Quantcast

Fluidsynth Audio Buffer, Buffer Size and Polyphony

Fluidsynth Audio Buffer, Buffer Size and Polyphony

Mark Debono
Hi all,

I had quite a hard time until I managed to produce sounds without occasional dropouts, clicks and distortions using Fluidsynth. Finally I decided to start experimenting with the values for Buffer, Buffer Size and Polyphony since I was suspecting latency issues which everyone seems to have experienced at some stage. I got the best results at Audio Buffer 8, Buffer size 128 and Polyphony 128.

I am running jOrgan 3.20 on a Pentium 4 machine with 2Gb RAM, in Windows XP SP3. As my sound engine I have Fluid synth default (no Portaudio, Jack, ASIO, etc.) hooked to a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy.

1) I was a bit surprised that I had to depart from the default values since I always thought that my machine was powerful enough. Any feedback as to why I was compelled to change these settings would be appreciated.

2) Also guidelines on how to check that latency etc. are optimal.

3) I would also like to try out Jack, ASIO and the rest. Do these work on Windows XP? Is there a real advantage departing from the default supplied with jOrgan 3.20?

Regards,
Mark

Re: Fluidsynth Audio Buffer, Buffer Size and Polyphony

Mark,

I note that this post of yours has gone unanswered. You may do better if you post it to the main Forum. I'm not sure about the answers to your questions, so I have refrained from making comments.