Fw: ASIO4ALL question

jbeach2646
Bill, on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, I have found that the Audio
Buffers and Size, in particular, in File>Customize>Customize Fluidsynth
Sound, need to be higher than what
has often been the default settings which disposition creators have set in
their offerings.   I rarely find that latency can be eliminated with a Size
setting of less than 1024.  In fact, one
of my own dispositions has a size setting of 2560.  There are no issues at
this setting.   I am not sure what the correlative factors to the latency
problem are, whether RAM memory, processor
speed, etc.  In dispositions of more than one soundfont in the "Customize
Fluidsynth Sound, all the settings for each instance of Fluidsynth should be
the same.   Try increasing the Size of the Audio Buffers and see if that
eliminates the latency.

I do not have ASIO4ALL installed, but I do have Creative ASIO (with Creative
Labs Soundcards), and there is only one instance available of that in the
element Fluidsynth Sound (Source) and because I have multiple soundfonts, I
can not use Creative ASIO.

Hope this helps.

Re: Fw: ASIO4ALL question

morcc
Hi John,

On this particular computer, increasing the buffers creates latency.  At 1024 the latency is annoying, and above 2048 the delay so confusing as to make the disposition unplayable.

Strangely, even with large buffers my problem persists.  I may have poorly described the problem as latency.  What is happening is that with buffers of 512 most notes play promptly, but random notes
seem to be delayed, and are accompnied by a click when they do play.  With larger buffers all notes are delayed, and the clicks still occur.  It acts like the OS is busy doing something other than attending to JOrgan, and then returns to that task clumsily, making a click.

Thanks,

Bill