Fw: Fw: Question about USB Soundcards

jbeach2646
John R. said, "However, I have found no guidance in the tutorials as to how
one indicates that one
wishes to use WASAPI (for example), or indeed whether one is actually
required to do so."

The Fluidsynth backend is installed in the Fluidsynth folder of jOrgan,
replacing the contents of the fluidsynth default folder.   In jOrgan,
View>Configuration>Fluidsynth, Backend>default is selected.
This includes ASIO, WASAPI and WDM Kernel Streaming (64-bit, in my case).
Then, in Construct Mode, for each instance of Fluidsynth, the Audio Driver
(dropdown window) has two possibilities, dsound and portaudio.  Selecting
"Portaudio," the Audio Device (dropdown window, immediately above), shows
all the possible outputs available from the devices installed on a system.
Mine, for example, shows 20 possibilities for Portaudio.  1. Creative ASIO,
2. Midi Sound Mapper output, 3. Portaudio default, 4. Primary Sound Driver,
5. 3 instances of Realtek Digital Output, 6. 4 instances of SPDIF Creative
and 1 SPDIF Realtek, 7. 4 instances of Speakers Creative X-Fi and 4
instances of Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio.
If "dsound" is chosen for the driver, I have six, device-output
possibilities, although one output can be selected multiple times for as
many instances of Fluidsynth and soundfonts as are desired.  I don't notice
any significant difference in sound quality between dsound and portaudio.
I think sound quality is, to a large extent, dependent on the quality of the
samples used and, certainly, reverb is the greatest single factor to realism
with respect to virtual organ.  Fluidsynth reverb (Room, Width, Damping and
Level) involves parameters which affect the loudness of sound.  I guess this
can not be helped, but I find it to be a bit disconcerting since I have both
division, swell expressions  (cc#11) and Main Volume (cc#7) (for Flutes,
Diapasons, Mixtures and Strings) and separate Reed Volume (cc#7)(for Reeds).
The fact that Reverb parameters dramatically affect loudness is unrealistic.
My guess is that it is the only way that the effect can be achieved
virtually.  Applying reverb to the wave form in Audacity, reduces the degree
to which loudness is changed when the Fluidsynth Reverb
(Room, Width, Damping and Level) are changed.  I have difference instances
of the same, home-made dispositions, one with cathedral reverb applied to
all wave files and one where the wave samples are normalized with no reverb
applied to the samples.  The loudness of the latter can produce an
unrealistic effect which is increased with changes in Fluidsynth reverb.
As I said previously, wave files with applied reverb (as would be the case
with recorded, real pipe sounds in the reverberation ambience of a building)
produce a better effect than the normalized wave files.

I do not have ASIO4ALL installed, and I don't use Creative ASIO which only
allows one instance of Fluidsynth.  Interestingly, while "Speakers Creative
X-Fi" and Speakers "Realtek High Definition Audio" can be selected multiple
times relative to the number of soundfonts in a disposition, (consider the
European Organ and Wanamaker dispositions), Creative ASIO can only be
selected once for one soundfont.  If Creative ASIO is selected for another
instance of Fluidsynth, an "X" will appear on the Fluidsynth instance in
Elements, indicating that the soundfont is not loaded.   Honestly, I don't
know if there is a significant sound quality difference between ASIO and the
others.  I don't have a Digital amplifier, so I have never used SPDIF
output, which is supposed to be superior sound quality.