Fw: Pitch Tuning in jOrgan

jbeach2646
A while ago in late December 2017, I sent the following posting to the jOrgan forum.  I got not input from doing so and, in the interim, another questioned came to mind.
Does the Engaging message below, as comprised, |mult 25 | add 51  change the pitch by a specific degree, such as a semitone when using the slider of the Classic Skin?
Also, in other skins, such as Paul Stratman’s, does each increment of the slider (one single light indicator of the 10 in jOrgan Classic Skin, or of the 20 in the black-background  and yellow-light indicator of the slider of the ACO) indicate a specific degree?   I have found that they are sometimes useful in tuning relative to other General MIDI instruments (e.g., piano), but it would be beneficial to know if they can be used like a transposer to shift the pitch of the entire organ up or down a specific number of semitones for purposes of accompaniment with orchestral instruments in a group.

Thanks in advance for your input.

John Beach

Subject: Re: Pitch Tuning in jOrgan

The following Message works to vary the pitch of referenced stops in a disposition.  This variation is ascending from the recorded pitch of the wave file of the instrument used in the  preset of the soundbank.

Engaging    set 224, set 0, set value | mult 25 | add 51

Would it be possible, using jOrgan’s MPL and the slider elements in the packaged skins of jOrgan, to construct a pitch variation which can vary “minus six semitones” and “plus six semitones”
from the median of the recorded pitch of the wave file of the instrument?  Actually, the breadth of 6 semitones is not necessary, (simply an arbitrary), as the desired goal is to allow for
adjustable tuning, plus or minus, to match other instruments, piano or ensemble, orchestral instruments,  which the organ disposition might be required to accompany.

The slider elements of the classic skin in jOrgan have 10 green lights, starting left to right, effectuating increases in a given parameter value.   Seemingly, what would be needed is a slider with
11 green lights, the center light (6) of which would be the “default” tuning (the recorded pitch of the wave file of the instrument as in the Preset of the soundbank).  To the left of light 6, all values would decrease progressively, and to the right or light 6, all values would increase progressively.

Has anyone tried, or successfully achieved such a “minus-0-plus” tuning capability in a disposition?   If so, could you, please, indicate the name of the disposition, in order that I might inspect
the element construction and messages of the MPL?     Specifically, what variations in the Message would be used to effectuate such a capability?

Thanks in advance for input on this.

Re: Fw: Pitch Tuning in jOrgan

jbeach2646 wrote
> The following Message works to vary the pitch of referenced stops in a
> disposition.  This variation is ascending from the recorded pitch of the
> wave file of the instrument used in the  preset of the soundbank.
>
> Engaging    set 224, set 0, set value | mult 25 | add 51

JohnB,

This message is exactly what Paul Stratman uses in his Mercier Hall VPO. I
have looked at the Skin for that disposition, and it does not use a series
of “segmented” pictures, as far as I can see. Also, I have tested its
behaviour, using the mouse on the Fine Tuning element, and found that it
allows graduations from 0.0 to 0.97 (it may go higher, to 1.0 for example,
but I didn’t test for that), and that it actually registers 1% increments,
if you want to get it that fine. I tested for amount of pitch variation, and
it went from -38 cents to +38 cents. Note that the VPO also has a
Transposer. So it almost meets your needs, but not quite.

I don’t pretend to have deciphered how it actually works, but probably some
variation in the MPL could make it fulfill your needs. The parameters in the
Fine Tuning Properties may also be part of the appropriate adjustments in
your attempts to achieve what you are after.

I might add that Dries Nelemans devised a similar system for my BALMAIN
disposition, where he included a Transposer, and I have simply used these
features in all my later VPO’s. However, his MPL messages are quite
different, and although the Fine Tuning there gives a range of -50 cents to
+50 cents, I could only by using the mouse achieve 10% increments rather
than Paul’s 1% increments.

Re: Fw: Pitch Tuning in jOrgan

jbeach2646
John R. said, "This message is exactly what Paul Stratman uses in his
Mercier Hall VPO."

John,  thanks for your analytical comments on the pitch tuning.  I can not
find any disposition for a "Mercier Hall VPO" at
Stratman Instruments.jamloo.com website.   A Google search did return
picture images for Mercier Hall organ.

Can you possible provide a link for a download of this VPO?

Thanks.