Fluidsynth reverb settings

Mark Debono

I have been reading on how to set up reverb in Fluidsynth and found posts over here with typical settings for each of the four parameters (room, damping, width, level). As far as I could understand, they are all on a scale 0-100. However when I created the elements in jOrgan and plugged in the values, they were not accepted and I soon realised that they must be between 0 and 1. Is this correct? Moreover, when I plugged in "acceptable" values, no reverb effect came out whatsoever.

I am using jOrgan 3.20 installed on a Pentium 4 machine with 2Gb RAM and a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy. The OS is Windows XP 32-bit Service Pack 3. I am using dsound as my audio driver and Creative as my audio device. I was also trying to use Portaudio with ASIO, Jack, etc. but none seem to work. Do these work on Windows XP?

Regards to all,
Mark

PS: I also have the option of using Creative EAX and just forget about Fluidsynth reverb. What do you think?

Re: Fluidsynth reverb settings

Paul Stratman-2
You are correct, the values must be between 0 and 1.

I wrote an explanation of how the settings work, which may be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/6rrmwfdgofmj9gh/Making_the_Most_of_Fluidsynth_Reverb.pdf

The four Fluidsynth reverb elements must be referenced to the Fluidsynth sound element in order to work.

Hope that helps

Paul

Re: Fluidsynth reverb settings

Mark Debono
Thanks a lot Paul, much appreciated. I had forgotten to reference to the Fluidsynth element :-(

Regarding the last part of my post, would you personally rather prefer going for EAX reverb?

Regards,
Mark

Re: Fluidsynth reverb settings

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
Nice to see another Maltese organist on board.

Have you seen my website about the Maltese Organ project?

Regards
Mark (another one!)

On 27/11/2014 14:53, Mark Debono wrote:
Thanks a lot Paul, much appreciated. I had forgotten to reference to the
Fluidsynth element :-(

Regarding the last part of my post, would you personally rather prefer going
for EAX reverb?

Regards,
Mark

Re: Fluidsynth reverb settings

Paul Stratman-2
If you've got EAX, use it! The older drivers for Windows XP were better and allowed customization. The newer ones for later versions of Windows only have general presets that aren't customizable.

As you see in the essay, Fluidsynth is far from the gold standard of reverb, but it's better than nothing. You may find Fluidsynth to be more adjustable than EAX (if you have the newer drivers). Fluidsynth sounds a bit "tanky" or metallic if "Level" is too high.

Re: Fluidsynth reverb settings

Mark Debono
Hello Mark, I share the same feeling as you of course :-)

I had a close look at your website... very interesting indeed and I think we should have a live chat soon! I have a 3 manual organ at home which I have modified/improved several times. Now experimenting with jOrgan (I had installed it way back in 2008 but never had the time to experiment seriously).

Regards,
Mark

Re: Fluidsynth reverb settings

Dr Mark Bugeja MD