Quantcast

Fw: Fw: Setting sample playback speed on the fly

Fw: Fw: Setting sample playback speed on the fly

jbeach2646
Roy,  I was assuming that what Brian was wanting to do was to record the original XG sounds from the Yamaha, as wave files, to be used in a soundfont instrument/preset.  Such would require him to record the samples, played by the Yamaha, and edit them to use in a soundfont.  Without knowing, specifically, whether the recording was a looped, rhythm section, or the difference between what you described, playing a midi file at a setting of 120 beats per minute as opposed/compared to 64 beats per minute, tempo change vis-à-vis pitch or frequency change of the wave file for soundfont instrument or preset purposes.

John

Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: [jOrgan-user] Fw: Setting sample playback speed on the fly

   That's exactly what happens with the jOrgan recorder. If you change the playback speed, the speed changes but not the pitch, you are just sending note-on/note-off messages to the synthesizer at a different rate, the note numbers, hence the pitch, stay the same.

   I just tried it and noticed that, although you can type numbers into the speed panel, that doesn't work, you have to use the speed up/down buttons and wind to the speed you want.

On 29 March 2017 at 14:13, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

I wa hoping it would be possible to speed up or slow down, without changing
the pitch of the sample, from withing the soundfont.  This is because it is
a recording of the 'drum section', playing a specific 'style'.

Re: Fw: Fw: Setting sample playback speed on the fly

BrianS
Unfortunately, what I want to do seems impossible.

I don't want to play a midi file and be able to change the playback speed of said file.

I want to play and on the fly be able to change the playback speed of a single sample embedded into the soundfont.

I'm starting to think it is a bad idea, and will have to look somewhere else to find a replacement for the rhythm section of my old Yamaha organ.

I'm looking at Hydrogen.