Fw: LAN extension question

jbeach2646
Brian, see my comments after each of you paragraphs below.  They begin with
#2.  In the References for this Generic Sound source, you need to create a
patch list of the Generic soundbank from the MIDI keyboard, if that is what
you want to use.  You may be able to import that from the MIDI Keyboard if
it has a "dump bank" capability, which it should.  Check the Yamaha PSR
owner's manual for the protocol on how to do this.  This is the easiest way.
However, you could make an .ini file of the patch list, since it is General
Midi and the numbers are MIDI standard.  In jOrgan, click File>Import>Patch
List.  The jOrgan disposition needs to have Stop elements placed on the
virtual console which are referenced to the Patch list.
The Message section in jOrgan should show the bank number and preset number
of the General Midi preset you are using for a particular stop.  The "Dump
Bank" capability is a MIDI function which should make this a lot
simpler, since the referencing of Stop and Rank are done automatically in
jOrgan upon "IMPORT,"  just as if
you had imported a soundfont (sf2) file.

This does not seem to be a practical solution at all, and the number of
stops will be
limited to the number of LAN extensions that are implemented in the
dispostion.  There simply has to be a better way than this.

John: First, a LAN extension is a physical cable connection or a WI-FI
connection.  You could not create that many, nor would there be a need to.
jOrgan only needs Keyboard inputs.  The source is some type of MIDI device,
even if it is only Loopbe Virtual Midi Cable to input playback data from
Standard Midi files.   It is MIDI data that is transmitted over the LAN.  It
is NOT sound.   I am guessing that the Generic Sound (from the Yamaha
Keyboard) will come out of the speakers of the Yamaha Keyboard.   You should
be able to get an sf2
soundfont of Yamaha XG sounds (GM) and use that in jOrgan more easily, by
"Import Soundfont".  The idea of inputting MIDI data via LAN to a jOrgan
disposition of Stops made to correspond to the Presets of the Yamaha Midi
Keyboard, having the jOrgan Stops, in turn,  activate the Yamaha Midi
Keyboards internal Presets, seems
a complicated redundancy, however esthetically pleasing it might be.  But,
it should only require two cables, at most, and a single USB-MIDI cable
would suffice and be preferable to two  LAN cables.

John:  I have tried to surmise what your particular situation is and so I
have guessed about some things which may be totally or partially inaccurate.
What we need to know is what the function of the Yamaha Midi Keyboard
will be, if it is not simply transmitting note-on/note-off messages to
jOrgan and is, in fact, the Generic Sound Source which has no soundbank with
presets which are referenced in jOrgan.

John Beach

Any help please.

Re: Fw: LAN extension question

BrianS
Thank you JohnB.

I have completed that Yamaha midi arranger keyboard project, it works quite well now.

the disposition development I am addressing in this post, is one that is 'split' into two, and each 'half' running on a different Raspberry Pi, but both being controlled from a 'master' raspberry Pi.

I have reached the point where I can play notes on the physical manual connected to 'Master' Pi, and the messages are sent to 'slave' Pi, via the LAN 1 lan extension, where the notes are played out to the soundfont and then amp and speakers, so I know the Lan part is working correctly.

I need to get an ellegant way of using only 1 lan between the two Pi's, and still be able to control all the stops on both PI's, and play them as well.