Quantcast

Fw: Changing Midi interface upon reboot

jbeach2646
Brian, what interface software do you use for the assignment of different,
physical hardware (organ manuals and pedalboard) of the physical organ
console (your Yamaha PSR?)?  If it is the
Linux "default" MIDI driver which merely detects a USB connection from the
MIDI keyboard, there may be no way to, permanently, assign a fixed MIDI
channel number.   Theoretically, MIDI
instruments, when turned on, default automatically to MIDI channel 1.
Analog organs which have been midified, or digital organs with midi,  have
software programs which set the send/receive
channels for the Swell, Great and Pedal boards or any other manuals which
may be present on the physical organ console.   (eg., Swell=1, Great=2,
Pedal=3, etc.)
In jOrgan, Customizer, Customize Disposition, Device settings,  the channel
number for each division of the disposition of the virtual organ can be set
by MIDI Channel Number.  This may
solve the problem of random reset.  I seem to remember that Sven explained
an "on-the-fly" channel-assignment capability within Fluidsynth which
compensated for polyphony limitations or the
exceeding of channel limitations by the number of selected stops.  In MIDI
sequencer programs, for example, only ONE preset/program change/organ stop
voice is assignable to a channel, although multiple tracks of different
note-on/note-off messages for each track are permissible using the same
channel (which will, of course, be the same preset/program change or organ
stop voice).
Since there are only 16 channels per MIDI synthesizer and there are two MIDI
synthesizers (A and B) in Creative Labs Soundcards, Fluidsynth has the
ability to use from 16 to 32 MIDI channels per
soundcard device.  If or since jOrgan and Fluidsynth allow more than one
organ stop or Midi Preset/Program change per channel (apparently, similar to
the concept of tracks, described above).

Hope this helps.