separate
separate speaker systems and a subwoofer, (three amplifiers).  Regarding
reverb, I bulk edited (chain) all the wave files in the soundfonts using
Audacity applying  Cathedral reverb parameters to all.   The result is still
alterable by the Fluidsynth (Room, Width, Damping and Level), but the effect
is that the amplitude of the wave files is reduced and the Cathedral
ambience is improved over wave files at normalized volume.   The Gain
setting in jOrgan can compensate for the reduction in amplitude of the wave
file by the (Audacity process) Effect>Reverb>Manage>Factory
Presets>Cathedral>OK.

Hope this answers some of you questions below.

John Beach

I wonder if Eric or Graham or someone else can expand this conclusion for
me, because I am not  altogether clear on what it is saying. I assume that
the first sentence should have added at the end, “unless you use WASAPI”.
Regarding WDMKS, is it true that it supports multiple instances of
Fluidsynth? (I had the impression that of the Fluidsynth extensions, only
WASAPI does that).

On the matter of ASIO, I take it that multiple audio outputs can be
achieved, but not with multiple instances of Fluidsynth. Some other
soundengine, compatible with ASIO, along with multiple soundfonts, is needed
for multichannel audio, if ASIO is used.  Is this correct? I should also
point out that not all soundcards will work with ASIO, as I think I have
found out to my cost with my recent purchase of such an animal. Fortunately
it did not cost me very much.

I really would appreciate some clarification of these matters, when you have
time.

Re: Fw: Question about USB Soundcards

JohnB,
Thank you for sharing those details. I am pleased for the success you are obviously having in operating jOrgan with multiple audio channels. I have plans to increase my 2-channel jOrgan set-up to four channels, not so much because I feel that normal stereo (2-channel) is inadequate in the domestic situation, but to gain experience with multi-channel operation. At least with that behind me, I may be in a position to help people who wish to go in that direction but are not achieving success.

I might add that my Window 8.1 set-up uses Graham Goode’s  fluidsynth1.1.16 dsound.portaudio.ALL.x86.1.5 backend (i.e. 32-bit), along with Jack, in order to gain better latency and to use the Hibiki VST reverb, and it is allowing me to do this magnificently, but currently it is still two channels only. In Fluidsynth Properties I have set Audio driver to “portaudio”, and Audio device to “JackRouter”.

I have decided to buy a suitable 4-channel USB soundcard which is ASIO-compatible, to enable me to retain the excellent reverberation under 4-channel operation. The HTML document which is included in Graham’s backend folder tells me that it is “built with ASIO, WASAPI and WDMKS”. However, I have found no guidance in the tutorials as to how one indicates that one wishes to use WASAPI (for example), or indeed whether one is actually required to do so. My ignorance and confusion are pretty obvious.