Fw: Fw: The virtual organ, from last week

Fw: Fw: The virtual organ, from last week

jbeach2646
Roy, I think that aging is the reason why “I quite agree!” and haven’t the faintest idea about that with which I am agreeing.  But, since it will quite readily be forgotten, ........

John

Sent: Friday, May 5, 2017 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [jOrgan-user] Fw: The virtual organ, from last week

   On this subject, could I also add a plea to include at least one previous message of the thread. You sometimes see comments like, "I quite agree!" without the faintest idea what the guy is agreeing with!   *:)) laughing

On 5 May 2017 at 16:06, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]> wrote:

About once a year I get on my high horse about this. Sure, I could guess on it base on context, but an extra three or so words per post isn't a lot to ask . . .

On 05/05/2017 09:42 AM, John Beach wrote:
Acronyms and Initialisms (e.g., CPU=Central Processing Unit) are not “evil.”  Collectively, they lack specificity with respect to meaning until defined.  Given the other possible meanings of “MPL,” and the fact that the purpose of this forum deals, fundamentally, with the elaboration of MIDI Programming Language and that the Messages in jOrgan are “MPL,” few, except relative newcomers to this forum, would mistake “MPL” for something other than “MIDI Programming Language.”  The fact is that some of our native, spoken language differences, expressed in written postings in English, probably cause us more doubt regarding the specificity of meaning than the universally-recognized implications of “MPL” do.   Music has been described as the “universal language.”  Yet, the vast majority of people
have no real, in-depth understanding of the principles of music.  They recognize the changes in sounds and pitches and they like or dislike what they hear.  The fact is that understanding the principles of music would not change their perception of liking or disliking something.  It is not...”If I only understood why the progression is from Em7 to Ab6, I would like or dislike it.”  The notion that freedom must
take precedence over any limitation, by natural rule or law or “Construct Mode”  on what can and what can not be done is absurd, as MIDI Programming Language proves.  If there is a beneficial purpose for which a “construct” is formulated by an originator or author, it is purpose which must be the constant determinant of the criteria which, as rules, (“controllers,” for example),  disallow what is, practically, irrelevant to purpose.  Therefore, Pete’s admonition “Never use acronyms without expanding them at least once per post,”  is pedagogically and pedantically, VALID.
I am posting this in the hope that it will make Lynn smile!

John Beach

Sent: Friday, May 5, 2017 8:22 AM
Subject: Re: [jOrgan-user] The virtual organ, from last week

There are several possibilities for MPL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPL#In_computing

Acronyms are evil. Never use acronyms without expanding them at least once per post.

On 05/04/2017 01:55 AM, Julie Porter wrote:
To those interested my dad uploaded to You Tube a video we made testing the organ last week before the meeting.  He showed it at the meeting as my freind(and mentor) was not able to be at the Sunday meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDxGPiai_yU

The video is a bit rough,  my Dad who is 85 enjoys making this sort of video thing.  I was trying to stand out of frame, but he got me anyway.

There is still a lot to do.  The swell pedal midi MPL is what I mostly need...   I was working with the Robert Morton organ today,  I think I can make some skin graphics that duplicate how the shades open.   I crossed the inputs between the trems and the swell pedals and the trem tabs moved when the swell pedal was pressed.   There are both elements that are called Left and Right (Main and Solo on the Wurlitzer.)  My pattern matching on name field had the wrong input pins loaded.   So I still think there is a way to do what I want,

In a pipe organ there is a roller with a triangular piece of foil.  There is one contact per swell blade.   Not unlike the indicator in the disposition.   This might be a better way to do the expression.  Which would be to have something like a Keyer that sets the Volume/Expression in discreet steps similar to the way the Amplitude LCDs work.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Fw: Fw: The virtual organ, from last week

RoyR
That's my alibi for my organ playing... Never mind, it'll soon be forgotten!