Fw: Fw: ASIO4ALL question

jbeach2646
Bill, I have had the same problem on some dispositions and it has, usually, been corrected by increasing the Size (of the Audio Buffers), not the Audio Buffers, themselves, which I leave at 8.
Others have wondered at the Size setting that I have found to work.   As you describe the symptoms, of delay and click at the low setting of Size 512, I have experienced the same and  I, normally, would increase the Size in the Customizer until it no longer occurs.   I am not sure if a particular kind of MIDI interface between jOrgan and a physical console  has any effect on latency or if the effect might be radically different relative to different interfaces.  That your particular problem is resolved by decreasing, rather than increasing, the size of the buffers is
a puzzle to me.  If I decrease the size, the problem becomes much worse.

John

Sent: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: [jOrgan-user] Fw: ASIO4ALL question

Hi John,

On this particular computer, increasing the buffers creates latency.  At 1024 the latency is annoying, and above 2048 the delay so confusing as to make the disposition unplayable.

Strangely, even with large buffers my problem persists.  I may have poorly described the problem as latency.  What is happening is that with buffers of 512 most notes play promptly, but random notes
seem to be delayed, and are accompnied by a click when they do play.  With larger buffers all notes are delayed, and the clicks still occur.  It acts like the OS is busy doing something other than attending to JOrgan, and then returns to that task clumsily, making a click.

Thanks,

Bill

Re: Fw: Fw: ASIO4ALL question

morcc
Hi John,

Buffer size is what I increased---the number of buffers was left at 8.

A little more experimentation sheds some light on the problem:

1. The problem occurs when a note is played using the on-screen keyboard in the view menu.  Since this playing does not involve the physical keyboard, the MIDI interface from the physical keyboard is likely not the culprit.

2. It is not necessary to play more than one note to have the problem.  A single note played continually through the on-screen keyboard is interrupted by occasional clicks.  The problem seems to be that the computer is not servicing the note continually.

Thanks,

Bill