Fw: Controlling stop and tab solenoids

jbeach2646
"How do I get the physical stops on the organ to move in response to a
particular preset button?"

On some physical organ consoles the stop tabs do not move with
factory-assigned stop combinations.  That is,
when a piston/button is pushed, a preset combination of stops (1=pp,2=p,
3-mf, 4=f, 5=ff, 6=fff) is engaged, but the physical tabs or
drawstops/drawbars do NOT move to indicate that they are on.  The moving of
the tab or drawstop or drawbar, itself, is what causes a relay to be
activated which moves the slider under a rank of pipes or engages/closes the
oscillator/tone generation circuitry in electronic/digital organs, leaving
the depression of a key (switch/lever) as the sole completion action in
producing a sound.  In MIDI, this process CAN NOT be accomplished by some
technique of "reverse wiring."  The tab or drawstop  is mechanical, but
causes an electrical connection, but this is not mechanically "reversible."
In other words, the physical opening of the switch (electrical), the closure
of which is activated by the tab or drawstop (mechanical), does not move the
tab or drawstop by a depression of the CANCEL piston which is electrical and
not mechanical.  The General Cancel cancels all stops, electrically, but not
the stop tabs or drawstops,  mechanically.   In vintage Allen organs, this
is the case.  In more recent organs, they have the capability to do both,
effectuating mechanical changes of stop tabs and drawstops by electrical
circuits.

console, stop tab or drawstop, has to be connected/wired to the KEYMUX64
board and the software instructions for activation/deactivation (MIDI
Boutique) programmed/entered in the MIDI Boutique software program.  This
sets up the combination presets as simple numbers, 1,2,3 etc. Then, the
combination pistons in jOrgan which are 1,2,3, etc., and engage, as presets,
selected stop combinations on the jOrgan virtual organ console would be
activated by the physical
piston on the physical organ console.  These would function in any jOrgan
disposition.   However, you will never be able to coordinate virtual stops
on a jOrgan virtual console with the physical stops on your physical organ
console.  More than likely, with a few exceptions, they are not the same
names.   Theoretically, stop tabs or drawstops could be assigned numbers,
and activated by jOrgan, but this is MIDI Boutique software and hardware
"hardwired."  Since all jOrgan dispositions vary because of a lack of
permanently assigned numbers for organ stop (presets) in soundbanks, unlike
General MIDI soundbanks,  where, for example, 001=Acoustic Grand Piano,
ALWAYS, there was never established a fixed preset list by the MIDI
Association for the assignment of organ stop/names.  Why they have not done
this is anybody's guess, since economic competition does not seem to be a
logical reason.  However, Napoleon once said, "Regimentation leads to
mediocrity."  I don't know if I agree with him or not.  Presumably,
Josephine must have known for certain.  I don't think the idea is applicable
to MIDI.