Found this gem

eagles051387
Hi Guys,

Found this by chance as I am subscribed to this persons channel. Is that jOrgan he has on the screen or another virtual organ program running?

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Found this gem

grahamg
Hi Jonathan,

As stated in the YouTube description, this is the HW Bovenkerk Organ
in Kampen Netherlands. HW = Hauptwerk. Available for Hauptwerk from
Milan Digital Organs
(https://www.milandigitalaudio.com/instruments/baroque/1741-bovenkerk-hinsz/?back=Instruments).

GG

On 10/8/18, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Found this by chance as I am subscribed to this persons channel. Is that
> jOrgan he has on the screen or another virtual organ program running?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JXzppyAnv0&feature=em-uploademail
>

> Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Found this gem

Jonathan, that is a Hauptwerk (HW) organ, and it is most likely the disposition and sample set found at this link.
https://www.hauptwerk.com/news/news/2009/10/05/mda-bovenkerk-hinsz-volume-3-released/  The sample set is by Milan Digital Audio, but the link to it appears to be down.

John B.

Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:51 AM
Subject: [jOrgan-user] Found this gem

Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:51 AM

Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:51 AM

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Found this gem

Pete Theisen
Well there are several observations. "Someone" was probably not using a full registration at choir rehearsal, YOU may not have the hearing acuity to detect intermodulation distortion - which is always present to some degree in speaker systems or maybe the church has a very fine (and expensive) sound system to play the organ through. Or maybe all three factors are at work.

This is not to consider what organ you are considering fully fledged. Some pipe organs are barely able to bring on two or three stops and those two or three stops could be needing attention. "Deferred maintenance" in reference to pipe organs is getting to mean no maintenance at all.

It is not unusual to have custom organ builders building additions using 6" by 9" speakers for a full rank of virtual pipes, and no bass speakers at all, relying on whatever they are adding to. The 6" x 9" struggles on the 8' note and falls apart completely when coupled trying to play chords. They charge 6 figures for that kind of work . . .

If you are satisfied with it though. Not in my church . . .

On 10/08/2018 08:10 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
[...]

The people who can hear it are the younger people, whom the church needs to attract. They will say they don't like the church because of the organ music without realizing what they are (painfully!) hearing is not actually an organ.

Meanwhile, the profiteers, vacuum up as much money as they dare for a product that is in fact destructive to the church and disappear . . .

Ironically, the church tries to appeal to this group with "praise band" services. If you go to that service you find that the people are there because the "praise band" plays at an hour convenient to their schedule, the time being the draw rather than the heathen music . . .

In a church, use a real pipe organ.

On 10/08/2018 08:47 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
[...]

I think a reasonably good sound could be achieved with a minimum of 4 separate, computer-audio outputs and four amplification/speaker systems.   This would allow the segregation of the output of
all four families of organ timbers, diapasons, strings, flutes and reeds, and the naturally environmental-acoustic mixing of the sound of the stops used.   In some of the older Windows operating systems, it was possible to have more than 2 soundcards in the expansion slots, plus onboard audio.  Unfortunately, Windows 10 will only recognize and allow one soundcard in an expansion slot, plus onboard audio.  This means that a compensatory arrangement of the sound output must be made.  In creating soundfonts, I made the individual presets/stops as individual families of tonality, one soundfont containing all flute stops, one for all string stops, one for all diapasons/principals, and one for all reeds.  Since principals and reeds are, fundamentally, the same in design with the exception of
the smaller scaling and harmonic brakes for strings, I output these using one soundcard to one amplification/speaker system.  Flutes and reeds are outputted by the other soundcard to a separate speaker system.  This seems to be the best method, given the most frequent combinations of (ensemble) sounds that are used independently on the manuals and for trios, or pieces with a solo stop on the swell and accompaniment on the great.
I have not tried external, USB soundcards and don’t know if the same Windows 10 limitation applies to them or if it might be possible to have 4 audio outputs, or even more.

Church music is so culturally infused and the changes have been so drastic that we, older senior citizens, find it difficult to accept it.  The rhythms are intense and loud in praise band videos and, often,
detract from the message in the lyrics of contemporary, Christian worship.   While they might be a “joyful noise,” they often are more akin to the spiritual “sounding brass and tinkling cymbal,”  overwhelming the sensibilities and sensitivities to make reflective meditation a near impossibility.   The percussive sound of a drum can not possibly set a mood conducive to “be still and know.”
We have lost any sense of the propriety of the separation of church from secular, cultural influences which demean it.

John Beach

Re: Found this gem

jbeach2646
My mistake  “Since principals and reeds are”  should be “principals and strings STRINGS, not reeds.

John Beach

R: Found this gem

jOrgan - User mailing list

I think it’s Hauptwerk.