Fluidsynth Version 1 Reverb

Graham Wilkes has recently mentioned that the Fluidsynth
Version 2 reverb is better than that provided in Version 1.
Graham Goode told us in a post in January that Version 2
has a new reverb engine. I missed that post at the time.

However, I have begun to wonder whether Fluidsynth
Version 1 had improved its reverb, without anyone here
noticing it. In my work on archiving jOrgan dispositions,
at times I have used FS Reverb parameters at settings
much higher than my usual practice. An example is with
Chris Pearson’s Durham Cathedral. I was very surprised
to find that the undesirable ringing and metallic sound
which we associate with the FS Reverb was missing,
as far as I could tell. In fact my initial impression is that
it is now very usable indeed.

I would like to hear from anyone who can duplicate this,
and tell us what you think of the sound.

With WIDTH of 1, DAMPING of 0.2, try using ROOM
in the range 0.95 to 1, and LEVEL in the range 0 to 0.1.
If you are using console sliders for this, it may be
necessary to go into Construct and Reverb Parameter
Properties to reduce the Threshold number. But for the
purposes of the exercise, I think it would be better simply
to change the parameter number directly. I have been
finding the slider method less precise.

Admittedly the ranges I have suggested above deliver
cathedral-like ambience, but it is with this kind of
ambience that the old FS Reverb showed its limitations
most obviously.

Re: Fluidsynth Version 1 Reverb

jbeach2646
John R.,  I concur with your findings and I noticed the improvement in
version 2.0 immediately when it was released a while back.  I, also, deleted
the sliders as controls for the reverb and use the counter instead.   I have
entered Paul Stratman's equivalencies for Impulse Responses for concrete
blocks to the Zwolle Grote Kerk as fixed combinations for quick changes.
There are eight of those, leaving a 0 combination for "off."   I do think
they need a lower setting of "level".   I will try your settings.

Re: Fluidsynth Version 1 Reverb

jbeach2646 wrote
> I will try your settings.

JohnB,

Thank you. I look forward to hearing your opinion. But
make sure you do this using Fluidsynth Version 1. That
was the whole point of my post.