Fw: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

jbeach2646
It would be interesting and valuable to know what the inclusive costs of the
Raspberry Pi, touchscreen display and soundcard are, how they are
configured, how many are necessary for a larger disposition,
e.g., the ACO 104 and 142.   For purposes of portability, it sounds like it
has definite advantages for greater possibilities.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Fw: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Chester Berry
GrahamG:

Thanks for your offer to prepare an image of jOrgan for use on the Raspberry Pi.

John Beach's comments indicate an issue that may need some investigation:  support for HDMI touchscreen displays.
My research indicates that, at least at one time, the Raspbian Lite distribution did NOT have support for HDMI displays included.  This support could be retrofitted by users.  The Raspbian full distribution reportedly has had this support for at least a couple of years.

I would also vastly prefer an image that included support for HDMI touchscreens.

As for John's question about costs, this is an approximate guide to what is available here in the United States (in US$):
Raspberry Pi 3:  $35-40.

USB sound card:  many around $5-$8; be SURE the one you buy is compatible with Linux -- many are designed to work only with Windows, or Windows and Mac.  An example offered by Adafruit, a retailer of much Raspberry merchandise:

HAT sound cards ("Hardware Attached on Top"; these cards connect to the GPIO 40-pin dual-row header.

Several from Hifiberry (www.hifiberry.com); around $25 - 45.

One discussed earlier from AudioInjector (www.audioinjector.net) for around $25.  Currently, the Rasberry Pi reportedly supports a maximum of two channels of audio.

HDMI touchscreen displays have come down dramatically in price from two-three years ago, with 21-24in units now available for $300 or so.  Smaller units are cheaper, but might connect via other means than the HDMI connector (such as the Serial Display Interface - SDI port).  There is a vast array of units available.

Hope this helps!
/s/Chester H Berry

I will be working on this during this week then, and will keep you all
updated with progress.

Kind regards,

Re: Fw: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

rdudevoir

I am currently running a Pi with the 7 in Raspberry Pi touch screen and it works fine.  The touch screen interfaces with the Pi via ribbon cable to the DSI port.

Here are some specifics:  https://www.adafruit.com/product/2718

Ray

On 4/25/2017 5:18 PM, Chester Berry wrote:
[...]

BrianS
Hi Ray and all,

I am currently using a 10 inch touch screen with my Pi, and it connects via HDMI connector.  The touch interface connects via the GPIO pins.  So, the Pi piggybacks on the screen and it appears as one unit.

The company that makes this screen makes various models in different sizes for the Raspberry Pi, ranging from 1 inch to 10 inches.  The company is called WaveShare, and they should be available worldwide.