Fw: Fw: Volume or Velocity Settings

jbeach2646
Chris, thanks for the response.  I have a single-page list which is
available on the web, of pipe organ stops arranged in four columns under the
headings of Organ-Tone Registers, Flute-Tone Registers, String-Tone
Registers and Reed-Tone Registers.  Each of the four families of sound has a
Rank Name column, Pitch, Power (from degrees of "piano" (pp, mp, p) to
"forte" (f, mf, ff), or six different loudness levels), and Place (Manual or
Pedal) in the organ divisions with approximately 35 different Rank names in
each of the four families of tone.   What I do not know is what the decibel
equivalents are for each of the 6 relative loudness levels, e.g., pp=x? dB
or fff=x? dB.

I begin by setting all the samples in the sample pool to the same loudness
(Samples>Sample.wav(all samples highlighted)>Tools>Sample>Change
Volume>Percentage>OK), as a base for uniformity from which all different
attenuation settings are made in the instrument level of the Soundfont.
This is purely arbitrary, but 50 percent seems to work.   What I do not know
is
what the industry-standard for musical notation settings (pianissimo,pppp,
through to fortissimo, ffff,   gradations) in decibels would be so that the
proper attenuation levels in the Instrument
pool of the soundfont can be set.

Re: Fw: Fw: Volume or Velocity Settings

jbeach2646 wrote
> I begin by setting all the samples in the sample pool to the same loudness

JohnB,

I have been doing the same for some years. It certainly applies to all the
VPO's I have made using recorded samples. The samples are all 0.5 dB less
than maximum level. The variation has to be done, throughout the one rank,
by the Instrument Attenuation Settings. The Preset Attenuation Settings are
used to set the loudness relative to other ranks.

So here could be another source for the sort of information you are seeking
- at least as regards how various stops relate to each other in loudness.
But there is no industry-standard in these matters as regards ppp to fff
etc. . It all gets down to individual opinions, plus the resources of
particular instruments.

My current approach is to have the Instrument Attenuation Settings at about
20 in the middle octave. But you would need to check this for each rank,
with the main notice being taken of the Preset Attenuation Settings. When
the former settings vary from about 20, you would need to add that
attenuation in dB (8 dB if it is 20) to that applying at the Preset level.
And to avoid confusion, you would then need to treat the total figure as
really being negative in sign ( a rank which has a total of -40 dB
attenuation is 10 dB louder than one with a total of -50 dB). The use of
spreadsheets is recommended as a way to avoid having to make numerous
calculations.