Quantcast

Fw: Fw: WARNING about Dropbox

jbeach2646
Brian,  I suspect that, after about 15 years of working on jOrgan and
perfecting it to the point of a utilitarian value that surpasses that of the
moderately expensive, comparable programs providing virtual
organ capability, it grew to be somewhat tiresome or an imposition requiring
time that he wanted to be able to spend on other things.  I know that he is
aware of how thankful members of this forum are
for the tremendous gift he has given us.  When I first found out about
jOrgan (and I can't remember exactly how that happened, but it was with one
of the very first versions), I had acquired a Creative Labs soundcard
because I had the first PC I ever owned and the modem which was an integral
part of the soundcard was 14.4 Khz.  Remember those?  Snail mail was
slighter faster as I recall.  Anyway, I had to replace the modem, which I
did, with a 33.3 Khz upgradable to 56K V92 or something.  Anyway, the modem
had no soundcard and the sales clerk informed me that I would have to buy a
soundcard.  By pure chance or providence, I selected a Creative Labs AWE 64
with a daughterboard of additional RAM of 4MB.  Anyway, it had soundfont
capability, meaning that I could create my own soundbanks.  Around the same
time I was building a rank of stopped organ pipes and recorded several, from
which I constructed a soundfont and, then, used Hammond Drawbar
registrations to make organ-sound presets.  It was primitive, but some good
Samaritan edited it and it sounded credible.  That soundfont is still
available for download on Hammersound.net.  I followed the SCPOP program
closely, but was put off by the expense of the Sound Canvas 55 and 88 at the
time.  I thought it was remarkably good emulation of organ sound, though.  I
am still surprised at its demise.  The great thing about jOrgan is that it
accomplishes what I could not accomplish in a MIDI sequencer program by
adding multiple tracks with individual channels allowing for the assignment
of presets of organ voices, having to make check-box entries or digits for
controllers to achieve desired effects, a tedious process.  Not to mention
the tremendous contributions of members whose experience and acquired
expertise in wave file editing and feature additions to jOrgan have inspired
me to stay with it.   Any limitations I endure are because of either
knowledge or hardware to make jOrgan elements accessible from the physical
organ console.  But these are minor and a touchscreen monitor would enable
an organist to achieve all of the desired capabilities without changes in
hardware or a knowledge of electronics necessary to
make multiple connections to toe stud, pistons, couplers or stop tabs on the
physical console.  I suspect that even those with factory-MIDI installed on
their organ consoles do not have that ability to
program their physical organ switch elements to effectuate changes on
jOrgan.  Correlating stops between physical organ, stop tabs and jOrgan
stops could be a challenge.

Anyway, I don't think Sven wants to kill off jOrgan.    Besides, we would
have to do without Roy's proverbial "Have Fun!"

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:55 AM, John Beach <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyway, I don't think Sven wants to kill off jOrgan.    Besides, we would
have to do without Roy's proverbial "Have Fun!"

John Beach

You'll all be happy to know that, because of the license, it is not possible to kill jorgan. GNU GPL guarantees that anyone can copy the code, modify it as he likes, and distribute those modifications with or without Sven's permission :-)

If Sven were to do his best to delete the code from the internet, I would simply create a new project page and put the code there where development can continue. Sven is assuredly aware of this (and it is why he chose GNU GPL; he clearly has or had some form of commitment to free software. Unfortunately, I didn't get to know him because I joined at about the same time he was bowing out). Of course, this can happen whether or not "jorgan" ceases as a project. That is, I can go create kOrgan with the same codebase and continue development there while jOrgan development continues under that name. (Needless bifurcation of the code base is harmful for other reasons, but my point is that it's legal.)

Re: Fw: Fw: WARNING about Dropbox

BrianS
Aaron,

Do you are anybody else have access to the source code, how can we safegaurd it, so that it cannot be deleted by a single person, from a single place of existence?

Re: Fw: Fw: WARNING about Dropbox

Aaron Laws
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaron,

Do you are anybody else have access to the source code, how can we safegaurd
it, so that it cannot be deleted by a single person, from a single place of
existence?

Brian.

Certainly! It's freely available online in a SVN repository: https://sourceforge.net/p/jorgan/code/HEAD/tree/
I got it on my machine a long time ago. I had to edit the source to add my custom binary interface :-)